The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old October 31, 2011, 02:31 PM   #1
howwie

My best shot happened last week

I'm not a highly skilled marksman, I don't claim to be able to recreate this shot. But, it was fun, it felt great, and I'm sharing
I live in mid Georgia, I've hunted the same land my whole life. All the deer I've ever shot were within 175yds give or take.
I was walking to my stand at one end of a large field (one of the few on the property) and I saw a doe way down on the other end. My winchester .243 has yet to miss or have a deer take more than a step or 2. She's a tack driver. I'm not, but on this day I was. I guessed the distance at 250 yds plus, my gun zeros at 200. I hate when people wound and lose deer, so I wasn't gonna try a heart shot. I went prone and propped rifle on fallen tree, I watched her for about 2 minutes deciding on could I make a headshot or not. About that time I decided, if I make it she'll go down, a miss should be clear and not injure her. She was walking broadside into the woods so I yelled "hey!" and she froze and looked my way. I put the crosshairs between the ears and squeezed that trigger. She was belly up with a hole in the forehead when I got to her. It was a clean kill, like I said I probably couldnt do it again, I've never shot targets that far. But it was a cool experience. My dad came and we paced off the shot at approx 280 to 300 yards.
I know the Midwestern hunters are making shots like that at 4 years old but it was fun for a Georgia boy
Old October 31, 2011, 04:24 PM   #2
JohnO

Let me see if I got this right.

Your not a skilled marksman.
You never shot passed 175 yds
You "guessed" the distance the deer was at.
Then, you proceeded to make a head shot.

Hmmm. I'll let someone else comment on this one.

However, glad it all worked out and your happy.
Old October 31, 2011, 05:02 PM   #3
Melting

Edited out
Old October 31, 2011, 05:05 PM   #4
Buzzcook

Good shot. Have fun eating Bambi's mom.
Old October 31, 2011, 05:06 PM   #5
PawPaw

Glad it worked out. Sounds like you thought about the shot, did the prep work and made it when it counted. Good shooting.

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com
Old October 31, 2011, 05:23 PM   #6
Wyoredman

Excellent! I am glad you got her. The .243 is a good hunting tool and you made a great shot. Thanks for posting your story. I bet you start shooting that rifle at longer ranges during practice from now on since you have proven to yourself it can be done. Good on you.