The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old March 1, 2006, 03:59 PM   #1
rnovi

ATN Ultra Sight Digital Compact Red Dot? Opinions?

Well, last night was an interesting day at the range. Both of my red-dots (cheapo Tasco's) "failed" under the recoil of a 180 grain .357 mag load from my 6" GP100. Pity that. So now I am in the market for a new Dot.

I checked out the C-More sights - the exposed lense really makes me nervous. I like the shrouded lenses more on the ATN and HoloSights. This will be a hunting firearm as well as a heavy use range pistol and will take some abuse. The ability of the sight to absorb and shrug off recoil is absolutely paramount.

Options:
ATN Ultra Sight Digital Compact: $140 shipped. I really like the size of this unit - it appears to be the smallest on the market and the price is right. However I haven't been able to find any substantial reviews on it that would indicate if it's a good unit or not.

Bushnell HoloSight: $250 shipped. Well, this one has a good reputation but I'm not too fond of the size (and the price is really starting to push it for me). It's a little bigger than I really want, but it would still fit in my highly customized (ie: cut with a soldering iron) Uncle Mike's holster.

EoTech 510: $340 shipped. The 510AA is really pushing the size envelope here at over 5" long so the standard N-cell 510 would have to do. I truly don't know if I really need the metal hood that protects the site as compared to the Bushnell. If this is the absolute holo-sight to go with, I can make the budget but it's gonna hurt a bit. It's the size that concerns me the most. It's no bigger than the RedDot I had on before though...

Other notes: The ATN claims a 22mm round lense (ie: 1" lense) while the Bushnell/Eotech claims a 1.25 wide x .75 high lense. I really don't know if this makes any difference.

I am open to any opinions here folks. I'd like to plunk my money down sooner than later (before the wife finds out about my stash!).

(PS: I did a search on both TFL and High Road and didn't find anything about the ATN's, hence my question.)

"Remember, Eagles may soar but Weasels don't get sucked into jet engines!"
Old March 2, 2006, 08:47 PM   #2
sjstill

Had a non-digital ATN on my AR15. Self destructed after two mags.

Try an OKO Reflex. Very rugged. Believe they even make a 'cage' for them, too.

Bushnell makes a low-profile Holosight, saw it in a recent Cabelas catalog. About the same $$ as the regular Holosight, but nice low profile.

The primary target is what we call the thoracic triangle. Shots to this area tend to make people FDGB (“fall down go boom”).
Old March 2, 2006, 09:18 PM   #3
darkvibe

My dad had an ATN on a .22 and i LOVED it. Unfortunately it died after a while. I know it's a broad estimate but it might have lasted about 1-2 years of shooting 1-2 nights a week with approx. 100 rounds per night.

I can't imagine the thing lasting long on a .357.
Old March 3, 2006, 01:57 AM   #4
rnovi

Thanks for the info on the ATN stuff. I crossed it off the list and ended up ordering the basic N-Cell Bushnell Holosight. I just can't quite see needing the full blown Eotech steel cage military grade sight. I'm not quite that abusive! The AA version of the Holosight might be better from a battery perspective, but it's just too long for the pistol.

thanks for the info on ATN!

"Remember, Eagles may soar but Weasels don't get sucked into jet engines!"
Old March 3, 2006, 02:44 AM   #5
3 gun

I don't know anything about that red dot but I can steer you in the right direction. Take a look at the Millett SP line of red dots. They have 1" and 30mm sizes with 3 or 5 moa dots with 11 brightness settings. They also have a 30mm with 3, 5, 8 or 10 moa dots. They also make scope mounts and rings for most handguns, rifles and shotguns. Natchezss has then on sale for $80 to $90. I had the 1" 3 moa scope on an M1a until the mount failed. M1a's are known for breaking scopes but it couldn't break this one, I doubt your 357 will either. Good stuff, I just got a 30mm while they're on sale.
Opportunity knocks..Trouble kicks down the door.