The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old March 11, 2008, 12:45 AM   #1
FLYWAY5

Smith And Wesson 629-5 Mountain Backpacker

Wondering Numbers Built,years Built And Value.ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED.THANK YOU
Old March 11, 2008, 05:50 AM   #2
kamerer

These were built I believe in 98 and 99. Don't know how many total, but that's not terribly important as they were a continuing variation on round-butt 3" 629's that started in 1985 or 86 with the "Lew Horton" specials built in that configuration starting then. On the good side, they were pre-lock. On the down side, it did have the post-cylinder stop "gash" on the left frame, internal firing pin, and MIM hammer and trigger.

I think the 629-5 came with finger groove combat grips, but hard laminate ones, not the goncalo alves or morado wood ones like on the 80s and early 90s models. If it does not have the original wood grips, a deduction of $75 to $100 is in order.

Starting with the 85/86 models, these powerful snubbies trade for about $750 $850 or more in very good/excellent condition. Scale slides downward over time as engineering changes cheapened the design and construction, for example, the laser etching of the name on the barrel instead of metal stamping, a feature that wears off with cleaning and polishing.

That said, a 3", pre-lock 629 is still a desirable gun, and a price around $550 to $600 for one would be good - much more and you'd be better off with an earlier model for the small premium you could get one of them for.

Hope that helps, or at least gives you some info to chew on.
Old July 16, 2008, 11:37 AM   #3
FLYWAY5

Thank You

I Appreciate The Info..i Am New To This Threading Stuff,,what Happened To The Old Forums??????just Type And Send.anyway Thanks Again.