The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old June 18, 2012, 11:34 AM   #1
awaveritt

Is FFFFg good for anything?

I recently acquired a lb. of Goex FFFFg. Has anyone ever used this granulation in cap n ball or cartridge loading, or is it only useful as a flash pan primer?

BTW, this is from an old lot from when it was still made in Pennsylvania.
Old June 18, 2012, 11:45 AM   #2
Rifleman1776

It is primarily a pan primer for flintlocks.
However, it is successfully used in C&B revolvers.
But, personally, I would use only in better quality C&B revolvers. Some of the older El Cheapos are not always made with quality materials and the increased pressure might exceed what they can tolerate.
As far as age is concerned, if kept dry it will still be good centuries from now.
Old June 18, 2012, 11:59 AM   #3
Jim Watson

I have heard of people doing black powder only duplexing with some fine-grained powder under the main charge of medium or coarse. Sounds like a lot of work for what you get... if anything.
Old June 18, 2012, 12:24 PM   #4
duelist1954

I always use it in .31 caliber C&B revolvers.
Old June 18, 2012, 02:40 PM   #5
bedbugbilly

I use it for priming my flintlocks . . . a pound of it lasts a looooong time!

As stated by duelist . . . a lot of folks us it in the 31 cal. pocket pistols like the Wells Fargo Model, '49 Pocket, Pocket Remington, etc.
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old June 18, 2012, 03:27 PM   #6
mykeal

Why use it in .31 cal revolvers and not .36 cal revolvers? What's the advantage, and how does the finer granulation create that advantage?
Old June 18, 2012, 06:54 PM   #7
B.L.E.

I use it as a main charge for my muzzleloading derringer pistol. You use less powder so there is more barrel available to accerlerate the ball.

I use it sometimes in my ROA if I want maximum velocity with a round ball. I haven't chronographed it yet but Lyman claims 1036 fps with a 41 grain charge of Goex FFFFg. A 40 grain charge of FFFg only results in 917 fps.

I use Swiss NullB for priming flintlocks now. There used to be some Goex 7f going around but I haven't seen any for sale lately.
Old June 18, 2012, 07:53 PM   #8
Al Den

Priming, especially matchlocks and wheelocks. I would NOT load pistols with it over a .22. Remember that velocity is exponential in the calculation for a bullet's energy.

Energy = (Mass/2) * (Velocity*Velocity)

A little velocity? That means alot more energy. That's pressure. That could be dangerous well beyond what looks like a small change in velocity.
Old June 18, 2012, 10:40 PM   #9
freedom475

I use 4f in my 44 Remingon 1858 with round balls for deer hunting. 25gr of 4f gives me 930fps...that is still slower than Pyrodex P but quite a bit faster than 3f which only yields 780fps. You can sure hear a difference in the muzzle report if you shoot it a lot.

I researched the use of 4f a lot and I even went over the testing data with a ballistics tech... his pressure testing did always show an increase in pressure but there was never any danger until the powder column reached +3" in length...When the powder column reaches 3 inches in length, bad things happen with 4ffff.

Mister, why do you carry a 45? "Cause Sam Colt don't make a 46."
Old June 19, 2012, 06:34 AM   #10
B.L.E.

Lyman did some pressure testing using a modified cap and ball revolver. 37 grains of powder 3f and 4f resulted in 7,420 and 7,940 LUP using Goex powders.
C&H 4f actually produced lower pressure than Goex 3f, 6820 LUP.

Looking at these pressures and considering the fact that a Ruger Old Army is essentially a Super Blackhawk converted to a cap and ball revolver, I'm not worried about it blowing up with 4f.

It's just the next smaller granulation of black powder, not dynamite.
Old June 19, 2012, 09:56 AM   #11
noelf2

Quote:
Why use it in .31 cal revolvers and not .36 cal revolvers? What's the advantage, and how does the finer granulation create that advantage?
Depending on the revolver, you usually can get more powder in a .36. For something like a baby dragoon in .31 the ffffg is supposed to give you a bit more power/velocity than fffg in such a small chamber. At least that's the theory. I don't have much use for ffffg. I use fffg in the flash pan and barrel of my flintlock rifle. I'm sure there's a difference in lock time, but I sure don't notice it.
Old June 19, 2012, 01:06 PM   #12
robhof

robhof

I've used it in my ROA on many occasions, after originally running out of 3f at the range and having a priming horn of 4f, I tried it and it worked fine. I have used it many times since and also use it in my 31 Wells Fargo. The only difference besides a little more pressure is using more powder to fill the same space as the 3f.

Tags
bp cartridge , cap n ball , ffffg