The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old January 7, 2009, 03:00 PM   #1
jaymag

56.cal thompson renagade max load???

My friend is going hunting for turkey and other birds.He does not have a F.I.D. card.I suggested the most powder.To take far shots at wings or heads.I told him 100gr. of triple seven is the most I would go.That's like shooting 120gr.of other powders.But does anyone know the max load.I would probley call thomson,just to make sure.
Old January 7, 2009, 04:15 PM   #2
Pahoo

Hi Jaymag,
I'm thinking you are talking about a .50 or 54 as they did not make a .56. You really have to be careful when dealing with max loads. My T.C. Hawken models list a max load of BP at 120 grns. For 777 I would reduce by 15%. I seldom go to max loads on anything except when I go out west, and never in my side cockers. I would recommend you go ahead and phone T.C. tech support.

Triple Seven is a high energy product designed to provide the muzzleloading hunter with higher velocities when used in the same VOLUME as blackpowder. To duplicate a blackpowder load velocity using Triple Seven, you must decrease the powder charge by 15%.

Be Safe !!!
Old January 7, 2009, 06:07 PM   #3
eastbank

TC did or does make a 56 cal smooth bore shotgun. eastbank.
Old January 7, 2009, 06:10 PM   #4
jaymag

Pahoo!56CAL!

Yes they do make 56cal. thomson reagade.I"ve personally owned one.Along with several peaple I know.They really never sold better than the 50cal.They are not as common.But I assure you they are out there.Nice shooting gun out 50yrd. for a smooth bore.They shot tokoa mountain balls really well.I don't beleive you can buy them anymore.
Old January 7, 2009, 07:57 PM   #5
Pahoo

WOW,
That one snuck up on me. I thought we were talking about a Renegade rifle. Have to admit that I have never seen or even heard of one. Thanks for the education. I'm going to have to do a little research. I understand now that we are talking about a smooth bore or what I call a musket.

Be Safe !!!!

Last edited by Pahoo; January 8, 2009 at 09:54 AM. Reason: Correction info
Old January 7, 2009, 08:02 PM   #6
Jim Watson

It's not a shotgun, it is what the collectors call, for lack of a better term, a "smoothbore rifle." There is one state whose game laws define a "primitive weapon" as a smoothbore. So TC accomodated the market with a .56 to fire a patched ball.
Old January 8, 2009, 03:19 AM   #7
arcticap

Here's the TC Sidelock manual.

http://www.tcarms.com/assets/manuals...owder_Guns.pdf

The .56 Renegade loads are listed on pages 76 & 77.
The maximum loads are listed as 120 grains for both the .54 & .58, but only 100 grains for the .56 with a PRB, and 80 grains when loaded with 7/8's oz. of shot.
The .56 maximum loads do seem to be a little extra precautionary.
Old January 8, 2009, 05:59 AM   #8
darkgael

fowler

Though most often used to describe flintlocks, the term "fowler", "fowling gun", "fowling piece" is a common term for for smoothbores of this type.
Traditional fowlers commonly had barrels of 42" or more. I have one with a barrel of that length in .62 (20ga) by Matt Avance of Tennessee Valley MLing. I also have a .54 cal (28ga) smoothbore barrel for my Lyman GPR flinter, making it a short barreled fowler. The Lyman with a tightly patched PRB and 70 grs. of fffg shoots like a rifle at 50 yards.
The lower powder charge for the smoothbore shot load makes sense to me as heavier charges blow the shot pattern, at least in my guns.
Think in terms of drams. A normal 12 ga. BP shotgun loading was about 3 drams of ffg, about 83 grains. For a 20...less. For a 24 or 28, still less. 60 grains is a good place to start with 3/4 to one ounce of shot. A good place for more info is the smoothbore forum at the traditional ML site http://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/fusionbb/index.php.
Pete