The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old July 10, 2009, 08:33 PM   #1
C&BGuy

Switching Frames...

Is it possible to switch a brass frame off of a .44 '51 with a steel case hardened frame?
Old July 10, 2009, 10:05 PM   #2
madcratebuilder

Yes it is.
Old July 10, 2009, 10:28 PM   #3
C&BGuy

Where could i acquire a steel frame?
Old July 10, 2009, 11:15 PM   #4
Fingers McGee

Try Taylor's They list frames in their parts breakdowns.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce
Old July 11, 2009, 07:21 AM   #5
madcratebuilder

Quote:
Is it possible to switch a brass frame off of a .44 '51 with a steel case hardened frame?
I apologize for my smartass reply I see your new, welcome to the forum.
You can swap frames. It takes some gunsmithing skills, probably the hardest part is fitting the barrel lug and arbor and setting the barrel gap. If you have to buy a new frame it is kind of cost prohibitive. It would be cheaper in the long run to sell the brasser and just buy a new steel frame revolver. The brass frame .44 Pietta is a good little shooter, just keep the loads under 25gr or so. I bought one last year when Cabela's had them for a hundred bucks. I have shot it on several outing, it's actually a very nice shooter, very nice trigger with good timing. I may cut it down to a belly gun for a winter project some day.
Old July 11, 2009, 07:40 AM   #6
CaptainCrossman

Quote:

most likely yes. I switched out a broken brass frame from an 1851, with a steel army 1860 frame, all that was required was drill dowel pin holes larger in barrel, and drill grip strap holes larger for the bigger Army attachment screws on bottom and below trigger. It bolted right on.