The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old March 23, 2014, 04:10 PM   #26
Sure Shot Mc Gee

I always found the pre & post Model 70s a little beyond what I was willing to pay. But finding one at the price this OP did. {A lightly used one} And being a 7-Mag "That is a deal!!"

As far as bases for it. I would suggest a Leopold for that purpose. The Base Set that has the adjustable 2/screw rear mount offers truer adjustment overal. With it you can adjust your scopes true centered alignment in relation to the barrels actual pointing (first.) Before the scopes dial-in targeting.

If weaver type mounts are used. All adjustment for accuracy must come from the scopes dials. Have ever you experienced a scopes inability to target because the scope it (ran out of dial threading) May times its base's are the cause of that situation. (weaver style bases)

These I suggest:
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/136...ProductFinding

Or this:
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/136...ProductFinding

I don't recommend these:
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/211...ProductFinding
Old March 23, 2014, 07:13 PM   #27
hooligan1

No Sureshot I've never run a scope out of internal adjustment in any direction. Usually I use standard Leupold bases and rings....like every rifle I own, but this rifle might get those bases that Talorce1 sent me.
I'm still in process of making it more accurate and load developement, so far things are gettin close but not on par with what I think its capable of.
Old March 23, 2014, 07:43 PM   #28
jmr40

You DO NOT want anything with windage adjustable mounts unless you have a defective rifle. The only time they offer any advantage is if the scope mounting holes in the receiver are drilled incorrectly. Your scope will already be centered with more traditional mounts which will not only be stronger, but cheaper and easier to mount.

Sixty or 70 years ago this was a common problem, especially with guns that were not drilled and tapped at the factory and needed to be done by gunsmiths after purchase. The windage adjustables were designed to correct this problem. Many old timers used them because at the time they were actually needed. They still hang on today because some guys still want to use what grandpa used without even understanding why. There are much better options today.
Old March 24, 2014, 02:20 AM   #29
Sure Shot Mc Gee

jmr40

With all due respect. I guess its a matter of preference as to which bases are thought to be the most appropriate. Than again never have I encountered a poorly drilled factory rifle. But I sure have seen a few military grade rifles attempted change into a sporting rifle by so called business front gunsmiths having poorly drilled or tap threaded receivers. (On more than one occasion.)
From my experience with Leopold Adjustable Base Sets all have given me excellent service since the day I mounted them. As you may recall those original Weaver mounts were made of aluminum. Where as Leupold has machined tooled their base's out of steel for many years. Be it adjustable or weaver style I won't claim one is better or stronger than the other. As far as I'm concerned all Leupold product are top shelf and very well thought-out built to give its owner years of service.
I do recall many fellows I know at my Club Range who prefer weaver style base's over all the others available. They are primarily used for two reasons. Their cheap cost. And for easy scope change out.
But since this OP has his mind set on weaver style. What ever I commented tonight is moot.
Old March 24, 2014, 07:36 PM   #30
hooligan1

Quote: you dont want anything with windage adjustable mounts...
Jimro my grandpappy has been gone longer than I been working with crayons. When I say I had only used those type bases its because I know I can trust the integrity of them. But recently my buddy out west sent me a new to me type of base to try.... Im going to try them.

But I have never until this rifle, ( maybe forty or so later) used any other style of bases and rings....
Old March 25, 2014, 01:53 AM   #31
Brotherbadger

Sounds exactly like my model 70. Synthetic stock, push feed 7mm RM that came with a cheapo scope. I upgraded to a Leupold and it shoots like a dream. Ammo is a bit expensive(reloading helps with that a LOT), but i absolutely love it.

http://300AacBrass.com/ -10% Coupon use code " badger "
Old March 25, 2014, 12:17 PM   #32
WIN71

Correct!

Quote:
You DO NOT want anything with windage adjustable mounts unless you have a defective rifle
I have one set of adjustable Leupold mounts still being used, for obvious reasons:

Old March 25, 2014, 01:40 PM   #33
Unlicensed Dremel

Quote:
You DO NOT want anything with windage adjustable mounts unless you have a defective rifle.
This!

I've become a fan of the "double dovetail" kind. Or Talley one-piece deals.

And fergawdsakes, when it comes to P-Rail / Weaver bases, avoid those Millett "Angle Loc" rings like the plague! Not only not needed, you will be constantly and forever chasing a zero.
Old March 26, 2014, 09:42 AM   #34
FiveInADime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlicensed Dremel View Post
This!

I've become a fan of the "double dovetail" kind. Or Talley one-piece deals.

And fergawdsakes, when it comes to P-Rail / Weaver bases, avoid those Millett "Angle Loc" rings like the plague! Not only not needed, you will be constantly and forever chasing a zero.
I don't have any trouble with the Millet "Mangle-Loc" rings as long as you line them up straight. If you try to adjust them for windage then you get in trouble pinching tubes and what not. I use a piece of athletic tape inside the Millet rings I have instead of the rubber-tape shims they include.

I like Warne steel weaver-style bases and Burris Signature Zee rings. Talley one-piece are great, but I'd rather not have to lap rings.