The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old October 23, 2013, 10:13 PM   #1
bledsoeG19

My wife says i'm a sad individual

The reason she says this is because I just spent two hours cleaning one revolver. (Shot it A LOT today). Is there anyone else out there that is like me in the way that they get started with a "quick cleaning" and then get carried away? And, what in the world is the best thing for pulling powder residue off of nickel? I love my S&W model 19, all except the nickel... thanks
Old October 23, 2013, 10:35 PM   #2
Gbnk82

Lol i find myself doing this bring the gun home from the range and plan to give it a quick break down and cleaning and the 10 minutes i planned to spend cleaning turns into 2it hours of detailing and polishing..hah.
Old October 23, 2013, 10:43 PM   #3
Coach Z

My wife says i'm a sad individual

That's crazy I've never done that, oh wait....

Yeah all the time. I like to view it as meticulous
Old October 23, 2013, 10:59 PM   #4
the rifleer

Unless you are shooting corrosive ammo, that is a bit excessive. Even with corrosive ammo that is excessive. I spend maybe 30 minutes tops on a gun, and that is the ones with corrosive ammo.
Old October 24, 2013, 12:45 AM   #5
Chowder

I find myself cleaning my Blued guns well but not getting into it for more than a solid 20 minutes. When I have my stainless Super Black Hawk you could see everything and I would watch youtube while getting every bit of carbon off that thing.
Old October 24, 2013, 04:56 AM   #6
lamarw

Your wife is blessed and has a power tool in you at her finger tips. Please make sure she sees my response. She can take your skills and get all the floors in the house deep cleaned, have all the appliances sparkling, and the porcelain items in the bathrooms looking like new on a weekly basis. This is only the beginning, and she can develop long project list for outside the house activities you will take on with a vengeance.

If this is not enough to keep you happy, she can then volunteer your excess energy to neighborhood projects.

You will be a happy man and she will be a proud task master.
Old October 24, 2013, 05:17 AM   #7
spacecoast

Quote:
And, what in the world is the best thing for pulling powder residue off of nickel?
I agree, and that's one of the reasons I will likely never buy another nice nickel gun. The one I have left is a car gun and I don't care about fingerprints, but I was forever going after fingerprints on one I just sold. Beautiful, but a pain.
Old October 24, 2013, 09:28 AM   #8
Ibmikey

Dump the wife, get a 18 year old girlfriend that likes shooting, spend a day at the range, leave the girlfriend at her place, go home and savor the manly art of gun cleaning while your loyal dog is at your feet and the Sportsman channel is on the tv. Life is good :-)
Old October 24, 2013, 10:18 AM   #9
Skadoosh

Ten minutes tops for a handgun. 15 minutes for a rifle. Anything over that is time I could be reloading.
Old October 24, 2013, 10:56 AM   #10
Tactical Jackalope

Ha! This is coming from a guy that gives a detailed cleaning to ANY gun he shoots whether it's 10-1,000 rounds. I take about that much time on each gun. When I started shooting and didn't know any better I'd take out 5-7 handguns at a time. Now the most I'll take is three thankfully, and I have the rest of the afternoon or evening or night to do other stuff. lol
Old October 24, 2013, 11:06 AM   #11
madmo44mag

I would venture to say you have a gun fetish.
I would also suspect that the smell of coffee and gun powder in the morning is your favorite smells.
I would also not be surprised that you talk to your guns while cleaning them and when putting them away pat them lovingly and say good night.

I have found a somewhat effective fix for these phobias.
Start cleaning your gun when you have to pee and do not go pee until the guns are clean.
I said “somewhat” effective!
Old October 24, 2013, 11:18 AM   #12
doofus47

When a rain storm caught out me and all my range equipment last weekend, I did a detail clean of both pistols and all associated magazines. It took a bit of time but my wife gets it. I'd do the same thing when I was caught out on my bike in the rain--clean and lube everything that could turn orange overnight. Thank god for the rise of carbon fiber and aluminum alloys in bikes....
Old October 24, 2013, 03:26 PM   #13
pilpens

My GF does not understand it when I have to "fix/make better" a pistol which she thinks is already working 100%.

.... but she is OK with it.
Old October 24, 2013, 05:14 PM   #14
WIL TERRY

SHE IS RIGHT !!! It should not take you over five minutes at the most to clean any pistol, revolving or selfloading, back to perfection. FIVE MINUTES !!!
And so it goes...
Old October 24, 2013, 05:30 PM   #15
Dragline45

It can take me a while to clean guns sometimes. Since I use grease, first you have to clean all the grease off. Then there is the even lengthier process of applying the grease which I do with matches from a match book, which are just about perfect for this application. Then I reassemble, cycle a few times, wipe off excess grease that came out around the back of the slide, disassemble, look for areas where excess grease built up, reassemble, and repeat until I am satisfied that all excess grease is removed. It's a labor of love

Last edited by Dragline45; October 24, 2013 at 09:57 PM.
Old October 24, 2013, 05:32 PM   #16
Pond, James Pond

At least you've shot yours before cleaning it for two hours...

...All I did was buy mine and I still cleaned from the beginning to the end of The Good, The bad and the Ugly.

Tuco would be proud...
Old October 24, 2013, 09:09 PM   #17
bledsoeG19

Half these comments have me in tears laughing. Fwiw my wife likes to shoot. She just doesnt like the cleaning part or the reloading part. For those that spend 5 to 10 min cleaning their hand guns.... if they're nickel plated you are apparently much more skilled than I. Oh and by "carried away" I meant down to the frame. Full strip.

Madmo44mag,

The answers are yes, yes, and...... possibly....

Lamarw,

Aint happenen' my friend
Old October 25, 2013, 08:27 AM   #18
bdhawk

revolvers are a PITA to clean. my S&W 629, for instance, is a real terror to clean. with all the cylinder flutes, the multiple chambers, the end of the cylinder, and the barrel are all a challenge.
Old October 25, 2013, 08:54 AM   #19
BoogieMan

Quote:
Dump the wife, get a 18 year old girlfriend that likes shooting, spend a day at the range, leave the girlfriend at her place, go home and savor the manly art of gun cleaning while your loyal dog is at your feet and the Sportsman channel is on the tv. Life is good :-)
Whatever it is that your smoking please share some.
I havent had a beautiful 18y/o girlfriend since I was about 20. But she did help me polish my gun often
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old October 25, 2013, 09:00 AM   #20
buck460XVR

Sheese.......if I spent two hours cleanin' every revolver after comin' home from a day at the range I would be cleanin' guns for 12-14 hours straight. Must be why I prefer Stainless.......
Old October 25, 2013, 09:08 AM   #21
jimbob86

I spend 3 DAYS cleaning my guns ..... but only like 10 minutes each on each of the 3 days ...... I clean them, and run a wet patch through the bore and put them up, repeat on day 2, and on day 3, with a dry patch last on day 3. You would not believe how bleu-green the patches come out on day 2 from a "clean" rifle bore....

OTH, when we go shooting, we shoot a lot of guns .....
Old October 25, 2013, 09:17 AM   #22
Dragline45

Quote:
I would also not be surprised that you talk to your guns while cleaning them and when putting them away pat them lovingly and say good night.
You mean like Private Pyle from Full Metal Jacket? If that's the case lets hope he doesn't follow suit and shoot his drill Sgt.
Old October 25, 2013, 11:53 AM   #23
coldbeer

Some guns just take a longer than others to clean good. I have one rifle that's almost impossible to remove all the copper fouling from the barrel so I leave some in there and it still shoots great.
Old October 25, 2013, 01:27 PM   #24
Hal

Quote:
And, what in the world is the best thing for pulling powder residue off of nickel? I love my S&W model 19, all except the nickel... thanks
Ballistol & a brush, then wipe off w/a dry cloth.

Next wipe it with a lead away cloth.

Repeat the Ballistol & buff it to a nice shine.

Wax is optional for the shine.

Just make double/triple sure you keep the lead away cloth away from blued guns.
It'll take the bluing right off.
Old October 25, 2013, 01:46 PM   #25
ClydeFrog

Gun cleaning....

Retired NYPD officer & USMC veteran; Pat Rodgers says you should only take 10-15 minutes to clean a gun.
I've been known to use my magnifying glass on my firearms .
There are several methods to deep cleaning firearms. I like the handy, well made Ballistol. It's safe for bare hands & non-toxic.

I like to run a light coat of CLP like LPX or Weaponshield over the guns I plan to shoot then when I stop, it's a lot faster to clean/service later.
Hoppes #9 or the new synthetic version(new for a product thats been in use for 105 years or so, ) helps too.

Some shooters let guns lay around dirty. Not this kat!

Clyde