The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old December 1, 2011, 06:58 PM   #1
hlds54

Removing stuck Mosin Negant bayonet

This has probably been ask before but anyway, pretty straight forward I got the bayonet stuck on my mosin 91/30. I know how to take it on and off and this is stuck, I cant get it off with two people. I've turned the bayonet so that it lines up with the front sight but it wont come off. any advice would help
Old December 1, 2011, 09:21 PM   #2
kraigwy

Mine was like that when I first got it.

Turn it where it lines up, and wack it with a plastic mallet. Careful not to knock your front sight out of alingment. I'd scratch the front sight and base so I could get it back incase you do move it.

If interested (after you get it off) and want to fix the bayonet of it goes on and off easier, let me know.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old December 4, 2011, 06:53 PM   #3
hlds54

Quote:
If interested (after you get it off) and want to fix the bayonet of it goes on and off easier, let me know.
yeah that would be great
Old December 4, 2011, 07:32 PM   #4
kraigwy

OK, looking at the bayonet you'll see a plunger and a pin holding the plunger in.

Looking at the plunger you'll see it "bottoms out" when you push it in. Pushing it in is suppose to allow you to put the bayonet on the rifle, and as you have reported, it don't always work the way it is suppose to.

Punch out the pin being careful not to loose the sping. What you need to do is file or grind the inside (closest to the bayonet proper) of the plunger which will allow it to be pushed in farther.

That should give you more clearence. If the spring guide is too long to allow your plunger to be pushed in enough, then shorten' it a bit.

Now put it back together and you should be good to go.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old December 8, 2011, 07:17 PM   #5
hlds54

Quote:
K, looking at the bayonet you'll see a plunger and a pin holding the plunger in.

Looking at the plunger you'll see it "bottoms out" when you push it in. Pushing it in is suppose to allow you to put the bayonet on the rifle, and as you have reported, it don't always work the way it is suppose to.

Punch out the pin being careful not to loose the sping. What you need to do is file or grind the inside (closest to the bayonet proper) of the plunger which will allow it to be pushed in farther.

That should give you more clearence. If the spring guide is too long to allow your plunger to be pushed in enough, then shorten' it a bit.

Now put it back together and you should be good to go.
Thanks alot man, this is my number one gun priority next day I have off.
Old December 8, 2011, 07:59 PM   #6
SIGSHR

Sounds like a little gentle polishing of the bayonet socket is in order. Emphasis on the word gentle.
Old March 24, 2014, 06:29 PM   #7
Popeye1959

Does it matter which way the pin is pushed out?
Old March 25, 2014, 02:32 AM   #8
10-96

Quote:
Does it matter which way the pin is pushed out?
Not to the pin, it doesn't care. When tapping out the pin, go slowly and push the pin out only far enough to be able to pull out the plunger. It will be much easier to put back in place if you don't have to hold everything still while you start the pin.

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.