The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old April 13, 2000, 11:34 AM   #1
Danger Dave

What are some good sources and manufacturers for the low-power (so-called) tactical 00 buckshot?

Thanks!
Old April 13, 2000, 11:54 AM   #2
kframe19

Why do you want reduced-power buckshot?

I don't like the concept at all.

You trade energy and leathiality for less recoil. In my opinion, that is NOT a good trade.

If you're worried about recoil, start training with low-power shotshells, and work your way up to heavier shot loads.

Also, I suggest 2 3/4" No. 4 buckshot instead of heavier shot.

With No. 4 buck you get 27 pellets as opposed to 9 for 000.

What does that give you? Almost 1.5 times the payload weight and significantly more load energy.

At household ranges, most shotguns with a cylinder bore choke will keep all 27 pellets in the chest area out to about 25 feet.

If, however, you're still set on "Tactical" loads, I believe that Federal is the only maker of reduced power loads at this time.
Old April 13, 2000, 04:15 PM   #3
Sea Bass

Danger Dave, try www.ammoman.com
they have some tactical Federal buckshot and slugs for sale.
Old April 13, 2000, 07:16 PM   #4
robins

I'm in agreement against reduced recoil loads. My new Benelli M1 choked on all 25 reduced recoil winchester 00 buck loads but fed all federal 00 buck shells without a hitch.
Old April 13, 2000, 08:33 PM   #5
Al Thompson
Staff Alumnus

Hey Danger - there is a police supply place on the other side of Atlanta that stocks reduced recoil buck. IIRC the pawnshop on exit 11 (?) used to have a good selection. Of course Ga Arms has some at the shows...

I've tried both the Federal and Remington stuff and it is less recoil. I'd stick with a pump or an 1100 if I were to use it. The slug loads worked well in my Benelli, the buckshot bothered me. No jams, just didn't feel right. YMMV..

Giz
Old April 13, 2000, 09:03 PM   #6
gunmart

the federal h13200 reduced load is the choice of most pds now days because they have found that when the powder is reduced it gives much more consintric patterns..they also pack it in a spiral in the wad .my experiances with the many shotgun classes i have taken show me that most all shotguns love these loads except for the remington 1187 semiauto.that doesent surprise me since remington states right on the barrel "not made for lite loads.
Old April 13, 2000, 09:33 PM   #7
Ned Roundtree

Tactical loads is good stuff. Practically everyone is putting it out now. I usually pick up a box at gun shows. No, I wouldn't shoot low recoil in the Benelli M1, that would be mistake. But great for the pumps.
Old April 14, 2000, 12:59 AM   #8
Bennett Richards

I have patterned a number of 00 loads in my 870 and there is no doubt that the Federal Tactical 00 shoots tiger than the Federal reduced recoil 00.

Ben
Old April 14, 2000, 06:05 AM   #9
Danger Dave

The reason I want "reduced recoil" loads is simple. The only 12 ga. shotguns I own are both Winchester '97's. The only buckshot rounds I can find in sporting goods stores are all high-powered loads, and I don't want to shoot those through a shotgun that was designed for black powder.

Thanks for the answers! As usual, I've noticed opinions vary on ammo...
Old April 14, 2000, 06:06 AM   #10
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

I've kinda wondered about a few things on this thread, and maybe some folks can enlighten me.

First," Tactical" ammo is reduced velocity. When velocity is reduced with lead projectiles, expansion is less. Thus, more energy is available for penetration. But the idea is to have less penetration,right? Can someone explain this?

And,people cite the "Tactical" stuff as tighter patterning, which is a good thing, IMO. As I've said until you're sick of it, spread is not what you want for HD.

BUT, don't choke tubes, backboring and lengthened forcing cones do the same thing w/o compromising effect?

Lotsa folks have trouble with the kick of heavy loads in light shotguns. Recoil's the reason trap guns run over 8 lbs, and that's with light loads. But, there's many ways to deal with recoil, including improving your form, adding weight,etc,rather than reducing the effectiveness of one's ammo.

Finally, I'm sure the Benellis and that 11-87 are fine guns. But, for a HD, generic WIHTF shotgun, I'd prefer something less ammo sensitive. Not being able to use light loads takes out too many options.
Old April 16, 2000, 10:52 PM   #11
gunmart

i dont understand the problem with 1100 1187 owners out there and there quest to shoot reduced recoil ammo.it states right on the barrell not intended for light loads.further more why would anyone buy a gas operated shotgun thats main role is to dampen the recoil and then have to shoot hot loads.beats me.my m1 90 shoots all loads hot, mild or low and patterns like crazy with the federal h13200 tac.whats 200 feet per second when your hitting a guy 9 times or 18 or maybe 27 or 36 times.ohhh well so much for the soap box.