The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old October 24, 2013, 02:40 PM   #26
Wyoredman

Quote:
Originally Posted by amd6547
I work at a redwing boot store east of Cleveland.
I really like Redwing Boots! Any chance of getting a pair of size 14's to field test?
Old October 24, 2013, 05:23 PM   #27
johnwilliamson062

Well, I live in W. Ohio and B. Bears showing up in my area is relatively new. I think the first one in living memory was about 5 years ago. Now we get one or two almost every year.

I heard on the radio one state expanded hunting from four counties to 16 today.
Old October 24, 2013, 06:50 PM   #28
amd6547

The funny thing in Ohio...our ODNR always reacts to bear sightings by saying "oh, there aren't any bears living in Ohio...they just visit from Pennsylvania..."
As if a bear might not look around and say " hmmm...plenty of food around here...".

Sorry, wyoredman...no extra size 14's laying around...
Old October 25, 2013, 07:04 AM   #29
shortwave

Quote:
The funny thing in Ohio...our ODNR always reacts to bear sightings by saying "oh, there aren't any bears living in Ohio...they just visit from Pennsylvania..."
Yes, ODNR likes to keep the fact that there are bear in Ohio 'on the down low' hoping to keep the poaching down. They have been saying the same thing for the last thirty years.
Old October 25, 2013, 08:57 AM   #30
buck460XVR

Quote:
Last summer, a black bear made news roaming within blocks of my store. There was security cam footage of him hopping a fence onto a factory property a block from wo

I live on the outskirts of a city of 11,000 folks. There is generally a article in the local paper every coupla weeks about bears being sighted in town. I have had them sitting in my raspberry patch or under the plum/apple trees eating fruit. The scent they leave drives the bird dog nuts. Like deer, they are more and more relating humans to food. Because of this, like deer, the smell/sight of humans does not frighten bears like it used to.
Old October 25, 2013, 12:54 PM   #31
Gunplummer

I have to agree with the last post. Thirty years ago there were plenty of bears around here, but it was unusual to see one. Most of the bears did not want to be seen. They can really run through the woods and make almost no noise. Not hard to see how they outrun a dog when they are in high gear. Now they will often stand up against a tree to get a better look at you. They seem to be a lot bolder than they used to be.