The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old February 15, 2013, 04:04 AM   #1
USMCGrunt

Welcome to Wyoming...this is how WE roll!!!

Hans Hunt is my local state represenative down in Cheyenne. God bless this man and I am damn proud to have voted for him last November. When someone moves here, it's probably because it's a good place to live and the way we have lived here has made it what it is. Now when some left wing liberal starts moving in here, that's bad enough, but when they go around spouting off that we need to change our laws to become more like the places they left, that's when we have our non-PC way of telling them to go pound sand!!! As long as I live here and as long as Mr. Hunt is running for office, I can assure you he has my vote!!!!

Quote:
Cheyenne resident Audette Fulbright and her family moved here last August from Roanoke, Virginia so that she could take over a preaching position at a local church.

Read the entire exchange at http://www.kgwn.tv/story/21088461/st...ire-for-letter

Last edited by Mike Irwin; February 15, 2013 at 07:58 AM.
Old February 15, 2013, 04:36 AM   #2
therealdeal

thank you for the thread. I am going to share this w/my friends.

"Abraham Lincoln freed all men, but Sam Colt made them all equal." (post Civil War slogan)
Old February 15, 2013, 05:46 AM   #3
Cleet

That is an awesome story. If only my representatives would be so bold. All of this political correctness is driving me insane.
Old February 15, 2013, 05:55 AM   #4
LockedBreech

Beautiful. Lifelong Wyoming resident here. I have spent some time working for a current state senator (don't want to put his name on the Internet) and he's just like that. True to his constituents. I was organizing his paperwork last summer and found a stack of emailed letters from constituents - heavily annotated by him, by hand.
Old February 15, 2013, 06:13 AM   #5
Bud Helms

Bravo, Rep. Hunt!
Old February 15, 2013, 06:26 AM   #6
Ben Towe

That man should be President! That's the greatest letter ever!
Old February 15, 2013, 06:27 AM   #7
MLeake

I am pretty happy with Missouri, so far, but should I ever grow dissatisfied with living here, I will have to give Wyoming some serious consideration.
Old February 15, 2013, 06:34 AM   #8
Salmoneye

I surely wish we still had this type of attitude in Montpelier...
Old February 15, 2013, 08:24 AM   #9
MedicineBow

I disagree.

That kid's (he's very young) response was immature, rude, and counter-productive. In no way does it reflect Wyoming values.

He got a polite letter from a constituent, who disagrees with him. He writes back like he's a 12-year-old on a playground.

I mean, "Wyoming! Love it or leave it!"? Please. Completely puerile. That's not the way it works here, or anywhere. Wyoming (and any state, and this entire country) is made up of people of divergent views, who bump up against each other, argue, take votes, try to convince one another, talk, etc., and finally settle on something. This isn't a place where people with different opinions have to shut up or leave. The place the boy is talking about is China. Not Wyoming.

He can barely be bothered to state his position, or the reasons for his position. He doesn't seem to have any...other than that he was born in Wyoming. So what? I was too. First, that's an accident, not a policy decision. Second, there are just as many idiots born here as anywhere else (I sure have my moments). Third, it means nothing. If he wishes to get personal (which is really the root of his mistake), I've seen more of this state, met more of its people, than he may in his whole life. So, let's see, does that mean he should defer to me on every decision? Somehow, I doubt he thinks that.

His approach is that of a ignorant bully, who wants to shout someone down. A polite letter is "pompous" and the writer must be a "liberal" who is really an "out of stater." Leaving aside how much it peeves me that he talks to a constituent -- a minister! -- this way, all he is doing is dreaming up cliched insults, which leads you to believe he can't really articulate why he takes the position he takes. From his snotty letter, I presume he doesn't have the horsepower to explain why he will vote the way he does, as it looks like merely one voice of mild dissent drives him nuts.

I could go on. But suffice it to say: I wouldn't vote for him for dog-catcher until he learns to lead, treat people with respect, and articulate his positions and not his prejudices.

(Needed to add this: the guy's wrong, to boot. The legislature -- a more conservative group you could not find -- didn't pass the gun law the woman asked him to vote against. Apparently, and shockingly, there was a little difference of opinion. Oddly, Mr. Hunt didn't stand up and tell them they all were liberals who ought to leave the state.)

Last edited by MedicineBow; February 15, 2013 at 08:41 AM.
Old February 15, 2013, 08:33 AM   #10
Puddle

While I personally like his message, I'm not sure his response is entirely appropriate for a politician. We do live in a country where if people do not like certain laws they can work within the system of government to enact peaceful change. This woman is just writing to an elected official (working within the system) to begin the process of enacting change. Even though I don't live in WY nor agree with her ideas, I would fight for her right to pen such a letter.
Old February 15, 2013, 08:35 AM   #11
TLeo

I totally agree with his sentiments. We are seeing the same thing with illegal immigratation into this country by those who want to force the rest of us to do things their way according to their beliefs. If they don't like it, they they are free to go back where they came from and I wish they would.
Now,he probably should have worded his reponse better but maybe with all the anti 2A stuff lately, it's likey that his and other offices have been bombarded by antis demanding all sorts of anti gun laws and he has had enough of it.
Old February 15, 2013, 08:44 AM   #12
noelf2

Well I don't like his letter because he's telling her she should come back here to Virginia! No way do the majority of Virginians feel as she does, probably why she left.

Here's why I think the rest of his letter is completely appropriate:

Quote:
to expose our children to greater risk in their schools by encouraging more guns on campuses is something that we cannot allow.
Here she puts herself into a positon of authority, as to what will be allowable, without consideration for the rest of her community. Get off your high horse!

Quote:
We believed it was a good place to raise children. With the recent and reactive expansion of gun laws and the profoundly serious dangers of fracking, we find we are seriously reconsidering our decision, which is wrenching to all of us. However, the safety of our family must come first.
Here she is quite insulting. She suggests that Wyoming isn't the place to raise children. Based on the position of the majority, it's a bad place. At this point, she deserves what she gets (IMHO).

Quote:
It would be sad to see an exodus of educated, childrearing age adults from Wyoming as a result of poor lawmaking.
Again, she is insulting and denegrating the position of the lawmakers and voters of her area/state.

IMHO her letter was not polite. The proper response from the lawmaker at that point, considering her contempt for the position of her fellow citizens and by an aggragate response from their elected representative, was to suggest that she GTFO.

Last edited by noelf2; February 15, 2013 at 09:01 AM.
Old February 15, 2013, 09:04 AM   #13
MedicineBow

Quote:
Again, she is insulting and denegrating the position of the lawmakers and voters of her area/state.
Wrong.

A. She was in the majority. The law failed. The politician she wrote was in the minority. He was the one who was out of step.

B. If a politician thinks that a constituent who disagrees is "insulting" them, they need to find a new job. ASAP.

C. Her letter was polite. He replied with insults. That gets him or his positions nowhere, and hurts his cause.
Old February 15, 2013, 09:29 AM   #14
noelf2

Quote:
C. Her letter was polite. He replied with insults. That gets him or his positions nowhere, and hurts his cause.
That's your opinion. I think you should keep the freak, and send your politician back here to VA. lol
Old February 15, 2013, 09:36 AM   #15
Strafer Gott

There is the ideology of the East showing. It's like a whole 'nuther country. I guess you savages need a little dose of civilization. They have different ideas back East. Never forget!
Old February 15, 2013, 09:42 AM   #16
jmortimer

God Bless that man. Tell it like it is, not P.C. mush. Wish I lived there. Amazing that anyone could criticize the unvarnished truth. Too bad we have members who side in with "they" who are sinking our ship.
Old February 15, 2013, 09:42 AM   #17
noelf2

Quote:
There is the ideology of the East showing. It's like a whole 'nuther country. I guess you savages need a little dose of civilization. They have different ideas back East. Never forget!
East? You mean South? We're all good people. Wait, you talking about me, or our latest export to Wyoming?

Last edited by noelf2; February 15, 2013 at 09:48 AM.
Old February 15, 2013, 10:58 AM   #18
Wyoredman

MedicineBow,

Howdy from around near Lander!

I don't think you really grasp the whole situation. The preacher Lady was threatening her Rep, Mr. Hunt, that if he didn't vote no for HB105 and any fracking bills, she was packing up and convincing others to do the same.

If you threaten someone, don't expect a PC, back-side kissing response.

Rep. Hunt, like many of us long time Wyomingites, are seeing the waves of change from outside intrests, and we are not quite ready to accept some of them.

Take my loacl area, for example. We are seeing huge new homes being built and our main street is busy all day. Where are these folks coming from and what are they doing for a living? Most are comming from the East, with large sums of money, and getting into politics. For example, a recent ex-New York man has been elected to our school board and immediatly after his election wrote a long winded, non-sensical letter to the local paper exclaiming how Wyoming has a "gun-problem"!

Don't get me wrong, It is their right to do so. It is also the right of those who don't want change in Wyoming to oppose their efforts.

Insisting that everyone be PC, just ain't gonna happen. We are, for better or worse, just going to "say it like it is"!

Last edited by Wyoredman; February 15, 2013 at 12:08 PM.
Old February 15, 2013, 11:15 AM   #19
kraigwy

Quote:
Hans Hunt is my local state represenative down in Cheyenne
Actually Hans Hunt represents House district 2 of Weston County (Newcastle). He grew up playing with my kids. His father, Tracy Hunt is a rancher/lawyer/County Commissioner of Weston County.

He got a lot of flack for that e-mail, but not from the people of Weston county which is one of the more conservative counties in Wyoming.

His father successfully represented me against the county attorney over some property right issues.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old February 15, 2013, 12:03 PM   #20
Hunter Customs

My hats off to Mr. Hunt and we need more like him in government, all government.

I was in Wyoming last year, as a matter of fact I went through Newcastle, it would not take much to talk me in to moving to Wyoming.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com
Old February 15, 2013, 12:11 PM   #21
JMP

MedicineBow said:
Quote:
I disagree.

That kid's (he's very young) response was immature, rude, and counter-productive. In no way does it reflect Wyoming values.

He got a polite letter from a constituent, who disagrees with him. He writes back like he's a 12-year-old on a playground.

I mean, "Wyoming! Love it or leave it!"? Please. Completely puerile. That's not the way it works here, or anywhere. Wyoming (and any state, and this entire country) is made up of people of divergent views, who bump up against each other, argue, take votes, try to convince one another, talk, etc., and finally settle on something. This isn't a place where people with different opinions have to shut up or leave. The place the boy is talking about is China. Not Wyoming.

He can barely be bothered to state his position, or the reasons for his position. He doesn't seem to have any...other than that he was born in Wyoming. So what? I was too. First, that's an accident, not a policy decision. Second, there are just as many idiots born here as anywhere else (I sure have my moments). Third, it means nothing. If he wishes to get personal (which is really the root of his mistake), I've seen more of this state, met more of its people, than he may in his whole life. So, let's see, does that mean he should defer to me on every decision? Somehow, I doubt he thinks that.

His approach is that of a ignorant bully, who wants to shout someone down. A polite letter is "pompous" and the writer must be a "liberal" who is really an "out of stater." Leaving aside how much it peeves me that he talks to a constituent -- a minister! -- this way, all he is doing is dreaming up cliched insults, which leads you to believe he can't really articulate why he takes the position he takes. From his snotty letter, I presume he doesn't have the horsepower to explain why he will vote the way he does, as it looks like merely one voice of mild dissent drives him nuts.

I could go on. But suffice it to say: I wouldn't vote for him for dog-catcher until he learns to lead, treat people with respect, and articulate his positions and not his prejudices.

(Needed to add this: the guy's wrong, to boot. The legislature -- a more conservative group you could not find -- didn't pass the gun law the woman asked him to vote against. Apparently, and shockingly, there was a little difference of opinion. Oddly, Mr. Hunt didn't stand up and tell them they all were liberals who ought to leave the state.)
Agree with you completely. Seems like he is just trying to score points at her expense but he doesn't explain anything. He's somewhat safe writing this letter since our state can't get much more 'red' than it already is. I would think he'd be better off politely trying to explain why he feels the way he does and try to sway her way of thinking to be in line with his. I really don't like the 'if you don't think like me, leave' tone of his letter.
I don't think her letter was very good either - an ultimatum of 'if you pass HB105, prepare for an exodus of educated childrearing age people'.
Old February 15, 2013, 12:20 PM   #22
chris in va

I agree with the message, disagree with the delivery. Very distasteful.

Let's do this in reverse. What if you wrote your 'Rep' about a 7-rd mag limit and they told you to leave if you don't like it?

Shameful.
Old February 15, 2013, 12:36 PM   #23
Wyoredman

Dear Rev. Fulbright,

Thanks you for concerning yourself with the legislature's workload, it has been very hectic of late trying to insure that the citizens of Wyoming are secure in their freedoms.

As for HB 105, I must disagree with you. There is absolutly zero evidence that suggests CCW license holders pose any threat at all to schools and children. Quite the opposite is true. Wyoming people in general have had a long history of gun ownership and safe gun handleing. By no means are the majority of Wyoming's citizens amateurs with reguards to guns.

As a headwater state and the State with the least population in the U.S., we are in a very unique situation regarding the fracking issue. As of today, no evidence has been presented that fracking has done anything but enhance the economy of Wyoming.

I am glad you and your husband chose this great state to relocate to in order to raise your family. It was a wise decision. On the other hand, if you chose to leave because you find Wyoming ways to be objectionable, I am sure your new Sate of residence will welcome you with open arms.

Sincerely,

Wyoreman
Old February 15, 2013, 12:50 PM   #24
MedicineBow

WyoRedman:

Howdy from down where the Platte flows!

Oh, I understand what she was saying. She was pointing out that policies can have real effects -- like people leaving, or people not moving in -- and urging him to vote a particular way.

That's exactly -- and I mean exactly -- what constituents do, all the time. You hear it most often with the "Jobs will move out of state" crowd. Sometimes when when you hear the argument it is true, sometimes it's not true...but it sure isn't a weird or threatening or unusual position.

My point is he responded with nothing. No reasons why he supported the gun bill...other than that she must be a liberal and his great-great-grandparents lived in a sod hut on the lone prairie, or whatever.

(I don't even care about the substance of her position..but I will say that if that makes her a liberal, then a majority of our reps are liberal, as that gun bill failed.)

I find I have a lot of discussions with folks who disagree with me on everything from guns to the Denver Broncos. But I have never found it particularly winning to tell them they're wrong because they are "liberal" and born in a different hospital.

Anyhow...I've made my point. If Hunt wants to prove how many cliches and how little substance he can squeeze into an email, then he succeeded. At everything else he failed.

(And I know what you mean about plain talk. That's also welcome. But he didn't talk plainly. He didn't say anything at all.)

All that said....the wind is blowing like hell right now. I bet you're very surprised by that!
Old February 15, 2013, 12:52 PM   #25
MedicineBow

Wyoredman:

Nice work. Nice letter.