The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old March 5, 2012, 04:01 AM   #1
JGulley317

Safe storing in vehicle?

I was curious about how other TFL members keep their handguns in their car when they can't take it in with them? In my case, the only place I can't take it into is work. Everywhere else I don't have a problem.

In my situation it takes less then 5 minutes to get to work. I ask myself, is it worth it for the 5 minute drive to work only to leave it in the car while there? But then the gun owner in says carry everywhere you go, even to work. I don't mind keeping it in my car as long as it's locked up good.

I drive a car. I'd like it under the passenger seat in a locked box with a cable around the seat so I can take it off in the car so no one sees while leaving it in the car. Though the benefit to putting it in the trunk is you need a key to get the the trunk. For some reason the lever to the left of the seat doesn't work. So if it was in the trunk it would be most safe there. Though I'd have to take it off while potentially being in front of someone. Either way, it'd be in a locked box with a cable around something.

Which spot would you recommend, under passenger seat or in trunk? Why?

What storage boxes do you recommend? Do you have it?

Thanks, Gulley
Old March 5, 2012, 01:24 PM   #2
johnbt

I don't know a thing about storage boxes.

What are you driving? I've had some cars, like an '06 Avalon, that had a switch in the glove box to disable the inside trunk release and force you to use the key. It keeps the valet parking attendent out of the trunk if you only give them the ignition key and not the master key.

John
Old March 5, 2012, 07:59 PM   #3
sserdlihc

This is what I use:
Old March 6, 2012, 12:00 AM   #4
JGulley317

johnbt, it's a 95' Nissan Altima. It's just old, certain parts just don't feel like working anymore. I really don't mind it. I feel a little more easy leaving expensive things in the trunk.

sserdlihc, care to go a little more in depth? I'm guessing it's bolted down, right? What's the co. of the safe?
Old March 7, 2012, 03:07 AM   #5
JGulley317

Thanks for everyone's help and recommendations! I've decided I'm going to store it under my passenger seat. I think I'll like how quickly and discreetly I can put it away. Though, something I'm thinking. Is bolting down the handgun safe in my trunk. I wouldn't be able to bolt down the safe under my seat because, the safe I choose opens from the top. I wouldn't mind not being discreet while putting my handgun in a bolted down safe in my truck that can only open with a key. I feel this would be the most secure route. Though I'm leaning towards under the seat, between the two when I buy the safe!

The safe I choose is a Gun Vault Nano Safe that I can purchase at Big Lot's (go figure) for $20. It can be found here...

http://www.gunvault.com/handgun-safes/nano-vault.html/

To the poster who asked if I could carry it while at work. Still waiting to run into my head manager. Haven't seen him since you asked me.

Thanks again for everyone who helped!

Gulley
Old March 7, 2012, 10:19 AM   #6
johnbt

According to info I found with google, the '95 Altimas have a switch inside the trunk (on the latch itself) that allows you to disable the trunk release. Maybe somebody hit it or it moved by itself.

John