The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 30, 2005, 10:35 PM   #1
parrothead2581

another 870 question

So I'm looking at buying the 870HD set up next Saturday. I've heard a lot of positive things about this model, and prefer it's action to the Mossberg, but as of late I've heard more than a handful of complaints (namely the spurs) about the newly made models. Is this model still worth the $300 investment? Are the problems typically minor and can be worked out with a little elbow grease?
As well, are the 100 shell packs for around $ 15 by Remington, Winchester and Federal that Wal-Mart sells decent are are they "bottom of the barrel" and going to causing me problems? Thanks!
Old October 30, 2005, 11:16 PM   #2
gdeal

The old 870 vs Mossberg 500..

I have fired both. They are both good. If I had to pick one, I would go with the Rem 870. That is just a personal choice though. I like where the safety is on the 870. The Moss is said to have an ambidextrious (does this thing have spell checker) safety but I don't like it as much as the 870. Other than that they are about the same when it comes to pump guns. Some people who like the Mossberg 500 or 590 better that the Remington 870 say "if U R going to get an Rem 870, get the Remington 870 Marine Magnum". Now that is a nice gun. I plan on getting that myself some day. Especially if my wife ever lets me have any guns in the house or if I can find a range that has long gun lockers.
Old October 31, 2005, 12:03 AM   #3
Lee Lapin

Any good gunstores there in Margaritaville? If so I would look around for a good used Wingmaster, a police trade-in or an older (pre- plastic trigger plate and pre- magazine tube dimples) Express model were I you. I'd rather have an older gun than a brand new one right now. Plain bead sighted 18.5" barrels from Remington are less than $100 new (last time I checked anyway), and the last one I bought used in excellent condition (about 6 weeks ago) was $70 delivered to my door. You can add a magazine extension or not as you desire (put on a clamp if you do add one tho).

I have bought a good number of used older Express guns for $150- 175 and still see them for that around here. That leaves you with room to maneuver for a short barrel and a magazine extension with a $300 budget. You can keep the 26-28" barrel likely to come with the gun for field use/wingshooting/clay pigeon games etc, or sell it and get some of your money back.

If you are unsure of your ability to buy used and not get ripped, go ahead and get a new one. The comfort factor of having a warranty might be worth it to you. Either way I don't think you'd go wrong with the 870- but then, I am notably biased... consider yourself warned.

lpl/nc (adopt a Cinderella 870, so I don't have to...)
Old October 31, 2005, 04:50 AM   #4
870SecurityMagnum

I bought an 870 express magnum 18"bbl and I love it. It has been great. I went camping with a bunch of friends in August, and one of the guys that went brought up a mossberg 500 mariner, and it looked nice, but after we fired quite a few shells, the carrier broke and fell out onto the ground. That kinda sucked, since he hadn't had the gun too long, but I guess I wouldn't place the blame entirely on mossberg since he is the second owner. I would say that for 280 bucks new for my gun, I couldn't have gone wrong; I would go ahead and get the Remington.