The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old February 20, 2010, 07:30 PM   #1
waterfowler

Carrying knives

Can you carry knives if you have a ccw? In michigan the law is you cannot carry a knife if the blade is over 3 inches. Places that hold over 3,000 people are you allowed to carry a knife over 3 inches?
Old February 20, 2010, 07:35 PM   #2
Hkmp5sd

Depends on the state. In Florida, it is a "concealed weapon" license which allow you to carry all types of weapons in addition to your firearm. Some states define it as a gun permit or pistol permit. In that case, the license will not cover other weapons.

NRA Life Member
Old February 21, 2010, 08:52 AM   #3
Chipperman

I carry knives every day, along with my CCW.
In NH and MA there is no limit on blade length.
Old February 21, 2010, 08:58 AM   #4
Pilot

HKMP5 is right. IT DEPENDS ON THE STATE. Many states do not connect knives with CCW permits for firearms. Totally different.
Old February 21, 2010, 09:02 AM   #5
rdmallory

CCDW

In Ky it is a CCDW permit Conceal Carry Deadly Weapon which includes knives.

Doug
Old February 21, 2010, 09:08 AM   #6
Dragon55

In Tennessee OK as long as <4" and not spring activated..... with or without concealed carry permit
Old February 21, 2010, 10:56 AM   #7
T-MAN1984

Yeah it differs from state to state. Some you need a permit, some there are restrictions in length that pertain to the action ( I.E fixed blade, folder, etc), as well as to the action alone ( I.E spring assist/mechanical folders) I think typically fixed blade knives are most often the culprit (even Mick Dundee's charm couldnt keep him outta trouble these days) while standard pocket folders are usually not hassled with much (12 inch stilletos need not apply, lol)

As always check your local and state laws, NEVER take anyones word, ignorance to the law is no excuse either (trust me it dont work) You may wanna think twice about that fillet or buck knife under the seat of your truck as that can get you in trouble too.
Just be safe and smart, if you think its illegal chances are it is, good people get in trouble by not recognizing the laws, but when it comes down to it, it is nobody's fault but your own. Good luck!
Old February 21, 2010, 11:31 AM   #8
The Tourist

Wisconsin has the traditional concept of "concealed." Knives with pocket clips allowing the folder to be snapped to the front pocket of jeans are very common here. I would say I use that style about 75% of the time.

Of course, when riding that method sometimes digs into the top of my right thigh. I then switch over to a sheath style folder. Vertical over my right kidney for the Buck 110 style, horizontal over my right front pocket for the Myerchins.

I've carried all different lengths. Considering that bikers and cops mix freely at our local shop, not one officer has even made a comment about these methods for folders, The Grahams carried in the same manner, or even automatics.

As I've professed before, I always adhere to "The Prime Directive." Under all circumstances, never appear to be Richard A. Cranium.

Even in a restaurant eating steak, I use these folders. Don't flash 'em and make a big deal. Eat your food, use the knife as a tool, pay your tab and tip your server.
Old February 21, 2010, 05:44 PM   #9
wally626

VA law makes it illigal to conceal carry
Quote:
any dirk, bowie knife, switchblade knife, ballistic knife, machete, razor,...any weapon of like kind as those enumerated in this subsection
There are no length requirements other than 3-inches being considered OK for school carry. The last part of the law leads to some issues as it depends on the courts to interpret. Essentially if the judge thinks the knife is a fighting knife it is illegal, if it is a tool then it is fine. A couple of cases have found butterfly knives to be weapons, a law was submitted this session of the legislature to formally outlaw butterfly knives but it died in committee.

The concealed pistol permit applies only to handguns, but I have not found a case in the state appeals records where someone was convicted of carrying a concealed weapon other than a gun who also had a CPP.
Old February 21, 2010, 06:03 PM   #10
The Tourist

Wow, maybe Wisconsin isn't that bad a state to live in, after all. Below is one of my EDCs, a common and relatively inexpensive knife called a Mikov.

Replacement springs are cheap, and can be switched out with your bare hands. Some EMS guys can even order the 'rescue' version.

Our local county LEOs even wanted me to do a seminar on what knives are available, including autos and assisted opening versions.

But then, most folks here my age got a knife about age eight. Deer hunting is big, and just about everyone owns or has owned a Buck 110.

You'll get a ticket here for cherry bombs and other illegal fireworks, but one FBI agent I talked to admitted he hadn't seen a switchblade investigation in over 20 years.