The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old February 9, 2010, 02:09 PM   #1
jg0001

New Jersey -- what is 'registered'?

I'm a bit confused about the rules here in NJ and what guns (if any) are effectively registered with the state.

Assume I acquired my FPID in NJ as a Jersey resident. I then go and buy several new long guns, from a store in NJ. I know when I buy them, I fill out a form and they run a NICs check. The form includes my name, address, FPID #, asks for but does not require my socsec#, and has information on the make & model of the gun being bought. The gun shop keeps a copy of the form I filled out and I get a copy.

For handguns, the process adds a layer. I have to get a separate handgun purchaser permit from the police for any given handgun purchase (which takes a month to get, and requires two acquaintances to fill out and return forms to the police). That has to be provided to the gun shop upon purchase in addition to the NICs process used for long guns.

Do either types of purchase (long gun / hand gun) go on some kind of permanent file with the state? Does the state already know everything I've bought --or-- could they compile a list based on copies of any forms they keep? I suppose the question here is are those forms filled out at time of purchase provided to the STATE, as those are the only forms that have actual details on the items being bought. If the state doesn't get them, how long does a gun shop keep them on file (or have to keep them on file, if that's the case)?

I'm just curious in a Katrina kind of situation if they would know what I have were they (the state) to come looking for it. Also, the stories I hear about neighboring New York (City) are disturbing, and typically revolve around the police checking in on a given gun owner's collection.
Old February 9, 2010, 07:38 PM   #2
kx592

Ive wondered the same thing but never posted it..Also what happened in NY?
Old February 9, 2010, 08:58 PM   #3
NickySantoro

Here in Nazi Jerky it works this way....
For long guns nothing goes to the state or locality. When you got your FOID with it's anal probe, it was you yourself who got registered and stamped "approved" by the state police. It sounds demeaning when phrased that way, doesn't it? The handgun permit consists of 4 copies, one each for the buyer, seller, local PD who issued it, and one for the state police. The seller forwards the appropriate copies to the addresses provided on the permit itself. The copies are different colors and it is stated on the permit who gets which color.

Last edited by NickySantoro; February 9, 2010 at 09:00 PM. Reason: clarification
Old February 10, 2010, 12:04 AM   #4
epr105

You can buy long guns in other states like Pennsylvania. Where the NJ state paper work is not needed only the Firears Purchaser Permit. (This shows the dealer you are eligible to purchase in another State) I like to because every time I get a gun in NJ I get to wait (transaction put on hold) for clearance to buy. This is because NJ has an FFL call the state and not the Feds. This little maneuver is to get a few extra dollars and sometimes aggravation out of law abiding citizens. Strange that I always get a proceed in PA
As far as registration goes it is supposed to be voluntary. So as long as the gun is purchased legally you DO NOT HAVE TO REGISTER IT. You can check this on the State Police web site.
Handguns are different and can only be purchased in NJ.
Sorry about the rant,
Ed
Old February 10, 2010, 10:53 AM   #5
jg0001

So, I take it from the above that hand guns are "registered"? Is that correct? Is that to mean there is a true record of who bought what or is there just some pile of purchasing permits collecting dust in a closet?
Old February 26, 2010, 08:56 AM   #6
Dewhitewolf

Handguns purchased in New Jersey are registered by the purchase process. The buyer does not need to do anything to register the purchased handgun--the seller must send the appropriate copies of the purchase permit to the local and state police. This applies to both dealer sales and private sales (no exemption from purchase permits for private sales).

You may receive a handgun through inheritance or will without a purchase permit; there is no registration requirement for that. However, you will need a purchase permit if someone is "giving" it to you, even without an exchange of money or anything else.

If you were a resident of another state, and moved to NJ with handguns you legally owned in that state, then you may bring them to NJ; there is no requirement to register handguns in that circumstance.

Rifles and shotguns are generally not registered, per se. However, dealers have to keep copies of sales, which both the BATF and the State Police have full authority to inspect at any time. So, either of those agencies could theoretically make lists of what you purchased (and without a warrant). This is because the legislature gave unilateral authority to the state police superintendant to create regulations to carry out the legislative intent of the law; the courts generally grant deference to these regulations.

NJ does have a process for voluntary registration. Why anyone would want to use it is beyond me.
Old February 26, 2010, 09:41 AM   #7
Standing Wolf
Member in memoriam

Quote:
NJ does have a process for voluntary registration. Why anyone would want to use it is beyond me.
The most valuable slave is the one who forges his own leg irons.