The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old May 21, 2015, 10:59 PM   #1
SteyrFNH

Pistol Sights

I'm interested in getting electronic sights (or possibly a low magnification scope) for my Springfield XD 4" 45 ACP. I bought a picatinny rail from Sight Mount which replaces the rear sight. The picatinny rail has iron sights built into it, so I would like a sight that can quickly be detached from the rail if possible so I can use the iron sights as a backup. Does anyone have recommendations on which sights or scopes would be good for this pistol? I'm not worried about cost. Also, I'm going to be converting my .45 to be able to shoot .460 Rowland ammo, so considering that whatever sight I buy is going to be taking a beating from the slide movement, I really need something that's durable. I also have one last question. With the extra resistance on the slide from the picatinny rail, the sight and the .460 Rowland conversion, will target .45 ACP ammo still cycle reliably? Thanks for your time.
Old May 22, 2015, 07:14 AM   #2
marine6680

The trijicon RMR is a tough sight. Vortex makes an option that costs a little less. You want small and light.

As far as conversions... I don't know much about that, as I don't mess with that caliber, but if you increase the weight of the recoil spring, then standard ammo will probably not cycle properly. The added weight of the sight should not affect too much... It's the recoil spring that will be the biggest factor.

But you can swap the spring easily if you want to do cheap target shooting.
Old May 22, 2015, 07:18 AM   #3
Japle

The C-More is terrific, but expensive.

Old May 23, 2015, 12:30 PM   #4
DaleA

You might want to check out Hunter Customs...he posts here and you can see some of his work in this thread:

http://thefiringline.com/forums/show...97#post6080497

or go to his site:

http://www.huntercustoms.com/Hunter_...s/Welcome.html

Good luck.
Old May 23, 2015, 02:20 PM   #5
rt11002003

I'd love to be able to mount scopes on all my handguns. The idea of red dot sights is good, just doesn't work for me. Turns out to be red blobs. I have scopes mounted on all of my .22 pistols. Was able to mount the 2x7 Tasco on the rail furnished by Ruger. The S&W Model 41 has the internal rail, too wide for the Tasco mount. I wound up patching together some rings from WalMart to clear the sights on the 41. But, scope is large and heavy. The good thing is I can see the targets.
Old May 23, 2015, 05:00 PM   #6
TunnelRat

Quote:
The idea of red dot sights is good, just doesn't work for me. Turns out to be red blobs.
You've got an astigmatism. I have the same issue. Without my glasses it's a starburst. Even with the glasses sometimes it looks more like a short line than a dot.
Maintain situational awareness