The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old August 27, 2007, 08:42 PM   #1
Tortuga12

Getting my 1st Revolver!!

I did it! Probably start a small war at home, but oh well. I won an auction for a Smith & Wesson 15-3 today, and it will be shipping soon. I can't wait! I've got a couple of autoloaders now, but there's just something about shooting a sixgun. (Maybe it's that I learned to shoot with my dad's K-22 and Trooper Mk III [drool], and my granddad's Super Blackhawk. Big gun for a 10 year old!)

I have a couple of questions. As far as ammo goes, I know that the K frames are supposed to be ok for limited +P use. For paper shooting, this won't be an issue, as I will be sticking to standard pressures. (I'm also getting into reloading! Figure it will be easier with a revolver than my CZ-52, plus I can find my brass afterwards!) What about SD/HD ammo? I see a lot mentioned about the FBI load in snubbies, but what about standard length barrels? (I will buy this ammo commercially.)

Also, what about grips? I wouldn't mind getting a new set, but everything I see online seems to upset the visual balance of the gun. Is there anything out there that will not upset my sensibilities and give me a better grip? Can anyone illuminate me as to the reasoning behind the Tyler T? Seems ugly, but a lot of posters seem to have installed one.

Any other advice for a new owner is greatly appreciated!
Old August 27, 2007, 09:33 PM   #2
357 Python

Congrats on the new to you 15. They are fine revolvers. The Tyler T- Grip was created to fill the space between the grip frame and the trigger guard. For some folks the standard grips are to small and the target grips are to big. The T-Grip is a kind of in between solution. For some folks it works fine. I tried one on a 2 1/2" round butt S&W 66 and it just didn't work for me. It kept twisting in my hand when fired. I ended up with rubber Pachmyer grips. Good luck with everything.
Old August 27, 2007, 10:06 PM   #3
skeeter1

You made a fine choice getting the Smith. AFAIC, they don't get any better.

Regarding use of .38Spl +P in a k-frame, you can shoot as much of it as you like. It's plenty strong enough for them. The only ones that you have to be careful about not overdoing it are the older j-frames. No one will give an exact number, but will tell you that "limited use" is OK. I've been shooting +Ps in an older (pre-.357 version) Smith model 60 for several years now, and it's still as tight as when it was brand new.
Old August 28, 2007, 06:35 AM   #4
Hammer It

Hello
The Model 15 is the combat version of the Model 14. The main differences are it's 4" Barrel rather than the 6" seen on the model 14 and the sights will be Baughman quick draw sights rather than the Model 14's Patridge front sight Intended for Target use. They Often call the Model 15 The Combat Masterpiece. Grips are available used for that Gun and depending on the size of your hand and what you are going to do with it is how you can select the grips needed. Tyler "T" Grip extensions are a way of using the smaller Service style or P.C. Grips that came on most model 15's. If you want to shoot more Targets rather than carry the revolver steady they have finger groove Combats to fit Both round and square Butt frames. They also have Factory target grips in square butt configuration and did offer a K-Round Butt checkered grips as well. I Opt for the target style grips on my Guns as they fit me good and allow better control when shooting Targets. Here is what the Factory grips look like aliong with the Combat Finger groove grips on a square butt revolver and round Butt as well. You also could install a set of Smooth Target grips if it is a square butt configuration as well. I hope this Helps, Hammer It

K-Sq Butt smooth Rosewood target grips

K-Sq Butt Checkerd target grips

K-Sq. Butt Combat Finger groove grips

K-Round Butt Combat Finger groove grips

Performance Center K-Round Butt Target grips

Old August 28, 2007, 07:02 AM   #5
Steve499

The Pachmeyer grips fit me better than any others I've tried, specifically the way some are cut at the butt to create a smaller diameter where your little finger goes. Back when I was into target shooting, I had better targets when I put one of those t-grips on but I hated the way they looked. The Pachmeyer grips I have on my model 14 have the same profile between the frame and trigger guard as with the t-grip but don't look add on like the t-grip did.

You can also rework a set of the factory oversize grips by reducing them in thickness and changing their shape. You may change the S&W logo to a shiny, plain brass disk in the process depending on how much thickness reduction you do but that doesn't look bad at all to me.That way you get to contour them to your own hand.

If you start from scratch and make your own grips it will be a little more trouble than reworking factory grips but it certainly isn't that hard. You can make them without an extensive power tool collection, too. The walnut grips on my model 17 were made with a coping saw, wood rasp, dremel tool and sandpaper.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MVC-122F.JPG (123.0 KB, 15 views)
Old August 28, 2007, 07:49 AM   #6
MrBorland

Personally, I like smooth wood grips. Once I developed the grip (i.e. hand position) that feels most natural to me, finger grooves never seem to line up with the placement of my fingers. And why would they? They're weren't made for my hand, after all. Also, in retrospect, I think a finger grooved grip would've "locked" my hand into some pre-determined position and I wouldn't have experimented enough to find my optimal position.

Right now, I'm using the Miculek grips from Bang Inc., but will likely try some Ahrends smooth grips soon:

http://www.bang-inc.com/store/index....a76c7717d7e914

http://www.ahrendsgripsusa.com/revolver.htm
Old August 28, 2007, 08:22 AM   #7
Hammer It

Hello
I have tried Ahrends Grips on a model 25-13 Mountain Gun I Have. They came from the factory with them, and I found them useless on a Heavy-N-frame revolver. They were Too short and fat to do any good so I replaced them with a set of Factory conversion grips, which make a round Butt frame appear to be a square butt configuration. These grips Increased my comfort and Target scores the Minute I Installed them.They are a Thin Profile so provide a good grasp and comfort for me.I do Not Understand why S&W quit making the square butt frames on this Large center bore revolver's other than a Cost cutting measure on their part the Larger-N-frames should all have square butts to me. If I want to Pack a revolver for daily carry with a round Butt it sure is not going to be a Massive-N-frame I would use one of my smaller-J-frames that don't look bad with a round Butt. I don't like round butt's at all on the larger-N-frame configuration revolver's. Regards, Hammer It

Before with Ahrends Grips

After with Conversion style grips