The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 22, 2000, 03:06 PM   #1
Mesa

I recently switched from AA2520 to IMR 4064 and although it seems to shoot much better in my gun (.308 Howa), it is impossible to get consistantly accurate loads through an RCBS powder measure. Measuring each load takes forever, I usually load 100 rounds at a time and measuring each load is a real bottleneck in the system. Short of purchasing one of the electronic measures and scale, does anybody have any suggestions?
Old May 22, 2000, 05:16 PM   #2
k in AR

Mesa,
Hate to say it, but while IMR has always been one of my favorite rifle powder companies, I have yet to find a manual type powder measure that is consistent enough for their pellet (tube shaped) powder.

I just throw a charge slightly under to the scale tray & finish it off with the trickler. Slow but very accurate.
k
Old May 22, 2000, 09:28 PM   #3
Target Shooter

IMR 4064 used to be my most favorite. I did exactly the opposite of what you did.
I switched from IMR 4064 to AA 2520. After much playing with AA 2520, it NOW is my most favorite powder in the 308.
It meters like a dream and accuracy is right up there with 4064.
The extruded powders have and most likely will always be a pain to meter smoothly through a standard powder measure.
Work with your AA 2520 and you too will find the sweet load that gives you exceptional accuracy.
TS
Old May 23, 2000, 02:16 AM   #4
Paul B.

I have had excellent resulsts using W-760. it meters like a champ and accuracy is not to shabby either.
Another suggestion is W-748. According to an article I read a while back, Olin said that 748 was expressly designed for the .308. I'm planning to try that one, one of these days.
Both powders are ball type, and meter like corn through a goose.
Paul B.
Old May 23, 2000, 08:44 AM   #5
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Yeah, you can pretty much forget using long-cylinder powders and powder measures.

I have always been uncomfortable loading any max loads with a powder measure. Just a personal thing. I weigh all my rifle charges when I'm planning on "serious shooting". To make the drudgery less onerous, I usually do it during a football game--there are around 30 seconds of nothing happening, between plays. And all those timeouts and half-time...Shoot on the weekend, reload during Monday Night Feetsball.

, Art