The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 30, 2002, 09:22 PM   #1
TGS

Redding Bushing Dies? Reduce runout?

Ive noticed after firing rounds from my #1 Ruger .220 Swift that the Concentricity between the body diameter and neck diameter to be about .001".
After I run the brass through my RCBS full length sizing die the concentricity increases from .0015" to .004".
After I seat the bullet the neck runout seems to increase to .0015" - .004" and bullet comcentricity runs from .002" and as high as .008".
I have used 2 different die sets both RCBS and the results seems consistant.
Would Bushing dies get rid of this problem?
I have also tried just neck sizing but the problem remains. I dont understand where I am picking up this runout. If all the centerlines within the die are concentric and the case centerlines are concentric why are my reload centerlines reflecting excentric centerlines? ahhhhhhhhhhh.
Redding Bushing dies are about $210.00 a set . Is this the price I can expect to pay to get the loads within .001" TIR consistantly?
thanks
Tom
Old June 30, 2002, 09:50 PM   #2
kurt IA.

I will take a guess and say that your run out is in the press, ram is off center some. If you want .001 run out go to hand dies.
Old June 30, 2002, 11:17 PM   #3
swifter...

Tom,

You might want to shop around a bit on the Redding dies, unless you're talking about the three die Competition set.

For way less expensive, give the Lee Collet die set a look, it works quite well.

The runout may come when you seat the bullet, try seating it 1/2 way, rotate 90*, and finish.

If you have an increase in runout after sizing, the expander ball is very likely yanking the neck out of kilter. The bushing or the Collet die will obviate this. Polishing the expander ball to a mirror finish helps, as does lubing inside the neck.

Just some thoughts, hope they help...

Tom
Old July 1, 2002, 10:41 AM   #4
Steve Smith

Yes, the Redding Bushing type dies COULD decrease the runout, but the runout could come from somewhere else as well. Your pricing on that die is outrageous. You must be pricing it with ALL the bushings. You should only need a few bushings. Go through www.sinclairintl.com and order the die with the proper bushings for your caliber. You should be able to spen less than $50 on that. Then get a Forster Ultra or the Redding Comp bulet seater. Either will provide the least runout that you can get without custom dies. If you still have runout issues (doubtful) you have a problem with the press.

Steve Smith
NRA Life Member
Old July 1, 2002, 12:45 PM   #5
TGS

Thanks for the feeds

Ive been a little suspect about the press so I tried a different caliper and dies and everything looked good less than .002".
I noticed quite a "grip" when the expander ball passed through. Ive tried lubing the inside of the case and will polish it real good. I will definitely reconsider my source for the redding bushing dies. They showed the necksizing bushing die (comp) for $99.00 and the same for the comp seating die. The bushing set was only about $20.00 (i think).
Ive read a little about Lee collet dies and will be looking into that very closely. Ive always liked Lee dies.
thanks for all the info
Tom