The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old May 20, 2015, 06:15 PM   #1
Unlicensed Dremel

Need help find distributor with a Tanfoglio (EAA) Witness 10mm 6" Hunter

Just when I finally saved enough to get one, they just dried up. Couple months ago, there were still a couple on gunbroker, and at Davidson's. Now, all out of stock everywhere I look.

I'd much appreciate if anyone could point me to a new or used one. Been wanting this for years. Appears to have been discontinued, or at least discontinued from being imported.

Not interested in any other model but the 6" Hunter in 10mm (blued or stainless; either)

Thanks.
Old May 20, 2015, 06:20 PM   #2
Unlicensed Dremel

Also, relatedly, as a backup plan, if I can't find one, give me your top three 1911 custom shops who can make the following for under $2K:

-2011 style pistol (2-stack), 10mm, 6" longslide?

Strayer-Voigt or what?

Thanks.
Old May 21, 2015, 10:59 PM   #3
Bongo Boy

They do seem to come and go--the guy I bought mine from seemed to often have 1 or 2 for sale, but I doubt I could even find the paper or email to find out who he is.

My choice alternative would be to go to Fusion and have them build me exactly what I wanted, but they don't indicate they build any all-steel double stacks--just the polymer STI type.

I'll make an honest effort to find the dealer I did business with, but my hopes are high.

UPDATE: Well, that was easy: Sugar Creek Firearms on gunsamerica.com:

GA Login: Sugar Creek Firearms
Address: 50 S. Hwy UU
City: Columbia
State: MO
Zip: 65203
Phone: 573-289-5564
Email: [email protected]
Joined On: 08/09/2006

I see that I made my purchase around Christmas of 2012, and I saw this dealer offer several after that--but still, that's a while ago. Worth calling though--he seemed like a good sort to deal with and I imagine he knows the ins and outs of how to get a Hunter, if that's possible.

Last edited by Bongo Boy; May 21, 2015 at 11:09 PM.
Old May 22, 2015, 09:37 AM   #4
Bongo Boy

It doesn't look promising. I don't see the Hunter on the EAA web site anymore, nor the for 'Elite Match Bullseye', both of which were 6" guns available in 10mm. What they now have is a cheesed-out two-tone gun called the Witness Match Xtreme, a 6" 'available' in 10mm.

If Fusion would just get some Caspian all-steel double-stack frames we'd be all set--they offer just about every gun they assemble in 10mm. Plus you then wouldn't haven't to suffer a two-tone gun with holes drilled all over in it.

It looks like, right now, your only other choice in a double-stack 10 is to go with the Glock 20 or 40, but those are hardly comparable to the Hunter.

Last edited by Bongo Boy; May 22, 2015 at 09:47 AM.
Old May 22, 2015, 10:40 AM   #5
Unlicensed Dremel

Thank you Bongo. Yeah, that's what I've been finding too. Not good. And no one is gonna sell such a gem that they recently got. Why would they stop importing? Maybe they will get a batch in the USA. I will wait patiently, and meanwhile, research 2011 custom makers. Thanks again.
Old May 22, 2015, 12:05 PM   #6
Bongo Boy

Just judging from the lineup they show on their site, it seems almost entirely DA guns (I assume they're DA/SA), and in a lot of offerings I wouldn't consider really optimum carry guns, too.

But, while it's possible EAA simply stopped importing 1 or 2 (out of 40) guns they offer, it seems just as likely Tanfo stopped producing them. But this also makes no sense to me, since it seems so many of the auto pistols are really configurations of the same parts, generally. From appearances only, now, it looks like the Witness Match Xtreme is a Bullseye, a Hunter and maybe a couple of Match or Limited guns just rolled into a different (and uglier) configuration--with a milled slide.

Who can explain? It just seems to me that, if you import 25 handguns and 20 of them account for 40% of sales, 5 of them account for 60% of sales, then what difference does it make to keep producing 1 or 2 more that you already have? And for which there is virtually no competitive offering? I am not aware of ANY all-steel double stack 10mm other than that lovely Dan Wesson thing that 4 people in America can afford to buy, and that is never actually available either.

Market Mysteries.