The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 4, 2013, 12:52 PM   #1
Voyager2011

44 MAG Quick Question

Just got a shipment confirmation from a Falcon Bullets order I placed late last night for 44MAG 240gr LSWC.
Not new to reloading, but this is a new cartridge to load for me. I have a good bit of several type powders to try on these, but just don't have the time to narrow down my selection between Unique and H110. Any help and opinion would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks!!
Old May 4, 2013, 01:43 PM   #2
mikld

For me and my .44 Magnums (5 of them), Unique is much more versatile. H110/W296 is full out Magnum loads only, no reduction of charges is recommended. I can get magnum velocities and also easy shooting "Special" level loads with Unique. Since I have found that full out, near max. loads aren't necessarily the most accurate, and any animal I shoot wouldn't be able to tell if my 250 gr. LSWC is going only 1100 fps rather than 1400, I'll stay with Unique (of the two you mention).

jes my thoughts...
Old May 4, 2013, 03:18 PM   #3
oldpapps

You haven't said what you are looking for with these bullets.

Raw, flat out power or accuracy or pleasant popping of targets. The bullet and round can do them all. Maybe not at the same time.

As stated so well above, H110/296 is considered less that suitable for reduced loading. So of the powders you have listed, the Unique would be your best bet for pleasantly popping targets. The H110/296 is a power house and your weapon/s may love or hate loads with it.

When supplies return to less than nuts, look at 2400 and or 231. Not saying that they are better than others. Just that others, including myself like them.

Disclaimer of sorts. I use 231 for my wimp loads and an unnamed, no longer available powder for my heavy lead/jacketed loads. I have used H110/296 and 2400 and Lt'Gun and some others in the past in .44s.

Load with care and enjoy,

OSOK
Old May 4, 2013, 05:28 PM   #4
rclark

Well, Unique works for me. I like 8.5g under the 240g SWC to duplicate the .44Special Skeeter load (1000fps) in .44Mag and then for all around 10g under the 240g SWC for a bit more punch (around 1100fps). Since I already have dedicated .44Spec revolvers to shoot the Skeeter load, I tend to load the .44Mag with the 10g load which is still a 'shoot all day' accurate load! I don't use H110/296 as it is an all or nothing powder. I prefer Unique for more range of power levels in the mid range. Turn to 2400 for the heavy (which I don't load much of).
A clinger and deplorable, MAGA, and life NRA member. When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. Single Action .45 Colt (Sometimes colloquially referred to by its alias as the .45 'Long' Colt or .45LC). Don't leave home without it. That said, the .44Spec is right up their too... but the .45 Colt is still the king.
Old May 4, 2013, 05:49 PM   #5
buck460XVR

Unique is more appropriate for use with lead bullets. H110/W296 is better suited for jacketed bullets pushed at the upper end of .44mag velocities and pressures. Your manuals should show you this.
Old May 4, 2013, 09:15 PM   #6
GeauxTide

If they are not hardened (Brinell 15-18), then Unique is the ticket with Standard Primers. 8-10 grains will give you 950-1100fps with great accuracy and comfort.
Old May 5, 2013, 06:15 AM   #7
Mike / Tx

Also if you have any of the AA powders from 5 through 9 you can look over on their site and pull down the PDF version of their manual. It list several Cast loads on it as well.

Between myself and my bud, we have found that they all work well depending on just what power level your looking for. With the 240'ish weight Keith types he is using AA-5 and I am using 7 & 9 for a bit more power.

As for what will work best in your revolver with no leading and such it will simply be a trial and error type thing. It might be Unique or you might be able to run up to the full power stuff with something like 2400 or 296/110.

I highly suggest you look around your local stores and see if you can find some Chore Boy brass pads. Use a small magnet and make sure they are brass and not plated steel. If you DO get leading, just wrap a small piece around the end of one of your bronze brushes and got to it. The added brass on the brush will cut the lead out in no time at all. Sort of a poor boys Lewe's Lead Removal if you will.
Old May 5, 2013, 07:45 AM   #8
Rifleman1776

I have used both successfully in the manner you describe.
What happened to the days when folks tried and tested for themselves?
Old May 5, 2013, 11:15 AM   #9
mikld

Quote:
Gone with the "instant answers" internet...
Old May 5, 2013, 11:27 AM   #10
buck460XVR

Quote:
Quote:
Gone with the "instant answers" internet...
.....along with referencing a manual.
Old May 5, 2013, 10:37 PM   #11
Miata Mike

Given the choice of those 2 powders for lead cast, I would opt for the Unique. Save the H110 for full power jacketed.

Side note: 2400 makes for interesting fire from the end of my barrels.
Old May 6, 2013, 06:31 AM   #12
TimSr

110 much better for Mag loads for the top end. Unique for any mild mag to moderate mag loads. Good cast bullets 18 BRN will work well with both apps. Use mag primer with 110, either primier with unique. 110 is much cleaner with less smoke. Unique is less than half the cost. I like to practice with the same rounds I hunt with other than the expensive premium quality hunting bullet.
Old May 6, 2013, 06:45 AM   #13
bird_dog

Quote:
For me and my .44 Magnums (5 of them), Unique is much more versatile. H110/W296 is full out Magnum loads only, no reduction of charges is recommended. I can get magnum velocities and also easy shooting "Special" level loads with Unique. Since I have found that full out, near max. loads aren't necessarily the most accurate, and any animal I shoot wouldn't be able to tell if my 250 gr. LSWC is going only 1100 fps rather than 1400, I'll stay with Unique (of the two you mention).
Same here. I like simple, and for me Unique fits the bill. Able to create easy target loads, as well as loads that have killed several large whitetail deer -- cleanly, and at extended distances (for a handgun).

I use it for 240jsp, 240gr lead, and 300gr Meister Hard Cast Bullets, and have had superb luck and accuracy with them. (It's also my only .45acp powder -- I'm a big fan).
Old May 6, 2013, 06:56 AM   #14
dahermit

Traditionally, 2400 was the go-to powder (Ala Elmer Keith) for magnum loads in the .44 Magnum, Unique for target loads. He recommended using standard, not magnum primers despite the fact that 2400 (the '60's version of 2400; I do not know if they change it), always left considerable un-burned powder on the ground.
Old May 6, 2013, 02:29 PM   #15
ky hunter

The faster you push LSWC the more lead you leave in the barrel.The best is the power thats burns clean and all of it before the bullet leaves the gun. Its no fun cleaning lead and powder. Try 2400
Old May 6, 2013, 11:32 PM   #16
Voyager2011

Thanks, guys! Decided to go with Unique. And, YES, I will be testing, just didn't have time to test two different powders. Thought I might get some insight from experience. Is there a problem using others experience as a resource? No...
Old May 7, 2013, 04:03 AM   #17
Mike / Tx

Quote:
Is there a problem using others experience as a resource? No...
Right now with all of the new reloaders hitting the forums there are simply too many of them wanting instant gratification. You know, give me what works best, and I'm good sort of thinking.

I caught on to what you were looking for, not so much a specific load, but what powders to start with so you could move ahead from there.

I would probably get a similar reaction if I posted up a similar thread asking what powder do you like best in the 45 ACP. It has nothing to do with the fact I have loaded since I was 8 and am now very shy of 50, or that I have a dozen or so manuals, or even the half dozen or so powders that might work well with it. I just haven't loaded the ACP for very long, and there are a huge number of powders which will work and work well with it under a wide variety of bullets and weights.

All that said, we still have to be somewhat careful as SOME folks, really do just want a specific load and have no intentions of working anything up.
Old May 7, 2013, 01:41 PM   #18
Voyager2011

Quote:
Right now with all of the new reloaders hitting the forums there are simply too many of them wanting instant gratification. You know, give me what works best, and I'm good sort of thinking.

I caught on to what you were looking for, not so much a specific load, but what powders to start with so you could move ahead from there.

I would probably get a similar reaction if I posted up a similar thread asking what powder do you like best in the 45 ACP. It has nothing to do with the fact I have loaded since I was 8 and am now very shy of 50, or that I have a dozen or so manuals, or even the half dozen or so powders that might work well with it. I just haven't loaded the ACP for very long, and there are a huge number of powders which will work and work well with it under a wide variety of bullets and weights.

All that said, we still have to be somewhat careful as SOME folks, really do just want a specific load and have no intentions of working anything up.
Thanks Mike! I completely understand and agree. I've read many, many threads of obvious new reloaders trying to get all of their load data from the forums. Bad habits to start! No offenses taken here...
Old May 7, 2013, 02:23 PM   #19
rclark

Quote:
The faster you push LSWC the more lead you leave in the barrel.
Not true at all. That's a myth. I've pushed lead SWC bullets in my .44Mag from 700-1300fps with no leading what-so-ever. I am sure I could push even higher (just haven't found the need to do so). BTW, all I shoot is lead in .357, 44Spec/.44Mag, and .45ACP, and .45 Colt. If throats are wrong size... you will lead. If you have barrel constrictions you will lead. If you have wrong hardness of bullet you will lead. There are many reasons for leading.... But velocity isn't one of them .
A clinger and deplorable, MAGA, and life NRA member. When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. Single Action .45 Colt (Sometimes colloquially referred to by its alias as the .45 'Long' Colt or .45LC). Don't leave home without it. That said, the .44Spec is right up their too... but the .45 Colt is still the king.
Old May 7, 2013, 07:04 PM   #20
larryh1108

Quote:
I guess forums like these have no purpose, then.

I guess we can all try 5 different loads from 30 different powders to find one we like or we can ask experienced people with similar likes what works for them.

I know, it's silly.

Pure wasted of good band width.