The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old December 23, 2012, 09:07 AM   #1
stevej

Looking for an inexpensive truck revolver

that wouldn't make me cry if it was stolen. I'm guessing something from the Taurus/Rossi/Charter Arms lines. Will try to get the wife to shoot it, don't know if I can for sure, so was thinking of a little longer barrel than a stubbie, maybe 3 to 4 inches. Maybe 357/38 and of course practice with the 38's. Keep hearing Taurus is a hit or miss and they have bought Rossi. CA talk is the new owner is doing good. I know this is an old ? but thought I would ask for some up-to-date info so to speak. Would love to get one of the Ruger 6's if I could find one but think I would cry if it was stolen. Any thoughts to help a fairly new handguner.
Old December 23, 2012, 09:28 AM   #2
Cornhusker77

I've got an EAA Windicator that sounds like the type of gun you need
I like the gun but if someone stole it, it wouldn't be the end of the world
Old December 23, 2012, 09:35 AM   #3
drail

Help me understand the definition of a "truck revolver".
Old December 23, 2012, 09:36 AM   #4
Sarge

Sounds like the perfect job for a Armscor 38.
Old December 23, 2012, 09:39 AM   #5
MSD Mike

I saw a S&W model 10 at the pawn shop yesterday for $285. Finish was ugly but the gun was solid. 4" barrell. Something like that would be perfect.
Mike
Old December 23, 2012, 09:52 AM   #6
MSD Mike

drail, it's what's known as an excuse to buy another gun
Old December 23, 2012, 10:00 AM   #7
lowercase

Quote:
I'm guessing something from the Taurus/Rossi/Charter Arms lines.
I can give a recommendation for a Charter Bulldog .44.

Big bore snub, stainless finish available, good ergonomics, not expensive (not cheap, either). I really like the one I have.

Mine has a 2.5" barrel, and there's a 4" barrel available on the "Target Bulldog". The older ones had a 3" barrel available, and the company is bringing back that option in a "Classic" Bulldog".

Old December 23, 2012, 10:08 AM   #8
Kreyzhorse

Even of it is just a truck gun, I assume you want one that functions? I'd skip Taurus and the lot and look for a used but cosmetically beat up S&W or Ruger. You'll get more gun for your money that way.
Old December 23, 2012, 10:09 AM   #9
lowercase

Quote:
I see that Bud's still has them for sale. A lot of places have sold out of them.

I've been eyeing them, but went way over budget on other guns lately, so i have to wait a while.

They get decent write ups, and current owners tend to like them.
Old December 23, 2012, 03:11 PM   #10
stevej

"Help me understand the definition of a "truck revolver".

Just a gun that I will carry in the truck/car and leave it there when we are in town etc. May get banged around a bit etc. It will not be a carry gun as I don't yet have a CCW yet, got a 9mm semiauto for that. But it will get shoot so I do want a longer barrel than a stubnose, think that may scare my wife. Would love to find a well used but tight S&W or Ruger.

Last edited by stevej; December 23, 2012 at 03:16 PM.
Old December 23, 2012, 03:50 PM   #11
Mystro

I bought my dad a Rossi 357mag snub and it is a very nice and surprisingly accurate gun. I have carried a Charter Arms for years in my tackle box. It's tough to screw up a revolver.

"Ask not what you can do for your country, but what free entitlements you can bleed from your country"
Old December 23, 2012, 05:02 PM   #12
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarge
I agree completely. I've shot several of them, and tinkered with one. Not in the same class as a classic S&W or Colt, but solid revolvers at an affordable price.

But ... they are .38 Special only, not .357 Magnum. If you need the .357, look elsewhere. Problem is, where? Taurus has a well-deserved reputation for lousy and unreliable guns, and Charter Arms seems to be in another downward quality spiral at the moment. I wouldn't recommend either of those. Rossi? Rossi is Taurus.
Old December 23, 2012, 07:35 PM   #13
Sarge

I wish Armscor would offer those revolvers in 357, Aguila Blanca. As with their 1911's, the company has a knack for offering good working guns at a decent price.
Old December 24, 2012, 02:22 AM   #14
Jkady

What about a $100ish Nagant revolver if it's just a truck gun? Assuming you have a regular carry piece and it won't be a first line of defense. Then again "truck gun" for me is usually something for impromptu plinking or dispatching an animal that was hit with the truck so they've always been cheap shotguns or .22 rifles.

The Armscor revolvers are a great little gun but being that good and that cheap, I've yet to see one spend any time in the case at a gun shop, everyone I know that owns one had to order it and wait.
Old December 24, 2012, 04:38 AM   #15
Sport45

Quote:
Looking for an inexpensive truck revolver

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

that wouldn't make me cry if it was stolen.
How are you going to secure the thing? Will you even know when it's been stolen?

If you want a gun and are truly nonchalant about its falling into the wrong hands I recommend a 1895 Nagant. At least that way you are limiting most of the potential thieves to the 7 rounds that are chambered.

I don't leave a firearm in the car or truck unless I have to.
Old December 24, 2012, 08:28 AM   #16
bikerbill

Taurus 85 ... it's my car gun, virtually indestructible, accurate at SD distances, bet you could find a good used one for $200 or so, new near $400 ...
Old December 24, 2012, 08:39 AM   #17
rep1954

I'd have to go along with S&W Model 10 police trade in.Even though they are not so stamped they will handle +P ammo. Most that I have seen are worn but their actions are just broke in. They are great values.
Old December 24, 2012, 09:08 AM   #18
JonathanZ

I recently paid $275 for an old sheriff's trade in S&W 65-3 that is now my truck gun. It has some cosmetic blemishes, but is in otherwise great shape. I wanted the same thing for when I go places I can't carry inside because I don't like driving home late at night without a gun. The great thing about a revolver is you can run a cable through the trigger guard and lock the gun on something inside your truck. Then someone who smashes and grabs can't steal the gun because it would take bolt cutters to get it out.
Old December 24, 2012, 09:22 AM   #19
stevej

"I recently paid $275 for an old sheriff's trade in S&W 65-3 that is now my truck gun. It has some cosmetic blemishes, but is in otherwise great shape. I wanted the same thing for when I go places I can't carry inside because I don't like driving home late at night without a gun. The great thing about a revolver is you can run a cable through the trigger guard and lock the gun on something inside your truck. Then someone who smashes and grabs can't steal the gun because it would take bolt cutters to get it out."

Sounds like what I want but finding one is proving to not be easy around here, have never bought on line. Like I said would love to run across an old Ruer or S&W like that. Good idea on the cable, there are just times I would have to leave a gun in the car/truck. Still don't have my CCW yet, should have gotten it before the latest shooting, now the line is crazy. How do you post with a quote, I'm copy/paste as of now.
Old December 24, 2012, 09:44 AM   #20
solocam72

Maybe find a deal on a ruger sp101 in .357 mag
Old December 24, 2012, 10:56 AM   #21
drail

It really doesn't take bolt cutters to steal a locked gun. It only takes knowledge of how the lock is built and how to pick it. I have seen 5th graders that can pick most locks in seconds. I have to go with the crowd that believes that if you leave a gun unattended in a vehicle you are simply supplying a gun to the bad guys. You really should keep it under your control 24/7.
Old December 24, 2012, 11:35 AM   #22
JonathanZ

Quote:
It*really doesn't take bolt cutters to steal a locked gun. It only takes knowledge of how the lock is built and how to pick it. I have seen 5th graders that can pick most locks in seconds. I have to go with the crowd that believes that if you leave a gun unattended in a vehicle you are simply supplying a gun to the bad guys. You really should keep it under your control 24/7.
So you keep all of your guns under your control 24/7? That sure sounds realistic! So I go to either church or a sporting event where guns are not allowed in...oh wait, just don't go, right? Stay couped up in your house with all of your guns at your side 24/7....yeah, that's it...smash and grab robbers aren't carrying bolt cutters or lock picks either. A cable and lock is better than no lock at all. If I go somewhere I can't carry then I am leaving a gun in my truck, and I prefer for it to be the least expensive gun I own.
Old December 24, 2012, 02:39 PM   #23
stevej

My thoughts also JonathanZ

Someone tell me how to use quotes please. Sometimes you go to places you can't carry, do you go unarmed on the trip? Most thinks are a compromise I think. In MS your car/truck is an extension of your home so to speak so you can have one aboard when you can't carry. Not the best but it is the best you can do in gun free zones.
Old December 24, 2012, 03:03 PM   #24
ThomasT

A model 65 has been my truck gun for about 4 years now. I paid $280 for off gunbroker. Its not a beater gun but I didn't want a beater. I wanted something that was dead nuts reliable.

If your truck gun doesn't have to be a centerfire gun you coukld always go with a 22 auto or revolver. My ruger single six got me out of a very bad situation many years ago. Its a long story but I think I owe my life to that gun.
Old December 24, 2012, 05:05 PM   #25
Rainbow Demon

Theres all sorts of places to hide a small revolver in any pickup truck, glove box is a poor place to put one anyway.