The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old October 26, 2010, 06:46 PM   #1
silvercorvette

After reading the Self done NFA trust I think I may do a trust but....

I own 3 guns. If I decide to do a trust (with or without lawyer) do I need to buy 3 more tax stamps @ $200 each?

I the past mu local sheriff has usually signed the form in a week.

The rust allows you to let someone else shoot the guns without you being present but there is no way I would ever allow anyone to shoot my guns without me being present. So that part of the trust is a non benefit.
Old October 26, 2010, 07:01 PM   #2
Hkmp5sd

If you already own three registered NFA guns and want to transfer them to your trust, yep, you gotta pay another $200 each.

The local sheriff does not sign forms for Trusts. No pictures or fingerprints either.

It you are going to get a trust, many people recommend going ahead and paying a lawyer to create the Trust. There has been talk of people having their home made Trusts later ruled invalid by ATF for stomething they missed along the way which can leave all of your NFA stuff in limbo.

<<All of those with home made Trusts can now chime in and report they have performed several thousand transfers over 60 years and ATF has never had a problem with their home made Trusts.>>

NRA Life Member
Old October 26, 2010, 09:46 PM   #3
silvercorvette

Buying full auto is a mental illness, I bought the Thompson which was a childhood dream and did think it would be my only F/A. Then within a few weeks I decided to get an M-16, then last late spring early summer I bought a Uzi. Then about a month ago I put down a $300 deposit on a Suppressor and will pay the rest when it comes in but I haven't done any paperwork on the Suppressor So now I have paid $600 in stamps and will have to spend that money all over again.

I moved from NY to SC 3 years ago so for the first time in my life I lived in a free state where I could own F/A and got a little carried away with myself and went on a buying spree.

I don't know if I am going to be buying more guns and I hate spending money for something I already paid for and I so hoping when I asked the question that I would not have to pay for the stamps all over again but suspected I would have to.

Maybe I'll do the trust for the Suppressor then just do the other guns later on

Last edited by silvercorvette; October 26, 2010 at 09:59 PM.
Old October 26, 2010, 10:20 PM   #4
David Hineline

The trust only lets people in your trust posess your guns, not just people.

I say keep doing it the way you have.
Old October 26, 2010, 11:03 PM   #5
silvercorvette

"The trust only lets people in your trust posess your guns, not just people"
===============================================

I was aware of that.
Old October 26, 2010, 11:53 PM   #6
medalguy

Keep your current guns in your name and put anything new into the trust if no one will be allowed to shoot your guns without you present anyway. No need to transfer them into the trust. That's what I did.
Old October 27, 2010, 09:59 AM   #7
demigod

Quote:
Keep your current guns in your name and put anything new into the trust if no one will be allowed to shoot your guns without you present anyway. No need to transfer them into the trust. That's what I did.
I agree. There's a lot of nuts out there who are paranoid about the Trust thing and think the Gov is going to invalidate all Trusts in the NFA. The practical truth is... once you have the NFA item, no one gives a CRAP about it.

I transfer NFA items on the path of least resistance. And for me, that's the Trust. I'd never go through an individual transfer again. Too much ass ache.