The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 1, 2015, 09:12 AM   #1
GunGuru

Help With A First Handgun

Hello, I have been looking at getting my first semi-auto handgun in the near future. I have narrowed it down to the Glock 17, and the Glock 22. (Both the gen 4 model.) Since thy are essentially the same gun with different calibers they both have pros and cons. I just want a gun to practice with, and carry when I hunt, for not much money, but will also have enough punch to get the job done. If you think a 9mm will do that please say so. Thanks
Old January 1, 2015, 09:27 AM   #2
sigarms228

The 9MM is very effective against humans with he right SD ammo such as Federal HST, Speer Gold Dot, etc AND good shot placement.

However you are indicating that you are going to take it with you hunting so I am not sure for what purpose.

IMHO 9MM could be better for practice due to lower recoil and typically lower cost of ammo.

If at all possible try out a Glock 17 and Glock 22 to see how they shoot differently for you. I personally don't mind .40 but in a heavier pistol like the SIG P229 and not so much in lighter poly frame pistols.

Good luck!
Old January 1, 2015, 09:31 AM   #3
lee n. field

Quote:
Hello, I have been looking at getting my first semi-auto handgun in the near future. I have narrowed it down to the Glock 17, and the Glock 22. (Both the gen 4 model.) Since thy are essentially the same gun with different calibers they both have pros and cons. I just want a gun to practice with, and carry when I hunt, for not much money, but will also have enough punch to get the job done. If you think a 9mm will do that please say so. Thanks
"9mm will do"

Probably.

What do you anticipate possibly shooting at when you hunt?
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old January 1, 2015, 11:00 AM   #4
SSGN_Doc

If you buy the .40 you can get a 9mm conversion barrel and 9mm mags for range time and practice. You don't have that option with the 9mm. You could also get a .357 Sug barrel for the .40 if you thought you needed a round with more "zip". Then finally get a .22 conversion kit for it and you potentially have 4 guns in one.

Yes you'd end up putting some extra cash in to the .40, but you would have options to have the two calibers you are interested in for less money than buying both guns.
Old January 1, 2015, 11:24 AM   #5
GunGuru

Thanks for all of the ideas. When I hunt I just want to carry it as a sidearm, the only thing I might use it for would be grouse, or to dispatch a wounded animal. As far as that goes, a 9mm would be fine. I guess the 22 would be the best option because of the versatility of the platform.
Old January 1, 2015, 11:45 AM   #6
SSGN_Doc

A 9mm will get the job that you describe done. If you want to keep it simple, then the 17 is a great pistol. I've got a police trade in 17 that has been my reload mule, practical match gun, woods gun, parts testing platform, and stippling experiment platform, for over 10 years. I Think of at as being the JEEP if my handguns. Only failures I've experience were from my own reloads that I made too light, ( trying to see how light I could go and still get reliable function for matches. So, it told me what I needed to know.)
Old January 1, 2015, 12:09 PM   #7
lee n. field

Quote:
the only thing I might use it for would be grouse, or to dispatch a wounded animal.
Glock 17 or 19, you'll be fine.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "

Tags
40 s&w , 9mm , glock , glock 17 , glock 22