The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 23, 2005, 06:36 PM   #1
oakfall

resizing 44 brass

How far down the case do you guys resize the 44mag brass.I always resize the full length but wondering is I should stop below bullet seating line.
Thanks, oak
Old January 23, 2005, 07:22 PM   #2
steveno

I always full length size all straight wall cases
Old January 24, 2005, 06:51 AM   #3
only1asterisk

You don't have to fully resize revolver brass every time. Sizing the neck is fine as long as you size enough to get good bullet pull. Partially resizing has potential to improve accuracy in some guns, but I you probably aren't going to realize any benefit unless you chambers are oversize.

I would always full length resize for a lever action rifle.

David
Old January 24, 2005, 07:01 AM   #4
MADISON

Partial sizing a 44 case?

To size any straight wall [44] case othere than full is asking for trouble.
When the pprimer and powder goes off the case expands to the diameter of the cylinder/chamber. Not sizing the whole case will leave you with cases that will not go all the way into the cylinder.
Old January 24, 2005, 01:19 PM   #5
Robert M Boren Sr

I always full lenght size pistol brass. No questions asked. You really don't save time or gain much in accuracy to make it worth while.
Old January 24, 2005, 03:21 PM   #6
Rmouleart

I full length resize my 44mag cases,to do so, tern your die till it touches the caseholder on the up stroke, then back off a quarter tern, good to go. Aim small hit small. RAMbo.

p.s. I also chamfer and debur and trim to size, before loading.
Old January 26, 2005, 12:49 PM   #7
oakfall

Thanks to all.I'm very glad to have found this site.
oak
Old January 26, 2005, 05:59 PM   #8
Cal4D4

Yes and no. My Redding dies say keep the sizing die 1/8 inch off the shellholder. This is because they accomodate .44 special as well as magnum. Read the instructions that came with your die set.
Old January 27, 2005, 03:36 AM   #9
only1asterisk

MADISON,

That isn't quite true. The case does expand to fit the chamber, but after the pressure is removed it contracts somewhat. It doesn't go bact to it's prefired size, but neither does it remain the full size of the chamber. If it did, you would have to pound them out of the chamber.

After a few firings, partially resized cases will become too tight and need to be full length resized.

What Mr. Borden says is true, partially resizing is not going to make a big increase in accuracy (in most cases), nor is it any faster. What it might do is make a big difference in a revolver with oversized chambers, a condition for which there is no other easy cure. This is most often seen in 45 Colts, but I have seen a 41 Mag and sevel 357's so afflicted. If one has such a revolver, you can spend $100 getting a set of custom dies made (no carbide) and still find that the gun doesn't shoot well enough to make the investment worthwhile.

David