The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old August 3, 2011, 06:12 PM   #1
mrappe

Pietta 1858 5 1/2" or 8"

I do CAS with .45 LC and have had a Pietta 1858 8" for about 13 yrs. I really like the gun and with 25-30 grn Goex it is one of the most accurate handguns that I own. I have been wanting another 1858 and am contemplating buying a 5 1/2 " for my second gun and using the as a CAS gun. I was thinking of the 5 1/2 since I like the looks of it and it will be easier to draw and is lighter but I am not sure what loading and shooting one is like compared to the 8". Is it as accurate? etc. Has anone had experience with both of these lengths and do you prefer one over the other and why?

Thanks for any input.
Old August 3, 2011, 08:21 PM   #2
Shotput79

I have had the 58 Remington target model for over 20 yrs now. It is one of my best revolvers. It has held up well. Couple years ago I bought the 1858 New Army with a 5.5" barrel. It's a winner glad I bought it. It will shoot right were you point it, and is handy with the shot barrel. This last May I wanted another New Army with the 8" barrel without the target sights and orderd one from Cabela's I love these 1858s, there accurate, easy to load, clean, and just look good, and feel good in hand. If you want to put a second cylinder in it takes just seconds and you don't have to be pulling the revolver apart to do it. The sights are easy to file down just a little at a time and they'll hit where point them. I have Colts but if I really had to make a choice what to keep what to sell I believe I would keep my 1858s. Now I want one more with a 12" barrel but I don't want the brass frame it has to be steel frame or I'll pass. The loads I like run 20 to 30grs of FFF BP or Pyrodex. You can push these steel models to 40grs but I don't do it I just know they will handle it. I know I talk a lot but just love the 58 Remingtons enough to tell you go for it.
Old August 4, 2011, 10:46 AM   #3
Rachen

I have both of them. The 8 inch model I nicknamed the "Hunter" or "Prairie" model since I use it basically for long range shooting and hunting.

The 5 inch one I nicknamed the "Gunfighter", because it conceals so easily, whether in a holster, waist/tool belt or simply in the pocket of one of my heavy motorcycle jackets. I usually carry that one with me when I head to an area where the local sheeple frown upon openly carried sidearms. That, and a Turkish khanjar or cowboy bowie.

The roughly 3 inch difference in barrel length had no effect on velocity as far as I know from chrony tests I had done with both pistols.

Both of them have spare cap and ball cylinders as well as Kirst conversions so if I am in a pinch, .45 LC black powder handloads are always stocked up. I have also painted the sights on both of them with sight-paint for easier sight picture acquisition in low light conditions. Overall, I appreciate both guns equally, they are so reliable that I have no other considerations as a concealed carry or hunting weapon.