The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old October 24, 2010, 10:20 AM   #1
Win73

First deer of the season

Got my first deer of the season this past Thursday evening. It was a nice doe, weighed about 150. It was a job for two of us to get it into the truck. The season is only a week old but the processor told me it was the biggest doe he had seen so far.

I had eight does of various sizes in front of me. I was in a ladder stand. The deer never knew I was there. This doe gave me a broadside shot at 30 yards. I put the second horizontal crosshair centered just behind her front shoulder. (I hunt with a crossbow.) When I pulled the trigger, all eight deer bolted. The arrow (I know they are called bolts but I just like to use arrow) went through her and stuck in the ground just a few feet past where she had been standing. She went about 100 yards.

I just got my crossbow about a month ago. It is my first foray into bow hunting.
(Luke 11:21 KJV) When a strong man armed keepeth his palace, his goods are in peace:

(Luke 22:36 KJV) Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.
Old October 24, 2010, 10:23 AM   #2
astorbilt

CONGRATULATIONS.
Using a crossbow is a really amazing way to take game...
Old October 24, 2010, 10:29 PM   #3
kaylorinhi

Hey a crossbow took King Richard, any new world animal should be proud to be harvested by the lion-heart killer.
Old October 24, 2010, 10:41 PM   #4
Countertop

Nice job!

Any pictures? What kind of crossbow? I've been thinking of grabbing one but not real sure what I need to look for.
Old October 25, 2010, 11:41 AM   #5
Win73

Sorry, no pictures. I should have taken some, at least with my cell phone. But I was in a hurry. It was 6:13 PM when I shot it. By the time I tracked it down and got it back to the truck, it was getting late so I headed straight to the processor.

The crossbow is a Barnett Wildcat C5. It is a 150 pound pull. The velocity is 320 fps. It has a 4 power crossbow scope on it. It is almost like shooting a rifle, just not nearly the range.

I hit the deer right behind its front shoulder. The arrow went through the deer and stuck in the ground on the far side.
(Luke 11:21 KJV) When a strong man armed keepeth his palace, his goods are in peace:

(Luke 22:36 KJV) Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.
Old October 25, 2010, 12:39 PM   #6
jhog1

Quote:
I just got my crossbow about a month ago. It is my first foray into bow hunting.
Sorry, but I really don't consider using a crossbow bow hunting. I think they should be used by a person with a disablity that can't draw a bow, or during the rifle season. Just my opinion. Congrats on that big doe
Old October 25, 2010, 02:48 PM   #7
davlandrum

Quote:
Quote:
Sorry, but I really don't consider using a crossbow bow hunting.
That is because it is not. It is crossbow hunting.

However you legally hunt, I am OK with - just don't want it mistaken for something it is not.

And congrats on the doe!

Ethics is knowing the difference between what you have a right to do and what is right to do. -Potter Stewart

Last edited by davlandrum; October 25, 2010 at 04:18 PM.
Old October 25, 2010, 02:54 PM   #8
jimbob86

Congrats!
Old October 25, 2010, 03:57 PM   #9
markj

I dont care if you use a rock, kill them deer before they kill you hit many a deer where I live. Bad thing is paying a deductable and no jerky