The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 17, 2009, 06:55 PM   #1
newguy07

primer brands?

I just ordered some magtech small pistol primers from grafs and sons as they actually had some in stock for today. Anyways my question is are all small pistol primers essentially the same? I have been using winchester small pistol primers as thats all that was available locally so can I just use the same load with the magtechs?
Old September 17, 2009, 07:33 PM   #2
Jkinkade

Should be ok with the same loads (powder & primer),,,,,,,I use strictly Winchester but know some who use those with no problems.
Old September 17, 2009, 07:48 PM   #3
got_the_itch

Well they certainly didnt last long. "Out of stock"
Old September 17, 2009, 08:05 PM   #4
Unclenick
Staff

Not all magnum or standard primers are created equal. The general rule of thumb is to lower your loads 10% any time you change any component or powder lot number, then work it back up, watching for pressure signs. However, in the case of primers, 5% is usually considered enough.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old September 17, 2009, 08:40 PM   #5
oneounceload

If your loads are currently near max, then back them off to mid range and work up.....if you're on the low/starting range, then you should be OK
Old September 17, 2009, 11:31 PM   #6
buffalo

I have used a bunch of the Magtech sp primers the last couple months on some 9mm and they were fine.
Old September 19, 2009, 08:48 PM   #7
dewcrew8

i thought that to, always used winchester reg & mag primers)but i never used remington brand and thats all they had so i got some (#1 1/2 small primers) thinking all primers are the same. after putting them in 357 mag brass, i read the small print on the side, and it says not to use in 357 mag,357 sig, and 40 s&w . tryed them in 10 rds and they worked ok, just didnt like the burn. so check the small print before you buy primers. some guys i tolked to say they used them in 357 all the time , i just didnt like them.all you can do is try new things!
Old September 19, 2009, 10:21 PM   #8
medalguy

The general recommendation is that the magnum cases really need the extra "oomph" from the magnum primers. The standard will probably work OK but why take the chance? I'd opt for the magnum primers.