The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 24, 2013, 06:11 PM   #26
Hawg

I'm still using the Lee single stage press I started with 30 some years ago and I love Lee dies. I have a few RCBS dies but I bought them used and cheap. I use a RCBS priming tool and a Hornady Lock N Load powder measure and a Hornady balance beam scale. I don't load a lot of ammo at a time and I take my time and do one thing at a time.
Old November 24, 2013, 06:45 PM   #27
landlord

I have rcbs balance scales that I got in my used starter kit. I just loaded a box of 45lc with Lee press and dies. I still measure powder one shot at a time.
Old November 24, 2013, 08:16 PM   #28
Dc777

I am a hunter but unfortunately for me I don't know a single person that has ever reloaded a bullet. I have that against me. Like I said I'm on a budget. By Christmas I want to have a press and the majority of what I need to get started. I don't have to be reloading bullets the day after Christmas, I just want the majority of the stuff because everything firearms related is hard to find after Christmas. Seeing the press mounted in my shed would be the motivation I need. Once again my work is mainly seasonal so I'll have plenty of extra money come spring. I want to learn to reload with the cheapest stuff and master it ( safely of course). I can always upgrade. I didn't learn to drive a truck with a manual transmission that was brand new... But now I can shift the hell out of a corvette. I didn't learn to play the guitar on a fender, but I can make one sing now.... Does anyone understand what I'm getting at and trying to do?
Old November 24, 2013, 08:17 PM   #29
Dc777

Another thing that I would like to point out is in the past year I have shot under 300 rounds out of all of my guns combined. Reloading is going to be a hobby for me aka my alone time. Peacefull, no stress.
Old November 26, 2013, 03:08 PM   #30
John C

Reloading!! I need expert advice.

I'm the same way. Reloading for me is like knitting for others. Except I get to shoot when I'm done.

If you don't have anyone to show you how to reload, strongly consider starting out with pistol instead of rifle. There's a lot less going on with pistol. No lube, no trimming, and headspace is a lot simpler. Get yourself some lee carbide pistol dies, a lee press, a set of lee dippers, some Berry's played bullets, some primers, and some faster burning pistol/shotgun powder and you're all set.

I'm a big fan of Lee, and use a lot of their stuff. The one thing I would skip buying is the lee scale. I find it extremely difficult to use compared to my RCBS. The lee perfect powder measure works very well for $25. I used one for years until I upgraded.

If you already have brass that was fired in your rifles, I would recommend skipping full length sizing at first and start with a lee collet neck sizing die (for non semi-auto rifles). It's easy and you can just get started. Once you reload the brass a bunch of times, you can then full length resize the cases. I never full length resize: I use a redding body die ($25) when the brass gets a bit larger and won't chamber easily. You'll need to case lube to seize the body.

When you start with rifle, start with the easier calipers, like .30-06. Once you've master that, take on the belted magnums like .300 win mag.

Good luck!

-John
Old November 26, 2013, 04:32 PM   #31
Metal god

I forgot to mention that when I bought my Hornady lock-n-load classic kit . It came with a mail in rebate for 500 bullets of my choice . That turned out to be a value of $120 , so I got the press kit for $130 . That's the kind of things I'm talking about when I say take your time and let the deals come to you .

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old November 26, 2013, 08:43 PM   #32
wncchester

Forget the tool elitists and RCBS hype, get a Lee Classic Cast press and build your own tool inventory, not a kit from anyone. "It's hard to beat a Rock Chucker" but it's quite easy to match and, where there are small user feature differences differences between the RC and CC, the CC is the better press at any price. And I say that as a 25 year owner of an RC, but I'm too old and too experienced with a lot of loading tools to hold any blind loyalty to inanimate objects.

Lee's dies aren't as purty externally as others but ammo is made inside and Lee's insides work as well as anyone's of their basic type and some Lee features are better than higher priced dies. Plus all but their RGB sets include the necessary shell holders for each cartridge, other brands charge $6-$9 for each shell holder.

Get a Beam Scale (Eliminator, I think) from Dillon; it's exactly the same as one from RCBS but a good bit less costly. Get the Perfect powder measue from Lee and set it up according to the instructions and it will work as well oe better than it's much more costly competitors. The purpose of case trimmers is to trim cases - Lee's system does that as well as any. And Lee's tiny chamfer/debur tool is a pain in the fingers to use for long but it works great. Get a powder trickler from Redding, the others are too light weight to use easily. An Inertia buller puller isn't necessary but it sure can be helpful - get a Berry's or Cabelas for the best tool and lowest price too. Other things like loading blocks and powder funnels are needed but it hardly matters who makes them - cheap is good. Redding's Imperial or Hornady's Unique case lube is great; apply it quickly with your fingers as you pick up each case to sizeit, without buying a lube pad. Add a loading manual and that's the entire list of basic tools needed. Lee's manual has excellant loading data and powder selection information as well as well written beginner instructions.

You do NOT need a case tumbler (Berry's/Cabela's). You do NOT need a dial caliper (Harbor freight Tools, often 'on sale' for $12) or micrometer but they are nice to have. You will NOT need more than one manual, at least not for a long time; the always present data differences between manuals add to noob confusion without any added value if you follow the written instructuons properly. If you don't follow instructions, you can't buy enough manuals to be safe!
Old November 27, 2013, 01:22 AM   #33
jamaica

Absolute necessities? For sure I would get a press, not a hand tool.

Manual
Press
Shell holders for each caliber
Die set for each caliber
Powder scale
Powder funnel
Primer arms for both small and large for the press, or a hand priming tool.
IOW, some tool to prime with.

That will let you load, but it will be slow dipping and weighing powder. You will very soon want a powder measure.

It won't be long before you want some calipers, and a de-burr tool, then a case trimmer.

If doing military brass with crimped primers, you will need a primer pocket reamer.

......... as others have suggested the list goes on. However, let me say this, the tools last a long time. A few years down the road the cost of the tools won't seem like much when you see what you get out of them. Guess I am the case in point. I bought my setup in 1957. I was 17 years old. Still use that original stuff. Yes I have added to it as I went along, but the $13 bucks I gave for my Herters #3 Press seems like peanuts now. It doesn't owe me anything.
Old November 27, 2013, 01:33 AM   #34
jamaica

Don't know if you are prone to shop E Bay, but there is often some good bargains on there. Loads of re-loading tools listed.
Old November 27, 2013, 10:06 AM   #35
Dc777

I'm leaning more towards ebay.
Old November 27, 2013, 10:39 AM   #36
wncchester

I can't say it's impossible to get a good deal on eBay but it's not common. I used to get a few eBay items, 10-15 years ago, but I won't pay more than half of new price for used stuff, including the price of shipping; it gets too close to what new stuff costs. When eBay's 'buy-it-now' and bid prices got higher than the mail order price of new, I quite looking at eBay. My most recent purchase was years ago and it hasn't gotten any better recently. YMMV.
Old November 27, 2013, 11:12 AM   #37
William T. Watts

If price is your primary concern then Lee would be the choice, if quality and duribility with a lifetime warrenty if you screw something up RCBS is the way to go! I've tried Lee and DON'T LIKE it, the only Lee items I have are a few crimp dies and that is it. RCBS, Lyman, Redding are just a few names that comes to mind that are quality products also. If you can't afford quality up front wait until you can pay for these products without straining your pocketbook! For what its worth most of the dies I have and press are RCBS with many 30 or more years old, it doesn't get any better than that!! William

Last edited by William T. Watts; November 27, 2013 at 11:13 AM. Reason: I agree with wncchester about ebay too!
Old November 29, 2013, 12:11 AM   #38
Hundy

geting started

I used to reload in the 90's, I started with a RCBS rock chucker set. I was reloading 30-30, 308, 357, and 45acp. I did it for a good for a few years. As our family grew, I sold everything. Now flash forward to beginning of this year, great ammo shortage of 2013. I bought another RCBS rock chucker set up. I read the book it came with, then I got the Lyman book and the Hornady book. I read them both and got 2 other references on reloading from the library. Plus lots of advice here. I have really gotten into it. I have purchased a lot more equipment. I currently reload 38sp, 357, 45acp, 40, and 5.56. I plan on getting dies for 45 long colt, 45-70, and 300blackout.

I guess my advice is, read a couple of different manuals. You don't have to read about every different rifle and pistol cartridge. Just read everything else in the book on reloading. Once you start, if you start ask question here. There is a lot of good people here to get advice form. I know when I started again I got a lot of advice here.

Purchase a entire kit, I am a fan of RCBS, but I would purchase a kit from what ever brand you like. Then buy extras later as you really get into it. I started with the rock chucker kit. I have sense purchased, brass tumbler, calipers, casing trimmers, all kinds of stuff. Cool thing is aside from the rock chucker and dies, all the other stuff could be other brands.

Good luck, and always ask questions.

Jay

PS: if you have a iphone RCBS makes a app that calculates money saved or how much reloading will cost you, its pretty cool
Old November 29, 2013, 03:15 AM   #39
Tango2020

I was there with you years ago. Was on a budget and bought the inexpensive press. Even told myself I was going to save money.

Today I have a Dillon XL650 with all the trimmings RCBS single stage and could have bought a very nice new car for the money I have invested in my reloading room.

Inexpensive Lee presses are a gateway drug. You will see.

Go ahead kid.......pull the leaver just one time. It won't hurt ya! LOL