The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old May 11, 2007, 11:32 AM   #1
Uncle Giggles

Calling All Springfield XD owners - I need a Holster!

I'm looking for a nice holster for my Springfield XD .45 Tactical 5". Not for concealment or anything, but so I can carry it around outdoors without having to find a place to set the gun down where it won't get scratched or dirty when I stop shooting for a while. Here's the criteria I'm looking for...

1. Preferably places the gun under left arm or on my right hip.

2. Doesn't wobble around, especially if it's belt-mounted.

3. Will hold the gun very securely when I holster it and is easy to get the gun into, but still allows for quick easy draw. I need to be confident that my gun will be totally safe if I have to walk a long distance over bad terrain.

4. Won't be abrasive or harsh on the gun's finish.

5. Must leave enough of the grip exposed that I can grab it and begin firing immediately without having to fumble around for it or "dig it out". I plan to start doing a lot of drills and practice time trials very soon to develop some skill, so I definitely need a quick draw.

That's about it folks. Remember, it doesn't have to be "pretty" and it doesn't have to be inexpensive. Let's get some recommendations!

Thanks in advance.
Springfield XD-45 Tactical - 6400 rounds / 0 malfunctions, STI Spartan 1911 .45 - 650 rounds / 0 malfunctions, S&W M&P 9mm - 200 rounds / 0 malfunctions, Bushmaster AR-15 XM15-E2S 16" Midlength Carbine .223 570 rounds / 0 malfunctions, Century Arms WASR-10 7.62x39 - 170 rounds / 0 malfunctions
Old May 11, 2007, 11:45 AM   #2
azredhawk44

Blade-tech.

I have one of their holsters for my XD9, set up similarly. It is called a "jacket slot holster" and it mounts on a 2" belt. The jacket slot feature pushes the gun a little bit away from your torso, which is good for hiking since you may have a backpack with a waist belt in the way of a conventional holster and draw method.

The design is really for police and such that wear a jacket but still need fast access to their weapon, but I have found that it adapts well to my purposes.
Old May 11, 2007, 03:18 PM   #3
Shane Tuttle
Staff

My answer is www.kdholsters.com. Talk to Cindy or Kevin. I bought three holsters and two belts from them. The quality of leather and workmanship is outstanding. The price was very reasonable, especially if you buy more than one item. Ship date was as promised.

My wife and I just got back from a Tactical Handgun course and got a lot of compliments on them. I wouldn't hesitate for one moment to buy another product from this company. Needless to say, you WILL NOT be disappointed.

All the best...

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
Old May 11, 2007, 08:01 PM   #4
dairycreek

I carry my XD45 and my XD9SC in the same holster and it works very well for either gun. It is the FIST #43 which can be worn either as an IWB or OWB holster (see pic). Works very well for me<

GOOD SHOOTING
Old May 12, 2007, 02:06 PM   #5
Uncle Giggles

What does everyone think about this one?

http://www.holsterss.com/servlet/the...ip-belt/Detail
Springfield XD-45 Tactical - 6400 rounds / 0 malfunctions, STI Spartan 1911 .45 - 650 rounds / 0 malfunctions, S&W M&P 9mm - 200 rounds / 0 malfunctions, Bushmaster AR-15 XM15-E2S 16" Midlength Carbine .223 570 rounds / 0 malfunctions, Century Arms WASR-10 7.62x39 - 170 rounds / 0 malfunctions
Old May 12, 2007, 03:53 PM   #6
Shane Tuttle
Staff

Some might think the thumb strap is fine, but I don't like them. Especially if you want to quick draw. Also, it appears that the holster you inquire isn't form fitted to the XD specifically. The KD holsters fit exactly to the model firearm that you submit. With the perfect fit, the gun doesn't wobble or move at all. Also, it didn't allow the gun to slide out of the holster when in compromising positions, hence the "no need" for the thumbstrap.

When it comes down to it, you do get what you pay for. On the same token KD doesn't take you to the cleaners either.

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
Old May 13, 2007, 12:54 AM   #7
River Rat 1969

Secure Protective Holster

Uncle, I have a Blackhawk Special Operations holster, to carry a Heckler & Koch 45 ACP in. A flap holster, with a thumbsnap in addition to the flap......extremely secure, and well protected. If you anticipate needing a fast draw, the flap velcros open, out of the way.

Wear it on your belt, or drop leg. For thrashing around in rough terrain, you cannot beat it. I also have a Blade Tec for dress clothes carry. They make a really nice ISP holster that lets you draw fast, but it offers no protection for your weapon if you are low crawling, climbing, or have dirt or leaves falling on you. Both are great holsters.

http://www.blackhawkindustries.com/

You can buy them mail order about $7 cheaper from these folks............

http://www.extremeoutfitters.us/index.asp

Jim
Old May 18, 2007, 11:45 AM   #8
dairycreek

Quote:
What does everyone think about this one?
I have several of that type holster and FWIW here are my comments.

PRO

They are inexpensive, can be worn either IWB or OWB, carry everything you want in one place, are made of ballistic material and will wear forever.

CON

In a good concealed carry holster the strap is redundant, the mag will be on your strong side (depending on what you use) and is difficult to get at should you need to {what do you do witih your gun when you need to take the mag out?}, the ballistic material while tough, is very, very thick (compared to leather or kydex) and makes for a somewhat uncomfortable IWB carry.

GOOD SHOOTING
Old May 18, 2007, 12:49 PM   #9
RSublime4Life

I have only heard food things about these http://www.crossbreedholsters.com/crossbreedIWB.html

NRA Life Member
Old May 21, 2007, 07:10 AM   #10
ShootingNut

Quality leather

holster for the XD that won't break the bank either!
http://www.donhume.com/Products/Prod...tNumber=XD45-5
Old June 19, 2007, 11:38 PM   #11
XD 45

look at galco holsters

"In peace, sons bury their fathers; in war, fathers bury their sons. - Herodotus"
Old June 20, 2007, 05:51 PM   #12
starshooter231

I think you would be happy with a Galco Fletch holster. It works great for me at the range or when concealment is not important.