The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old August 24, 2001, 11:16 AM   #1
dntorbert

.35 sks/ak

This is just a thought I had and thought I would put it out there. I have had very little(read: none) smithing experience and am a novice reloader so just questioning they fesability of rechambering/rebarreling the sks or ak to a necked up 357x39 cartridge made from 7.62x39 brass. I think I've seen some special purpose rounds the russians made that were 9mm x39 based on the 7.62x39 so it would seem feasible at least but how much of a headache would it be.
Old August 24, 2001, 10:31 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

I don't know of any barrels made to do that, so you would have to have the current barrel rebored, rerifled and rechambered, which means at least having a special chambering reamer made. You will have to balance the load against the gas port size, bolt weight and spring. You might run into a cartridge support problem due to lack of enough shoulder, a perennial problem with the .35 Remington. You will also need to have special dies made for reloading.

If you have upwards of a thousand bucks to spare, it probably can be done, but why? Even if it worked, the result would be an expensive, handloading-only proposition that you probably could never sell.

Jim
Old August 25, 2001, 01:52 AM   #3
zot

a wild cat SKS or AK, what cal is the 7.62x39 straight walled?.40?
it'd would be a .40 super,or .476
Old August 27, 2001, 12:46 PM   #4
zot

I had a few beers on that last post , it didn't make sense,but I've
been thinking that a switch to 5.45x39 would be a better cal if you could find a RPK barrel in that cal, if they made a RPK in that cal, damned beer!