The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 30, 2008, 01:42 AM   #1
monty098

Bullet lube.

Hi
First dumb question from a newposter!!

I have just got back into reloading after a long absence(20 years).
I have just finished loading about 60 .243's with my Lee Loader and realised that I didn't use lube on the projectiles when I seated them.
Is this a problem?
Will it greatly, if at all, increase pressures?
Should I pull the projectiles and start again?

Any info will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Monty
Old July 30, 2008, 01:57 AM   #2
okiefarmer

You didn't say if you had also gotten back into casting your own bullets too after 20 years. If you had or if you had just purchased lead cast .243 bullets, then they should have been lubed, yes, and likely sized. From your lack of a statement saying that the bullets would not go into the neck without a lot of pressure, I am guessing that you used copper jacketed bullets, which do not require lubing. Gotta have more info.
Old July 30, 2008, 05:51 AM   #3
monty098

Bullet Lube

Okie
Thanks for your reply.
The projectiles were store bought,not cast, and yes they were copper jacketed which probably answers my question. When seating these projectiles there was no undue pressure required . So I understand that there is no need to pull the projectiles?
Thanks
Monty
Old July 30, 2008, 09:28 AM   #4
okiefarmer

One would not have to size copper jacketed projos, they are correct diameter from the manufacturer. Cast projos are usually purchased from professional casters are normally lubed and sized also. When casting your own, they will need lubed and very often are in need of sizing; some moulds like LEE claim proper size is achieved as dropped from mould and don't need to be run through sizer to also lube, but instead tumble lube with ALOX, much quicker, but leaves lube all over the bullet, not just in lube grooves.

Welcome back to the hobby, and these days of rip-off ammo prices almost a neccessity.

Last edited by okiefarmer; July 30, 2008 at 09:30 AM. Reason: SCHPELLING
Old July 30, 2008, 07:58 PM   #5
amamnn

Not all store bought cast bullets come lubed. I just bought 500 that were not. Maybe that's why they were so cheap.