The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 14, 2012, 08:01 PM   #26
9x19

My first stop would be the Springfield TRP or Trophy Match...

After that I'd look at Les Baer Concept IV...

After that I'd look at Ed Brown's Kobra.

Old February 14, 2012, 08:29 PM   #27
mssurrey

Another vote for Springfield. I've got a 'Loaded' 1911 and it's a real beauty both physically and in terms of accuracy. Cost $850 a few years back and has everything from the 'match' barrel, to skeleton trigger and hammer, extended beavertail, checkering, front slide serrations (although they're not really require AFAIK), flared ejection port, and a sweet trigger pull.

It's hands-down my favorite pistol out of all I own (and i have quite a few!).
Old February 14, 2012, 08:44 PM   #28
dancarpenter95

I recently picked up a Kimber Ultra Carry Raptor 3" bbl and love it. I had a full size S&W E series and the two are in different classes.
Old February 14, 2012, 08:45 PM   #29
Catchabullet

Colt then upgrade your parts, try to stay away from GI sights (front sight is PART of the slide which means you cannot change to a tritium sight....ever). consider the commander model, good carry model, the loss of the inch is not noticeable, i can shoot dead accurate with mine at 25 yards. (the range i work at, only goes out to 25 yards, indoors), also, consider stainless steel. this makes for a GREAT carry piece. i don't have to worry about rust, hardly anyway.
Old February 15, 2012, 08:36 AM   #30
rodfac

I'd recommend the Ruger SR1911...great features, at a moderate price without all the advertising hype that you get with Kimber not to mention they're spotty QC. My SR1911 is just about as accurate as my tricked out Colts at half the price of the gunsmithing necessary to wring out good groups and reliability. Sub 2" at 25 yds with Winchester White Box cheapie 230 gr FMJ's too. Quality handloads do better than that. Availability is improving and you can find them for ~$650. Rod

Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.
Old February 15, 2012, 07:25 PM   #31
cuba

PT 1911

Amazing just Amazing, you can buy two of these, one in 45 acp and the other in 38 super totally trick out for less then 1,300, comes with a life time warranty.

I've had mine since 2008 and put approximately 16K rounds with no FTF, FTE or break in period, customer service is excellent and prompt couldn't be happier.

Cuba
Old February 16, 2012, 05:46 AM   #32
Venom1956

I'm surprised Dan Wesson has received so much praise... I've been hearing more and more about them. I always felt like i was in the minority... but its a fine brand glad to see people recommend them to others.
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph. -Smaug

Tags
.45 acp , 1911