The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old May 5, 2010, 12:52 PM   #1
ClemBert

Ruger Old Army

I went with a ROA for my photo submission in the photo contest. One of these days I'm gonna need to get a real camera. My little 1.2M pixel Canon Elph just doesn't cut it anymore. But here it is anyways.

Old May 6, 2010, 09:43 AM   #2
olyinaz

Lovely piece, great composition.

Your Canon was a great camera in its day and it still takes a great pic! Don't spend too much on a replacement Clem. You pretty much can't go wrong with a new Canon point and shoot.

Best,
Oly
Old May 6, 2010, 10:45 AM   #3
Hawg

Quote:
You pretty much can't go wrong with a new Canon point and shoot.
I'm less than thrilled with my Canon Power Shot A1000 IS.
Old May 6, 2010, 11:07 AM   #4
zippy13

Often better pics are a matter of better lighting not a new camera. Check out the close-ups by CajunPowder in the thread Uberti 1858 quest for positive lock. I was amazed by his pics down the cylinder bores (you've got a nice pic of your Uberti, too). Those great pics didn't happen by accident. For those who missed it, in post #61 CajunPowder describes some of his technique.
Old May 6, 2010, 11:12 AM   #5
Hawg

Quote:
Often better pics are a matter of better lighting not a new camera.
True but this one doesn't take good close ups in any lighting. My old Kodak Z650 would take pics so clear that proof marks that were hard to make out with a magnifying glass were crystal clear in the pics. This one is just a blur.
Old May 6, 2010, 11:19 AM   #6
ClemBert

There is nothing more frustrating that taking about 100 pics in so many camera modes and not being able to get a crystal clear photo. I don't think my old camera has a very good macro mode. I even use a tri-pod. Cajun takes awesome pics but even with his skill and knowledge I don't think he could make that Canon Elph produce clear macro pics.
Old May 6, 2010, 11:24 AM   #7
zippy13

There is nothing more frustrating that taking about 100 pics in so many camera modes and not being able to get a crystal clear photo.
Been there, done that.