The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old September 9, 2007, 02:29 PM   #1
ShootemDown

NYC Legal rifle recommendation

I am a new york city resident, with a long gun permit. I want an AR-15 in 5.56 but it is against our law due to evil feature. I would like something close to it, any recommendations ?

and is a adjustable length of pull stock considered a telescoping stock ?

So heres the law :

Quote:
16. "Assault weapon."
(a) Any semiautomatic centerfire or rimfire rifle or semiautomatic
shotgun which has one or more of the following features:
1. folding or telescoping stock or no stock;
2. pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the
weapon;
3. bayonet mount;
4. flash suppressor or threaded barrel designed to accommodate a flash
suppressor;
5. barrel shroud;
6. grenade launcher; or
7. modifications of such features, or other features, determined by
rule of the commissioner to be particularly suitable for military and
not sporting purposes. In addition, the commissioner shall, by rule,
designate specific semiautomatic centerfire or rimfire rifles or
semiautomatic shotguns, identified by make, model and/or manufacturer's
name, as within the definition of assault weapon, if the commissioner
determines that such weapons are particularly suitable for military and
not sporting purposes. The commissioner shall inspect such specific
designated semiautomatic centerfire or rimfire rifles or semiautomatic
shotguns at least three times per year, and shall revise or update such
designations as he or she deems appropriate.
(b) Any shotgun with a revolving-cylinder magazine.
(c) Any part, or combination of parts, designed or redesigned or
intended to readily convert a rifle or shotgun into an assault weapon.
(d) "Assault weapon" shall not include any rifle or shotgun modified
to render it permanently inoperative.
Seems like any AR I want is out of the question.

I want a 5.56mm/.223 rifle that isnt made of wood. I really like the pleasing looks of black plastic..

I dont mind a pump action AR.... is there such a thing ?
Old September 9, 2007, 04:33 PM   #2
Manedwolf

Can you have the Saiga 5.56/223? That's a very good one!

Sporter stock, 10rd mag stock, no pistol grip, no bayonet lug, comes with a chromelined 16" or 20" barrel for $259.

And MUCH more accurate than the flawed and overpriced Minis.

Old September 9, 2007, 05:12 PM   #3
VA9mm

Seems to me #7 pretty much says any gun they don't like can be put on the list. If I was an anti gun loon the Saiga would qualify as "non sporting purposes."

Do you have the list of banned rifles? Or a link to them would help.

If it were me I would try to go with the Springfield Armory M1 Garand .308 or 30-06. I know you said you wanted a 5.56 but the Garand would be my choice. But, again with #7 it seems they can put any gun on the list they don't like.
Old September 9, 2007, 05:38 PM   #4
ShootemDown

Wow, love the looks on that saiga... I'll check with the permit office as to the list of firearms on #7....
Old September 9, 2007, 06:14 PM   #5
Manedwolf

If you can get one, you'll really like it.

They're made by the same factory that the Russian army rifles are, the same place Mr. Kalashnikov still works.

Nice finish, very accurate, and because it's a Kalashnikov action, you could fall down a mountain with it into a muddy stream and it'd still work just fine.

They were designed specifically for 5.56x45 NATO, that model, and will eat absolutely anything. US surplus M855, XM193, Russian steelcase, precision soft-tip .223, whatever you put through it. You should also be okay with putting a softer trigger in it (TAPCO), which is US made. For hunting, the Saiga scope mount has 1" rings and is very stable, but any mount that locks to a Warsaw Pact rail will work as well. It will not take a standard 5.56 AK mag as-is without modification, so you're safe there as well, given NYC's laws.
Old September 9, 2007, 07:30 PM   #6
castnblast

I'd say screw NYC and move to Texas... Nothin's worse than living around a bunch of pinko-liberal, anti-gun wimps that want a high crime rate because they're to ignorant, and too stupid to understand that's why THE FOUNDING FATHERS PUT IT IN THE CONSTITUTION IN THE FIRST PLACE!!!...

O.K...I'm thinking happy thoughts now...
Old September 9, 2007, 07:35 PM   #7
intruder

Move To Pa it's closer than Texas. How can a gun lover stand living in New York City?
Old September 9, 2007, 08:10 PM   #8
bennnn

In that city,,,,, you can find all kinds of reasons why a Ruger PC-9 would be a great choice...

There will always be 9mm ammo around,,

http://world.guns.ru/civil/civ006-e.htm
Old September 9, 2007, 08:26 PM   #9
chris in va

Manedwolf beat me to it. Shot mine for the first time last weekend, feels exactly like my friend's Arsenal AK but lacks the 'evil' features.
Old September 9, 2007, 08:43 PM   #10
Wildalaska

Quote:
Nothin's worse than living around a bunch of pinko-liberal, anti-gun wimps that want a high crime rate because they're to ignorant,

Umm those pinko liberals enjoy a lower crime rate than the big cities in Texas peopled by brown shirt, fascistic gun owners who need to compensate for their lack of masculinity and have a high crime rate because they are too hostile and aggressive with their guns and the electorate is too stupid to control them .

I'd probably take NYC in that case

Isnt name calling fun?

WildilikejodiefosterAlaska TM
Old September 9, 2007, 09:34 PM   #11
ShootemDown

I hear you all !

I grew up in NYC, all the work is here, and I cant leave..

I do however, have PA and FL CCW permits and take frequent trips out to Philly so I can carry around and feel like an american for a bit..

NYC aint so bad, I get to play with handguns (10rd) at home and shoot them at the range, I got a Ruger 10/22 which cannot have a pistol grip due to the stupid law...

I wonder why a pistol grip is soo evil ? I got pistol grips on all my pistols and revolvers ! but anyway..

Found this one, you guys think this would be OK for NYC ? ( pending I get my hands on that comissioner list )

http://www.kel-tec-cnc.com/su16a.html

Old September 10, 2007, 03:17 AM   #12
ShootemDown

For City of New York: Title 38 of the Rules of the City of New York, § 17-01. Assault Weapons Designated. (a) Pursuant to Subparagraph 7 of Paragraph a of Subdivision 16 of § 10-301 of the New York City Administrative Code, the following makes and models of weapons are determined to be particularly suitable for military and not sporting purposes and are determined to be within the statutory definition of assault weapon as set forth in § 10‑301(16) of the New York City Administrative Code: (1) Models Calico M-900 carbine, Calico M-100 carbine manufactured by American Industries, (2) Models Lightning 25-22, AP-74 manufactured by AMT, (3) Model AR-180 manufactured by Armalite, (4) Model .223 SAC manufactured by Austrian Automatic Arms, (5) Models M-1-SA, 1927-A1-SA manufactured by Auto Ordinance, (6) Model Light 50 82-AL manufactured by Barrett Firearms, (7) Models AR70, BM 59 manufactured by Beretta, (8) Model Assault Rifle manufactured by Bushmaster Firearms, (9) Model SR-88 manufactured by Charter Firearms Industries, (10) Models AR-15 manufactured by Colt, (11) Models MAX-1, MAX-2, K1A1, K2, USAS-12 shotgun manufactured by Daewoo Industries, (12) Models C90, C100, C450 manufactured by DMAX Industries, (13) Model MK-IV carbine manufactured by ENCOM, (14) Models FN-FAL, FN-LAR, FN-FNC manufactured by Fabrique Nationale, (15) Model MAS 223 manufactured by FAMAS, (16) Models AT-9 carbine, AT-22 carbine manufactured by Feather Industries, (17) Models XC-450 AUTO OCARBINE, XC-220, XC-900 manufactured by Federal Engineering Corporation, (18) Models SPAS-12, LAW-12 pump auto shotguns manufactured by Franchi, (19) Model GC HIGH TECH carbine manufactured by Goncz Company, (20) Models HK-91, HK-93, HK-94, PSG-1, G3-SA manufactured by Heckler & Koch, (21) Models UZI-carbine, MINI-UZI carbine, GALIL-ARM, GALIL-AR, GALIL-SAR, GALIL-SNIPER manufactured by Israeli Military Industries, (22) Model PM-30 PARATROOPER manufactured by Iver Johnson, (23) Models AP-74, AP-84, AP-80, AP-85, SPECTRE AUTO carbine manufactured by Mitchell Arms, (24) Models of the Kalashnikov-type semiautomatic, including those manufactured by Norinco (China) and Hungarian Arms, (25) Models NDM-86 SNIPER RIFLE manufactured by Norinco, (26) Model M-14S manufactured by Polytech Industries, (27) Model MINI-14/5F manufactured by Ruger, (28) Models 57-AMT, PE-57, SG550SP, SG551SP manufactured by SIGArms, (29) Model L1A1A manufactured by Small Arms Factory, Australia, (30) Models BM-59, SAR-48, SAR-58, SAR-3, M-1A manufactured by Springfield Armory, (31) Model MK-6 manufactured by Sterling, (32) Model AUG-SA manufactured by Steyer Daimler-Pusch, (33) Models M-76-SA, M-78-SA manufactured by Valmet Corporation, and (34) Model NIGHTHAWK manufactured by Weaver Arms Corporation. Please look in the file library for more information on NYC gun laws.
Old September 10, 2007, 08:07 AM   #13
Manedwolf

I don't see the Saiga on that list?

Quote:
(24) Models of the Kalashnikov-type semiautomatic, including those manufactured by Norinco (China) and Hungarian Arms
...is quite vague, annoyingly so, but RAA deliberately configured the Saiga to be a sporter with no evil features so that it could be sold nearly everywhere. Unless they outlaw the gas piston mechanism of it, it:

- does not take standard 5.56 AK mags without modification
- has no bayonet lug
- has no pistol grip
- has no threaded muzzle
- is limited to 10 rds with Saiga mags

It's a hunting rifle with a Kalashnikov action, but it's pure civilian.
Old September 10, 2007, 08:37 AM   #14
Musketeer

You CAN leave NYC. Commute. Live on Long Island or Westchester. CT or NJ. Whiel the surroundig area is not good it is FAR BETTER than NYC. In NYC you get to live in a closet for several thousand dollars a month. Make your money go further by living elsewhere and live outside a police state.

It is only a matter of time, unless the SCOTUS say differently, before all firearms are banned in NYC and those registration lists are used for confiscation. Look at the last two mayors... do you really see it going any other way if the city government has its way? NYC can already do as it pleases because of the messed up laws in NY. NY permits are not valid in NYC and for a permit holder to go from one county on LI to another upstate, never leaving NY, he must disarm and lock his gun in the trunk.

You don't need to leave your job or your family. You can even still get good food. Just don't LIVE in NYC. If you can't find a way to do that then you really are NOT serious about keeping your 2A rights.

"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." Benjamin Franklin
Old September 10, 2007, 08:47 AM   #15
Davis

Models of the Kalashnikov-type semiautomatic

To me, that would preclude the Saiga because it is a Kalashnikov-type semiautomatic. I would not care to beat that one arguing technicalities before a NYC judge when all a prosecutor would have to do would be to march one of the Saigas modified to AK form and point out how they are the same.

Looks like the Keltec isn't on the list and could qualify.

Davis
Old September 10, 2007, 03:09 PM   #16
mako8551

wow

At least in CA we can have the "fun/ evil stuff" if it is on a rimfire.
Old September 10, 2007, 04:35 PM   #17
ShootemDown

I just dont wanna leave NYC. I hate commuting.

anyway, for the law, thumbhole stocks are not considered pistol grips here in NY arent they ?

in CA law, they list them seperately, such as A) Pistol grip..... then b)Thumbhole stock.....
Old September 10, 2007, 05:49 PM   #18
castnblast

Uhh...lighten up guys...I guess the sarchasm doesn't come across so well... BTW, the crime rate here in CC is very low...I hate big cities...I like to breath air I can't see...
Old September 10, 2007, 08:19 PM   #19
Davis

Ah, and it is nice to go out and see stars...

Davis
Old September 10, 2007, 10:01 PM   #20
shaggy

Hey ShootemDown -

Look into an HK SL8. I think its about as close to an AR as your going to get in NYC. I didn't think it was possible, but the guy who used to live in the apartment above me (Park Slope) came down to show me when he finally got his.
Old September 11, 2007, 06:04 AM   #21
ShootemDown

Wow, that

Sure is something .. but the price tag, your friend must be one rich son of a....

For me its more like this kinda price tag..

Old September 11, 2007, 06:26 AM   #22
boltgun71

How about the Remington 7615,
http://www.remington.com/tactical/ta...ifle_specs.asp
http://www.remington.com/products/fi...7615_specs.asp
Pump action .223 that takes AR/M16 magazines, collapsible stock on the tactical version. Sounds like what you may be looking for.
Old September 11, 2007, 11:38 AM   #23
ShootemDown

I AM GOING TO F-ING CRY !

Now I find out there is a 5 round limit to rifle and shotgun magazines aka ammo feeding devices...

New York City can KISS MY ... ARGGGGHHH !
Old September 11, 2007, 09:45 PM   #24
castnblast

Texas is looking more apealing every day huh...But I agree w/ intruder...PA is definitely not a bad choice...Lots of big deer there too...

Seriously, I was just jerking the chain on my previous comment...I'm not one of those whack-o's you see on the news...at least not yet...
Old September 12, 2007, 02:04 AM   #25
roscoe

.357 lever gun.