The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old October 9, 2008, 08:46 AM   #1
buzz_knox

Source for replacement K-frame barrels?

I've got 4 inch 13s and 19s that I was considering converting to 3 inch. Given the premium these models are getting these days, I thought this might be a cheaper route of obtaining the shorter lengths than purchasing "new to me" ones. Anyone know of a source for the appropriate barrels?
Old October 9, 2008, 06:34 PM   #2
Dfariswheel

Due to popularity, new or even usable 3" S&W barrels are going to be tough to find.
In all likelihood you WON'T find a 3" Model 66 or 19 barrel at all.
Not many guns were made, and spare barrels were even fewer.

If you can find a barrel, you then have the problem of knowing whether it's usable.
Many of the barrels sold on the internet and at gun shows are defective in some way, and you can't always detect the problem until installation is attempted.

Last, barrels are NOT "drop-in" parts.
Installation requires some expensive tooling, including a lathe, a special frame wrench and a special cutter tool that works down the bore.
Getting a barrel on with the front sight aligned is not the end of the job, it's just the start.
Finding a good revolversmith who knows his stuff and can properly install a barrel is also hard to do.

For 3" Model 13 barrels, you can at least try Gun Parts Corporation and Jack First.