The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Closed Thread

Old October 6, 2008, 08:10 AM   #1
plom

bug out bag pistol?

What pistol and how much ammo do you pack in your bug out bag? if you guys have some pics of your BOB guns or BOB contents thanks for the help!
Old October 6, 2008, 08:37 AM   #2
Moe Howard

Right now my S&W Sigma 9mm is in my BOB but I may move my Mil-Spec to it as I am thinking about moving the Sigma to the car. I don't have a pic of my BOB right now but I keep a few MREs in it, bottled water, change of cloths, poncho, Advil, small hunting knife, flashlight, batteries, Leatherman, cash, 1 box of ammo, binoculars, extra sunglasses and prescription glasses. My wife keeps her own BOB but we keep stuff for our son in both bags.
Old October 6, 2008, 08:41 AM   #3
Superhouse 15

My bag

I keep sets of three Glock 19 magazines and a 50 round MTM box of ammo together. I color code them using colored base pads on the magazines and a colored sticker on the box. Most of the ammo is stuff I got a deal on, some XTP TAP, some Gold Dots in the bulk packages, some Winchester USA JHPs. filling three magazines gives me 45 rounds with 5 left over. I also have a Ruger MKII GTM in an old foam lined pistol box with a couple of boxes of ammo, an Otis cleaning kit, and like 10 or 12 loaded magazines. Great for a grab-and-go kit. I can hit anything from 1 to 100 yards and carry a couple hundred rounds of ammo along.

MTM, I use the "p50-9m" with the attached lid.
http://www.mtmcase-gard.com/products...mmo_boxes.html
Old October 6, 2008, 08:52 AM   #4
scottycoyote

glock 22 with 3 15 rd mags
Old October 6, 2008, 12:29 PM   #5
ChewToy

This is an interesting concept, that I never really thought of until reading this post. Mine would be the Glock 23, the most all around pistol I own.

That's about as far as I have thought about this.
Old October 6, 2008, 12:56 PM   #6
GPossenti

I have an XD45C with 3 hi-cap mags full plus the 1 compact mag. My wife has her XD9SC with two hi-caps and the compact mag. We each have about 100+ extra rounds in our bug out bags. The guns are always near us on bedside tables at night (no kids). Being in an open carry state, our guns go on our hips when we have to "bug out".
Old October 6, 2008, 01:23 PM   #7
Superhouse 15

Thoughts

Some thoughts. First, open carry is fine after some kind of disaster (here in FL, we think hurricanes). Sure will keep the looters and riff-raff away, but what if you must go to a shelter? They do not permit firearms and have armed LEO to enforce it. Around here they use corrections officers with 4046 S&W pistols (loaded with range reloads, but that's another story) Might be nice to have something that could be carried with discretion. A medium or small handgun and a good holster will go alot farther than an 870 or AR, or a full size 1911 hi cap. Especially if all the power for the AC is out. Second, if it is truly the end of civilization around you, might be time to consider what the local PD or SO carry. If you had to beg, barter, or borrow some ammo or a magazine from a well wishing LEO it would be nice if it was something you could use. Third, You can get a full set of spare parts for your Glock for about 10 bucks and you can fix anything in a water filled ditch by candle light with a broken bic pen if you have to. Break a spring in your P7.......

And as a last thought we all know the time to prepare is now, not when the rest of the sheep are raiding the Wal Mart for gas cans and tuna fish. This includes reviewing those Yuotube videos on how to fix the guns, learning some first aid stuff, a bit about fire extinguishers, etc.
Old October 6, 2008, 01:27 PM   #8
Un_lucky

My BOB has a ruger mkII 100rnds ammo also 50 rnds for normal carry gun.
Old October 18, 2008, 03:20 PM   #9
ballardw

The closest I have is my range bag with 2 1911 pattern .45s with 10 magazines loaded and an additional 50 round box. And I've been considering adding another 50.
Old October 18, 2008, 06:11 PM   #10
FyredUp

My bug out bag is my house. I am not going anywhere. The property is defensible against looters and my dog is an excellent alarm system, as well as a front line of defense.

I live on 14 acres where I grow part of my own food. I can hunt small game if I need to. By this time next year I will be well into raising chickens, maybe have a head or 2 of cattle, a woodboiler to heat my house and shop, a generator for any power outages and enough food stockpiled to last for months.

Are the bug out people city dwellers expecting a collapse of society or an invasion?
Old October 18, 2008, 06:29 PM   #11
grymster2007

Quote:
Are the bug out people city dwellers expecting a collapse of society or an invasion?
My house is pretty well defensible.... 'cept won't make much sense to defend the smoldering pile of rubble after the 8.5 shake n bake that's coming sooner or later. I'll be buggin' out then.
Old October 18, 2008, 08:44 PM   #12
FyredUp

Then why stay? Sell now while it still has some value and get to a safer location. I am amazed at people who stay in earth quake fault areas, or build their homes over and over and over in areas that burn year after year, or on hillsides that collapse and take their homes with.
Old October 18, 2008, 08:55 PM   #13
MrNiceGuy

mine would be my range bag

i have my beretta px4 9mm with 4 mags, each loaded with 17rounds of fmj
then i have 50rnd case of various jhp's. 20 black talons, 20 GDHP's, and 10 federal hydra shocks. i also have my TLR-2 laster/tact light combo, my galco holster, and my range card

i have a duffel bag i keep in the closet that has a first aid kit, a few mre's, change of clothes, blanket, wind up radio, maglight with extra batteries, candles and matches.... but no gun
Old October 18, 2008, 09:02 PM   #14
Playboypenguin

I do not really have a BOB but I do have a survival bad just in case I am ever stranded anywhere. This pic shows most of the items I have in it. I also have a first-aid bag with it with medical supplies and food/water.

The SP101 is not in it anymore. The gun I keep with the bag (actually in a safe in the truck next to the bag) is a Springfield XD-45acp in OD green with stainless slide (along with 100 rounds of ammo).

Old October 18, 2008, 09:14 PM   #15
NormOps

Glock 21SF, three 13 round mags, secondary bag Ruger Security Six, about fory rounds in pouch.
Old October 18, 2008, 09:25 PM   #16
salvadore

pb&j, snickers bar, bottle of dewers and a fostoria tumbler. You guys must bug out for a difference reason than me.
Old October 18, 2008, 09:52 PM   #17
scoutleader

That is the nice thing about being an assistant scoutmaster and an avid fly fisherman. I have a tent, and a setup like what PBP has, I keep one in both of the vehicles. Also have two fly rods in both as well as first aid kits. You never know when you will come across a trout stream that needs to be fished so be prepared as I tell my wife. On the way out of the house I will grab the 30-30, 22 survival rifle and my 45. I have an ammo box for all and a hand loader with dies for the rifle and the 45. My daughter is home schooled due to a high IQ and a poor school system. We bug out just for fun when I can get away from work for a few days, we like to see how fast we can get out of the city.
Old October 18, 2008, 10:11 PM   #18
dabigguns357

Actually i have 2 that i keep in with a 3 day pack.I just bought a 4046 .40 cal S&W with 3 11 clips and a snubbie .357 with 3 speed loaders full of .357 ammo.My wife even has a snubbie .357 in her pack with 2 speed loaders full.

Old October 18, 2008, 10:52 PM   #19
Smaug

I don't have a bug out bag.

I can't think of a situation in which I'd bug out of my own home.

There's only one way out of the building without jumping off a 2nd story balcony, and if I needed to bug out, I'd have to go that way. If I'm going to have to fight my way down (my wife wouldn't jump off the balcony) I'd rather just hole up & defend us in the house.

Maybe it is different for those in an urban environment, but what place would be safer than one's own home?

"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength."
- Eric Hoffer
Old October 19, 2008, 03:36 PM   #20
grymster2007

Quote:
Then why stay? Sell now while it still has some value and get to a safer location. I am amazed at people who stay in earth quake fault areas, or build their homes over and over and over in areas that burn year after year, or on hillsides that collapse and take their homes with.
You're taking a risk regardless where you live. We're all at risk of being hit by a rock screaming in from outer space. So do we live in concrete bunkers? No; we calculate the risk and roll the dice. My parents brought us here when we were very young. My job is here, my kids and other family are here, I live in a nice home in a very nice neighborhood. I'll take my chances, thanks.
Old October 19, 2008, 03:50 PM   #21
Creature

I can see "bugging out" from the south eastern coastal regions (hurricanes & storm surge), the south west (fires) or in the pacific northwest (volcanic eruptions & tsunami).

But my bag would only consist of cash, a road map, my car keys, a thumb drive w/ important info, maybe some toilet paper...and ammo for my pistol.
Old October 19, 2008, 04:35 PM   #22
MrNiceGuy

Quote:
You're taking a risk regardless where you live. We're all at risk of being hit by a rock screaming in from outer space. So do we live in concrete bunkers? No; we calculate the risk and roll the dice. My parents brought us here when we were very young. My job is here, my kids and other family are here, I live in a nice home in a very nice neighborhood. I'll take my chances, thanks.
but some take a bigger risk than others.
natural disasters hit my area every few thousand years, and their usually relatively minor

your post reads like the ones i was reading out of new orleans right before katrina lol

people sleeping at home in their beds are still at risk of being hit by a car, but you're dancing in the proverbial freeway

keep some hard hats in that BOB of yours
Old October 20, 2008, 12:27 PM   #23
ƒORTE

Quote:
My bug out bag is my house. I am not going anywhere. The property is defensible against looters and my dog is an excellent alarm system, as well as a front line of defense.

Yeah seriously...with the exception of mother nature's victims, who has actually used their BOB?

Like a few have stated I keep survival gear(gun included) in the car for if/when stranded. Some of you guys watch too much TV.

Last edited by ƒORTE; October 20, 2008 at 06:45 PM.
Old October 20, 2008, 12:33 PM   #24
Playboypenguin

I think a lot of people are missing the best use of a BOB type set up. It is not for when you have to flee your home but for when you are already out and about. It would be wise to look at them as "survival bags" and not "bug out bags."

I do not know about the rest of you but I leave my home regularly. In the event of car troubles, getting lost, a washed out road, natural disaster, or societal trouble there is not guarantee I will be able to return home right away. The contents of my bag are to keep me going until I can get home. That is why I keep it in my vehicle.
Old October 20, 2008, 12:42 PM   #25
David Armstrong

Quote:
My BOB has a ruger mkII 100rnds ammo also 50 rnds for normal carry gun.
We have a winner, IMO. If you are grabbing the BOB, your concern is not for a fighting pistol, it is more for a survival gun, and a good Ruger .22 is hard to beat. Your fighting gun will be your rifle or shotgun, the .22 for small game, quiet use, etc. Most folks are far more likely to need the BOB gun for shooting little critters than people.
Closed Thread