The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 9, 2009, 08:02 PM   #1
POGO57

Help solve a mystery

I'm really hoping that some will read this post and once they stop laughing will clear up a mystery for me. You may just solve my sanity!

W-W Brass for .223 Remington
Case Wall thickness: .012"-.013"

I'm trying to get .003" neck tension for an AR. (Don't shudder benchresters, please!)

Ran a batch through a Redding FL bushing die with a .246 bushing.

When I went to seat the bullets, most case necks were tight but a few the bullet just slipped right through with no grip at all.

I then re-checked case wall thickness, id and od and using my gauges found no difference between the cases that were snug and the ones that the bullets slipped through.

Head scratching began.

I then ran the troublesome cases through a set of Lee dies that I know have a very small expander and now all the necks were snug when I placed a bullet into them.

Ok that made sense...sort of.

I then ran these cases back through the Redding die with no adjustments made what soever, other than removing and putting back the die itself.

Lo and behold the necks now don't let a bullet slip through!

Real head scratching began!

I measured once again and could tell no difference from what they were the first time.

I'm using a tube micrometer and a combo gauge set up from RCBS.

All help appreciated.

Thanks!
Old November 9, 2009, 08:44 PM   #2
steve4102

Quote:
Ran a batch through a Redding FL bushing die with a .246 bushing.
Are you using the expander button with the bushing die? If so, you may want to remove it. Using a bushing die to set the desired neck diameter then dragging the expander through is counter productive.

How many times has this brass been fired? Brass that has been reloaded several times can become work hardened resulting in excessive spring back.