The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 5, 2009, 04:32 PM   #1
Krieger9

Lee Trimmer adjustment

Can't find the post from yesterday but it was mentioned about adjusting the length on the trimmer.

I'd discounted this idea because mine turns fairly loosely / easily and with the tight fit I don't think it would stay in position.

Am I missing something to secure it in the position once I find it, or are people using something like a lock-tite, or am I just over estimating the friction?

Odd.

Also I unscrewed mine for the first time in awhile and found some shavings up there. Is that usual?

Voluntary release of ignorance.
Old November 5, 2009, 05:59 PM   #2
res45

Use a small screwdriver and gently spread the threaded end of the case length gage it should fit tighter now. If necessary you can use a pair of pliers with the jaws taped up to help screw it on tight once you get it started.
Old November 6, 2009, 01:18 PM   #3
farmall

I always find the Lee trimmers to cut to a length about halfway between min and max. I run the stud in tightly, then, by trial and error, grind the tip to trim to the min length. Never saw the point in trimming to anyother dimension, unless you enjoy trimming.:barf:

Andy
Old November 6, 2009, 02:48 PM   #4
snuffy

The lee trimmers pretty much are set at whatever length they're made at. Usually that's to the minimum trim-to-length for whatever cartridge it's made for. You CAN make them cut shorter by grinding down the pilot tip. Once shortened, you're stuck with it. The only reason to do that is to trim shorter than minimum trim length.

Why on earth would you WANT to make it trim longer than max length?

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old November 6, 2009, 03:25 PM   #5
farmall

Quote:
Why on earth would you WANT to make it trim longer than max length?
Only reason I can think of is to use the trimmer stud on some non-standard cases.

Do you guys use the Zip-Trim spindle, or the little spud with the threaded on shell holders" I'm partial to the Zip Trim spindle, used in a cordless drill.

Andy
Old November 6, 2009, 03:26 PM   #6
Krieger9

Reference

This was in reference to an earlier posting where someone was talking about their trimmer being short and the advice by the masses on that post was to adjust it to the exact measurement.

You guys are talking more what my understanding was.

Funny how the little things...

Thanks gentlemen.
Old November 6, 2009, 03:28 PM   #7
Krieger9

P.S.

I use the case holder with the trill fix attachment and the wooden ball trimmer.

I'm curious what the upgrade of a zip trim would be? I would love to make trimming smoother, but not sure what I'd be buying. Is it more than a drill replacement?
Old November 6, 2009, 03:42 PM   #8
farmall

It's a little 3 jawed chuck, used on the zip trim tool. 1 size fits all (well, pretty much all) case heads. You have tbuy a seperate spindle to use it in a drill. Total cost for chuck and spindle @ $15. I really like it! I, too use the ball ended cutter.....minimizes sore hands.

Andy
Old November 9, 2009, 03:47 PM   #9
stacks04

that was my post, and with my length gauge screwed all the way in it was cutting it shorter than the min length. i have since fixed it by adjusting how far it was turned in. it was only a matter of 1/2 turn or so. not major adjustments. maybe i just tightened it to much.