The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old November 25, 2012, 06:06 PM   #1
Resq

New Pistol Shooter

So this past week my wife received her pistol license after 9 months of waiting. Here in NY, on Long Island that's the norm. I basically had her apply for the simple principle of none of my friends have a pistol permit and if anything was to happen to me all my pistols would have to be forfeited to the police precinct. She understood my outlook with all the money I had invested. So when she received the permit she asked "When are we going out shooting?" In the past i have brought her out to the range and she used my bolt action .22lr. So when she showed interest I figured time for a new pistol to the family. I always wanted a .22lr. I didn't want to scar her with my 9mm, .357 mag, or .45ACP. So off i went to the store and purchased a new Browning Buck Mark 5.5 inch bull barrel. This weekend I brought her out to the range, I wanted her to "know" how to use them and what to expect from it. Even though she knew the basics, when you actually fire one its much different. After approx 200 rounds of .22, Now I think I created a monster, which isn't a bad thing, it's nice to enjoy a sport together with her. However she is anxiously awaiting the next trip to the range. One thing that made me proud is she did extremely well on the target and even fired 7 rounds out of my S&W 686 of 38 special.

Just needed to vent out. Can't vent out too much to others around here, some are not into it, or are against it. Or even yet some don't even know I have them, as in my and her parents-they are really against it. Hopefully within time I can turn them, they have accepted the rifles.
Old November 25, 2012, 08:03 PM   #2
OldShooter

Similar story; lady friend didn't want to see guns, talk about guns, go to the range. So she was getting left behind. Finally she agreed to go although she didn't think she'd shoot. That didn't last long. I brought the 22's, in rifle and handguns. She turned to be a good shot and isn't it amazing how much they will enjoy shooting when they are knocking down targets or aerating bullseyes. She owns a Ruger MkII, has shot many of my larger calibers including the 1911 last time out. She is anxious for another range trip.
Old November 25, 2012, 08:09 PM   #3
DaleA

Quote:
-all my pistols would have to be forfeited to the police precinct.
I've always heard things in NY were bad but this is outrageous.

Very nice choice for a .22 pistol. IMhO there is no better 'plinker' than a Browning Buckmark. (But a Ruger Mark II is just as good.)
Old November 26, 2012, 05:16 PM   #4
ltc444

If you really want to get her excited, take her down to the store and have her pick out her own gun. It will do a number of things.

1. She will get a gun that fits her.
2. It will giver her pride of ownership.
3. Since she owns the gun she will want to shoot it.

My wife tolerated my shooting until she got her Ruger MKII with fixed sites and thin barrel. Frankly I don't like the Ruger MK IIs. They don't fit me but the little pistol which she bought from a neighbor suits her perfectly.

Now she bugs me to shoot regularly. She has even shown interest in appropriating my AR15. Hope she does because I want an AR 10.