The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old June 16, 2012, 02:39 PM   #1
LEPARD90

Need to know more about these

My great grandfather in law pulled his gun collection out the other day and wanted to know if I knew anything about these three guns of his. I am an idiot for not taking pictures of any of the guns but I took pictures of all the proof marks and serial numbers. Any information on these guns would be greatly appreciated. The first gun is a double barrel shotgun marked Mears Arms Co.
and in the middle of the barrels its marked laminated steel belgium. The second gun is marked M95. At first I thought it was a bolt action but he showed me the bolt just pulls back horizontally. The third gun is a 410 shotgun

Old June 16, 2012, 02:59 PM   #2
Scimmia

Quote:
The second gun is marked M95. At first I thought it was a bolt action but he showed me the bolt just pulls back horizontally.
Well, I'll take the easy one. The Steyr M95 is a straight pull bolt action rifle originally made for the Austrio-Hungarian Empire before and durring WWI. In the 1930s, they were taken back in, rechambered for 8x56R, andlong rifles were shortened to carbines. There should be an "S" stamped on the barrel shank, you may be able to see the original date of manufacturer under this stamp. Currently selling for ~$130.
Old June 16, 2012, 08:30 PM   #3
James K
Member In Memoriam

The first gun is a Belgian-made 12 gauge shotgun; Mears was the importer/distributor and according to one source was active around 1900. The term "laminated steel" indicates that the barrels were built up, not solid. I strongly recommend that it not be fired.

Jim
Old June 18, 2012, 07:55 PM   #4
PetahW

And last but not least is a .410 Savage/Stevens Model 94C break-open single-shot hammer shotgun.

If it was made between 1949-70, there should be a Savage Date Code letter stamped within a circle into the bottom of the action and/or barrel (unhook it & inspect the bottom) - starting with "A" in 1949, running to "X" in 1970.

Old June 18, 2012, 08:25 PM   #5
tahunua001

the second it a steyr 1895 chambered in 8mm mannlicher. steyr M95s are still being imported by century arms... if it wasn't for impossible to find ammo I would get one in a heartbeat to add to the ole collection.