The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old October 8, 2011, 04:32 AM   #51
armsmaster270

Youngunz: you are kinda right. Some courts have held that C.G are covered by HR218, however if you are carrying and another L.E. feels you are wrong and arrests you and the court throws it out you still can be shafted by your unit.
Old October 8, 2011, 02:38 PM   #52
tahunua001

sounds like the guy was talking out of the wrong end. I'm active duty and hold a security clearance. I went in to buy a gun and was cleared inside of 5 minutes, my brother went to the same store and waited nearly a week for his BGC to clear...
Old October 9, 2011, 11:00 AM   #53
Mike Irwin
Staff

"My understanding is that a security clearance has as part of its process a full background records check."

No.

The amount of digging that goes into one's background depends greatly on both the agency conducting the investigation AND the clearance level being issued.

A confidential clearance (aka Position of Public Trust) clearance may only involve a finger print and credit history review.

Secret may not be much more invasive than the PPT investigation, or it may come pretty close to the effort carried out for a Top Secret.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old October 9, 2011, 11:07 AM   #54
SHNOMIDO

I have a buddy that was put on some airplane "watch list" when he joined the Marines.

Doesn't make sense to me, doesn't make sense to him either. But apparently its a pretty good pain in the rear when he has to fly around, especially for marine duty.