The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 11, 2010, 02:13 PM   #1
Swindler1

Mixed powders

I had a brain fart and dumped about 8gr of Unique into a 1lb jug of AA7.
Will it be safe to use?
Old February 11, 2010, 02:21 PM   #2
jimkim

To be honest, it's probably safe, but your not supposed to use it now. I would try picking it out? You should be able to spot the Unique. I'd still use it.

Last edited by jimkim; February 11, 2010 at 02:56 PM.
Old February 11, 2010, 02:22 PM   #3
ScottRiqui

If it was a full jug, you've diluted 7000 grains of AA7 with 8 grains of Unique.

I'd imagine that any resulting changes in the performance of the AA7 would probably be within the manufacturing tolerance of the powder to begin with. My advice would be to shake it up real well and use it.
Old February 11, 2010, 04:23 PM   #4
Unclenick
Staff

Unique flakes are big. AA#7 is a spherical. You should be able to separate it easily with a sieve.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old February 11, 2010, 05:33 PM   #5
oneounceload

8 grains into 7000? - The EPA allows higher concentrations of poisons in your drinking water - shake the powder, mix it up, don't worry about it

Last edited by oneounceload; February 12, 2010 at 08:53 AM. Reason: ten thumb typing errors
Old February 11, 2010, 06:57 PM   #6
Sevens

Holy cow, I thought the post said he dumped eight pounds of Unique in to a container with one pound of AA#7.

Yeah, I agree with everyone. You'll never know the difference.
(Ummm, unless you try to use that can as AA#7, then you've got problems! )

Now for the quick, serious, preaching point:
What you did is no small screw up. This time it was only eight grains, that's just about nothing. But you've got to come up with some dead-set rules to keep it from ever happening again. Because if you were to accidentally do it on a larger scale... and worse still, if you weren't actually aware of it, you could put yourself in a situation where your favorite firearm gets grenaded.

This is an easy rule to make and easy to stick to. You have a load bench, make the rule that you put ONE can on it at a time, ever. You never handle more than one powder for any reason. All the powders stay in the powder cache except for the powder you are using. If you have powder in your measure, you must also have that can on your load bench.

Easy rule, and if you stick to it, you'll never mix a powder.
Old February 11, 2010, 07:04 PM   #7
jimkim

I think UncleNick has it. As fine as AA7 is, you can probably use window screen.
Old February 11, 2010, 10:54 PM   #8
Swindler1

Thank you all of you for your replys. I think I will try the window screen thing tomorrow.

My bench is set up with 4 presses with powder drops mounted and labeled and one bench mounted rotory type powder drop I use with any of the powders I have to run off small test batches. That is the only time a jug of powder is sitting on the bench next to the rotory drop so I dont forget what is in it at any given time. The labeled ones are always topped off and the powder put away.

Heres how it happened. The rotory was full of AA7 with the jug sitting behind it. I had been loading 357 magnum. Later today I went to load up a batch of 40 s&w and was using one of the presses with Unique already set up. I keep an old 357 case next to the scale and use it to trickle and had put about 8gr of Unique in it.

Then I broke the one of the RULES, I went to answer the phone. When I came back I decided to use 231 instead of the Unique so I had to use the rotory drop ( remember it has the AA7 in it ). I turned the hopper off, reached up and grabbed the 357 case by the scale and stuck it under the rotory drop to get out the left over AA7.

This is where the brain fart comes into play. When I cycled the rotory to drop into the 357 case it over filled and spilled onto the bench. I held the case steady so not to spill anymore and dumped it into the AA7 jug and put the jug away and got out the 231 ( remember only one jug out at a time ). then it hit me. The 357 case still had the Unique in it I was going to trickle with. Thats why it over flowed. Must remember to always obey the rules. Thanks again.

Last edited by Swindler1; February 11, 2010 at 11:05 PM. Reason: spelling
Old February 12, 2010, 12:03 AM   #9
Randy 1911

How do the burn rates of the two powders differ? If the Unique is slower, you should be safe if you make sure the powder is well mixed.
Old February 12, 2010, 06:28 AM   #10
jimkim

Quote:
How do the burn rates of the two powders differ? If the Unique is slower, you should be safe if you make sure the powder is well mixed.
Unique is a good bit faster. AA7 is close to the same speed as Blue Dot.
Old February 12, 2010, 06:47 AM   #11
sourdough44

8 grains into a 1lb container? Shake up some, don't load max & don't do it again. I'd use it.
Old February 12, 2010, 08:57 AM   #12
oneounceload

It really isn't worth trying to screen it out - remember, the makers blend powders all the time to get to certain performance specs at ratios more concentrated than what you did.

I agree with others - one powder on the bench, in the loader at one time. I have to be really careful because I use both Clays and Universal Clays and everything, including the containers are very similar.

Sometimes it helps to write in big letters on the label what cartridge that powder is for, even if it is used for several.

I have a few cartridges I load very seldom. Having their powder labeled reminds me so I don't grab the wrong one.