The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 10, 2008, 08:44 PM   #1
mikenbarb

Is the Hornady Projector a good press?

I got another question for you all. Sorry to have so many but got alot of things im working on. I am wondering how the Hornady Projector press is? I have an opportunity to get one and not sure if im going to or not. If I do, I would designate it as my pistol and small rifle reloader. Or is this any good for large rifle also? I see its got plates specific for caliber and is this a problem at all or are they good to use.
Old August 10, 2008, 09:28 PM   #2
DEDON45

The Projector is a decent press... Hornady (a few years ago) updated that design into the LnL AP press, which I use now... It depends on how much you can get that press for... you can buy a completely new LnL AP Press, 1 set of dies, and a shell plate ... and with the 1000 bullet rebate offer, the cost (after you subtract what those bullets would have cost you retail) of the setup is around / under $200.00. Mine works fine with Pistol and rifle.
Old August 10, 2008, 09:48 PM   #3
mikenbarb

Dedon, I got the Pro-Jector machine, 5 plates, large and small primer tubes, Hornady powder measure with lg and sm. micrometers, new powder cop, plastic catch tub, 357 & 9mm die sets, and a bunch of spare parts for $50.00! Yes, 50 bucks! I have gotten some good deals lately and this is going to be set up for my 38/357 loads.
Old August 10, 2008, 11:34 PM   #4
Scorch

The ProJector was part of Hornady's progression towards the current Lock N Load press. Hornady came out with the 007, then the ProJector, then another one whose name escapes me, and then the Lock N Load. Most parts are not interchangeable between the presses, but parts are available from Hornady.
Old August 11, 2008, 02:34 AM   #5
Shoney

Very good deal!!!!!!!!! The plates are around $30 each.
I pledge allegiance to the Flag - - -, and to the Republic for which it stands….Our Forefathers were brilliant for giving us a Republic, not a democracy! Do you know the difference??? and WHY?http://www.wallbuilders.com/LIBissue...les.asp?id=111
Old August 11, 2008, 06:48 AM   #6
DEDON45

That is a good deal!
Old August 11, 2008, 08:00 AM   #7
MADISON

The Projector press

The Hornady Projector is an excellent press BUT:
I size and decap on another press.
The priming system sucks. I use an RCBS [Tube system] bench mounted priming system.
Another thing is the alignment of the die to shell plate.
Old August 11, 2008, 09:22 AM   #8
mikenbarb

The shell plate are that expensive??? Im glad I got a few with it.
The powder cop is brand new and its was never used, Does anyone know how good they work and if they are consistent with powder charges? And are the plates consistent with the shell holder numbers that corrospond with them, I have a 16,30,08,06 and 01 shell plates.
Im for the most part going to be hand decaping and priming unless the priming system works good for me. I have found that alot of primer systems suck and dont work good and better off to hand prime my cases with my old Lee hand primer or the 310 hand tool.
Old August 11, 2008, 10:25 PM   #9
Shoney

Here is the Hornady shell plate guide.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf LNLshelPlt.pdf (186.4 KB, 665 views)
I pledge allegiance to the Flag - - -, and to the Republic for which it stands….Our Forefathers were brilliant for giving us a Republic, not a democracy! Do you know the difference??? and WHY?http://www.wallbuilders.com/LIBissue...les.asp?id=111
Old August 11, 2008, 10:26 PM   #10
mikenbarb

Thanks Shoney, I needed that.
Old August 12, 2008, 01:53 PM   #11
DEDON45

In reference to what Madison said; I have heard that the Projector's priming system did leave a bit to be desired (finicky); I also understand that the LnL AP uses a new design priming system... I know the priming system on my LnL is probably as simple as one could make it, and it works great... not sure what the old Projector system looked like. Can anybody describe the differences, I'm just curious.
Old August 12, 2008, 02:08 PM   #12
mikenbarb

Im wondering if they can interchange?
Old August 12, 2008, 09:09 PM   #13
BigJakeJ1s

The current priming system on the LNL is not backwards compatible with Projector or 007 presses. It is available as an upgrade for early LNL AP models.

Andy
Old November 4, 2011, 11:14 PM   #14
daileyservices

Hornady Projector

A good press, BUT... The auto-powder drop didn't have an auto-shutoff, and I found myself with lots of nitrate fertilizer on my shellplates when I decided to backtrack for whatever reason or another. I just took mine out of storage,and although NOTHING was touched on it, and it worked perfectly when put away, it will now, not advance properly, and two setscrew adjustments which I'm sure are out of adjustment are simply covered with "THESE ARE SET AT THE FACTORY, SO DON'T MESS WITH THEM"... essentially.

In retrospect, I should have stayed with a single stage... that or a DILLON for auto-progressive. Still, they're built like a bloody tank, and if they don't get out of adjustment, outstanding.

TC - Denver
Old November 5, 2011, 07:25 AM   #15
MADISON

I have using a Hornady Projector since 1989 and am well pleased with it.
Old November 5, 2011, 10:16 AM   #16
Charlie98

I bought my ProJector in 1992 and have been happily cranking out rounds ever since. Yes, the primer mech is a little weak, but once you get it set right, it gives little problem. My big deal on the PJ was that it has 5 stations... so you can include a powder check die or, in my case, a taper crimp without having to double-up or use a powder-thru-expander die.

The newest version of the LnL is all new, parts do not interchange, including the shell plates. You can find used shellplates sometimes online or at gunshows, or just pay the man and buy them new.

There are some little tuning tricks to the PJ, if you are mechanically inclined, you should be able to look at how it works and make your own improvements.
Old November 5, 2011, 10:30 AM   #17
Charlie98

Quote:
... not sure what the old Projector system looked like. Can anybody describe the differences, I'm just curious.
On the upward stroke of the ram, a metal rod cams the primer arm under the primer tube, moving a metal retainer clip out of the way and allowing a primer to drop out of the tube. As the ram starts down, the primer arm swings away, lets the clip go back under the primer stack, swings into position under the shell plate and seats the primer at ram bottom.

Two issues with the PJ primer mech... well, actually three... 2 are related.

First, is getting grit or a chunk of tumbling media on the primer arm seat; it will tip the primer (and dent the primer upon seating,) or not allow the primer to fully drop from the primer tube. Because the return of the primer arm is made by a spring, if the tube jams a primer, the arm just gets stuck (and doesn't dump primers all over the floor.)

Second and Third is getting the primer arm and the primer tube settings correct. There is an adjustment on the primer arm for primer seat depth, it needs to be adjusted so as not to over- or under-seat the primer. And the primer tube mount bracket needs to be adjusted so when the primer arm cams over, it positions itself exactly under the primer tube when it stops. A bit of misalignment and it won't capture the new primer.

All of these things are adjustable... I adjusted mine and I haven't touched it in almost 20 years. Finicky? A little. ...but nothing a little time and attention won't fix.

Also, if you are getting a used unit, first thing I would do would be to break down the linkage and clean and lube it (I use Tetra on mine) and keep the ram lightly lubed. You also have to watch how much you torque the shellplate bolt down. Too much and the plate won't rotate enough, not enough and the plate will lift or 'snap' when you start down on the ram.
Old November 19, 2011, 01:31 AM   #18
daileyservices

Hornady ProJector

Two VERY IMPORTANT things to do before operating or setting up the ProJector. If the press has been sitting for quite a while, OR subjected to alternate HEAT and COLD, be sure to free up the advancing pawls (chisel shaped projections on the bottom) with TriFlo or other lubricant. THESE ARE SPRING LOADED and if they're not free - the press WILL NOT advance correctly. Another source of problems that you'd never guess, is the primer-carrier arm; it swings to and fro, and if the lubricant had ALSO gotten thick or hardened, the arm will NOT operate freely, and you'll wonder why the shell plate is not advancing properly - once again... use TriFlo or another high film-strength lubricant on the pivot point of the arm AND on the operating "angle" of the actuator "knife"... Use it sparingly and wipe off extra.

Tom
Old November 20, 2011, 10:27 AM   #19
Longdayjake

One very important thing to notice before you waste a bunch of time replying to this thread. IT IS THREE YEARS OLD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old November 20, 2011, 09:52 PM   #20
Charlie98

Quote:
One very important thing to notice before you waste a bunch of time replying to this thread. IT IS THREE YEARS OLD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Nonsense! It's never too late to talk about a kick-arse press like the Hornady!

...I just loaded up 400 .380's on mine this evening.