The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 5, 2012, 02:15 PM   #1
lee n. field

Lee Pro 1000 roller handle upgrade

{Edit. Copyrighted image deleted. Please read the TFL copyrighted material policy.}

The upgrade to the new style lever on the Lee Pro 1000 -- anyone tried it? Worth getting? Lee's and Midway's verbiage.

(This is kind of a focused question. This is the progressive I've got, I get good use out of it, and I'm not interested in hearing about how "the Pro 1000 sucks" and I should get X other press.)
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "

Last edited by Unclenick; April 5, 2012 at 03:47 PM.
Old April 5, 2012, 06:22 PM   #2
Jimro

I have a Pro1000 I use for 223, but I don't go fast enough to need this upgrade. If I were loading a pistol caliber I could see how it would be very useful.

Jimro
Old April 5, 2012, 06:31 PM   #3
markr

I got the roller handle directly from Lee for $20 and put it on my Classic Turret. All the places that sell that handle have a disclaimer saying that the handle won't work on Cllassic presses. I don't know why, cause I slapped that sucker right on there and it works.

Washed up 11B1P
Old April 5, 2012, 06:39 PM   #4
markr

I did this:
http://leeprecision.net/support/inde...series-presses

I ordered the lever sleeve as suggested, but it was not neccessary because it was the same sleeve that was already on the press. I'm still baffled as to why it "Doesn't work" on Classic presses, because it "Works". And I like it.

Washed up 11B1P
Old April 5, 2012, 07:58 PM   #5
ScottRiqui

Quote:
I ordered the lever sleeve as suggested, but it was not neccessary because it was the same sleeve that was already on the press. I'm still baffled as to why it "Doesn't work" on Classic presses, because it "Works". And I like it.
Are you using the Lee Safety Prime system on your LCT? How about an Auto-Disk measure with a riser? I'm just trying to figure out if there's some possible configuration of the LCT where the roller handle might interfere with something.
Old April 5, 2012, 08:33 PM   #6
markr

Yep, I got it all on there. No interference. It occupies the same space as the standard handle.

Washed up 11B1P
Old April 5, 2012, 09:07 PM   #7
Vance

It might have to do with the vintage of your machine. Newer models of the "classic" presses may not need the modified lever sleeve as they already have them?
Old April 6, 2012, 01:45 PM   #8
markr

Who knows. My press is new. The shaft of the roller handle is a smaller diameter than the original handle. Other than that, both handles are the same height, and are bent slightly in the same place to avoid interference. After market models cost 2 or 3 times as much. It was only 20 bucks from the Lee site, and usually their prices are way higher.

Washed up 11B1P
Old April 6, 2012, 05:24 PM   #9
lee n. field

Thanks all, for the comments. I've gone ahead and ordered the part. We shall see.

Quote:
After market models cost 2 or 3 times as much.
I was unaware that there were any aftermarket options for the Pro 1000.

Quote:
20 bucks from the Lee site
I'm seeing $30 at Lee, less at other vendors.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old April 6, 2012, 07:37 PM   #10
Vance

The one for $30 at Lee is a roller handle upgrade kit that includes some other parts. There is just a roller handle. I believe I saw it listed at Cheaperthandirt for $15.
Old April 6, 2012, 11:12 PM   #11
markr

The handle all by itself for $20 is what I am talking about, and the Lever Sleeve I didn't need was $4. I beleive what you are looking at for $30 is the Lever, including linkage for the press. The after market roller handles I found where for Classic Turret, I know this post was originally about a roller for the Pro1000.

Washed up 11B1P