The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 3, 2011, 11:27 AM   #26
Sevens

I had not heard of anyone named Lew Curtis until I ran a google search on Lew Curtis, and only then, by attaching "9mm" to the search. It seems that he's a cartridge collector, especially with regards to 9mm.

I wonder then... what is Lew Curtis' opinion of A-Merc brass in comparison with, say, anyone boxer-primed and reloadable brass ever produced by anyone?
Quote:
Trade secrets and proprietary information make it difficult to say with any certainty where a particular case was manufactured, which alloy they used and which process was used.
For me, it's not the facility where it was birthed, it's not the bankroll or the name behind it, it's not the process or the tooling that produced it and it's not the alloy or witches brew of metals that was stirred together to make it.

It's the simple attention to detail and wild dimensions in the end product that set A-Merc brass apart from all the rest.

If I were a representative from the Olin Corp, I'd consider anyone that claims A-Merc is my product to be defaming my operation.
Old November 3, 2011, 01:55 PM   #27
lll Otto lll

A-Merc = American Ammunition Inc. , Miami Florida.

Fortunately, they're out of business so the scourge of their brass and ammunition is over. Their web address is for sale, phone calls goes unanswered and the plant appears abandoned. They had racked-up losses into the millions as far back as 2004 when they went on an acquisition buying spree and the red ink never stopped. There are reports of KBs with their ammo but who knows, see link.
http://www.thegunzone.com/glock/g21kb4.html#nb1

Old November 3, 2011, 08:29 PM   #28
drmarkwg

Quote:
Fortunately, they're out of business so the scourge of their brass and ammunition is over.
I found this site on the companies history in their own words informative as well..http://www.afte.org/ExamResources/ga..._MERC.jpg.html

Here is what I gather from this article written I believe in 2001. Early on they were using components manufactured by other companies. "AA began as an assembler and re-loader of ammunition". I believe that the cases I included were early stuff made by Olin and that may explain why they performed similarly to the Winchester cases tested. By the 2001 date in this article they were making their own cases from "raw brass billets". Clearly creating their own components that accounted for 90% of the final product led to severe problems by the mid 2000's. And as you point out they are out of business. It is difficult to find reliable factual information on these specific A-Merc cases, but that is my best information to date.
Old November 3, 2011, 09:16 PM   #29
mrawesome22

I am envisioning that plant full of Cuban workers pumping out the most craptastic brass ever produced.

Tags
9mm brass , brass inspection , reloading , reloading data