The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old December 13, 2008, 10:36 AM   #1
NRAhab

How to reduce recoil with your grip

As explained by Todd Jarrett, starting at about 28 seconds in this video; he goes through the fundamentals of one of the methods for gripping your pistol. Used in conjunction with the combat isosceles stance, this is the grip used by the top professional shooters.

Watch the video here.

One of the most useful tidbits from the video is where he draws on his student's hands after he sets them into the proper grip on the pistol, so that during practice with a quick visual check you can look down at your hands and make sure that you're on the gun correctly.
Old December 13, 2008, 10:47 AM   #2
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

That's good stuff.

That would freak me out with that gun pointed at me. I'd be checking it every 2 seconds. "Man, you sure that things empty?" "Really sure?" I guess I'm paranoid.
Old December 13, 2008, 11:35 AM   #3
NRAhab

I'd imagine that it would make anyone a little bit nervous. Also, one of the things that got cut out of the video was the instruction on the retention position you see Todd shooting from during the introduction.
Old December 13, 2008, 12:06 PM   #4
Creature

Blackwater USA is very good about range safety and redundancy checks of a truly "cold range".
Old December 13, 2008, 03:49 PM   #5
NRAhab

They were, and so was Todd Jarrett. Off camera there is a lot of "show me an empty gun" going on.

I still can't get over how effective that trick with the marker is though - I would have never have thought that something as inexpensive as a sharpie would end up being one of the most valuable training aids I own.
Old December 14, 2008, 03:20 AM   #6
chris in va

I'll have to try that at the range next time.
Old December 14, 2008, 06:42 PM   #7
woodsman1st

NRAhab; thankyou for the great video; it's exactly what i was asking for on my previous post. I have already learned much from it.

I tried to download it to my desktop, so I could watch it and refer back to it in weeks or months to come. I got it downloaded to my desktop ok; but it wont allow me to watch it from there. Is there a special way of downloading it for future viewing, or is this intentional for some reason?

If you could tell me how to do it I would really appreciate it. Either way thanks for going to the trouble of posting it for viewing.

Regards
Ken
Old December 15, 2008, 08:05 AM   #8
NRAhab

I wouldn't know how to download it, since it's copyrighted material from DownRange.tv - I do have a DVD of it which I'll see if I can't get permission from the owners to copy parts of and upload.