The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 10, 2008, 08:42 PM   #1
Mastiff

Bullet casting questions

I want to start casting 158 grain Round Nosed bullets for 9x23 Winchester. I was looking at casting blocks and the prices I find are wildly different. They range from $20 to over a hundred. Can anyone tell me what the differences are? Which way would you go if you were on a fixed income?
I have a Hornady Projector, and a 9mm/38 die set.
What are the facts? Again and again and again—what are the facts? —what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your single clue. Get the facts! -Robert A Heinlein
Old July 10, 2008, 09:39 PM   #2
armedandsafe

I have cast a lot of bullets with the Lee molds and find them very good. If you control the temperature of your lead and keep the molds hot, you will get good results. I have a couple of iron molds and have a little more trouble with them. I suspect that is because I very seldom use them and don't handle them properly. I would recommend getting a copy of the Lyman manual on casting and read it a couple of times.

Pops

If it time to bury them, it is time to dig them up.
Remember, "Behind every blade of grass."
Old July 10, 2008, 09:42 PM   #3
doug66

I cast for 38/357, 44mag and 45ACP, and use Lee molds. I've had some that didn't work that great, but all in all i've had good luck with them. They are cheap enough to replace if you are not happy with results or you just wear them out.
Old July 10, 2008, 11:56 PM   #4
Mastiff

Thanks for the help, guys. I appreciate it!
What are the facts? Again and again and again—what are the facts? —what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your single clue. Get the facts! -Robert A Heinlein
Old July 11, 2008, 10:17 AM   #5
crowbeaner

Try the guys at www.castboolits/gunloads.com. They have all the knowledge and answers you seek. I post there also. CB.
Old July 14, 2008, 03:16 PM   #6
ForneyRider

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/

Lee stuff is ~20 bucks and works pretty good. It is aluminum so will wear out more quickly than a iron one.
Old July 14, 2008, 03:47 PM   #7
Hawg

Quote:
Lee stuff is ~20 bucks and works pretty good. It is aluminum so will wear out more quickly than a iron one.
Most of my molds are Lee. I've got one that's 39 years old and isn't worn out yet.
Old July 14, 2008, 03:54 PM   #8
LHB1

Guess I am on the other side of this question. I prefer high quality, precision molds (especially Hensley & Gibbs) and have used them since 1964. Unfortunately for us, Wayne Gibbs retired a few years back and these molds are no longer available. Have also used RCBS and SAECO molds with good success. Have one Lyman mold from 1964 that is still good but two newer Lyman molds both rusted so much after just ONE use that they were trashed. Lyman replaced the first one free but when the second one also rusted, I didn't bother asking for another.
Old July 14, 2008, 08:08 PM   #9
Hawg

I've got two Lyman molds. One for .58 Minies and one for 255 gr. Keith .45 ACP. I've had the minie ball mold for about ten years and it's never rusted. had the .45 mold for two months or so and no signs of rust on it either. You do need to oil down steel molds after use ya know.
Old July 14, 2008, 11:45 PM   #10
LHB1

Quote: "I've got two Lyman molds. One for .58 Minies and one for 255 gr. Keith .45 ACP. I've had the minie ball mold for about ten years and it's never rusted. had the .45 mold for two months or so and no signs of rust on it either. You do need to oil down steel molds after use ya know."

All my steel molds are wiped off with a cloth dampened with rust preventive and then stored in an airtight, sealed box with rubber seal gaskets and spring loaded clamps. Inside of box is heavily layered with special dessicant that will absorb any moisture trapped inside. Have used that method since 1964. It is just odd to me that the only molds I ever had rust problems with were the two newer Lyman molds. The older Lyman mold plus the RCBS, SAECO, and Hensley & Gibbs molds are all fine. Beats me.
Old July 15, 2008, 06:46 AM   #11
Hawg

Quote:
All my steel molds are wiped off with a cloth dampened with rust preventive and then stored in an airtight, sealed box with rubber seal gaskets and spring loaded clamps. Inside of box is heavily layered with special dessicant that will absorb any moisture trapped inside.
Now that is strange. I just spray mine down with Remoil and put them on a shelf, no box or anything.