The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old May 17, 2005, 10:30 AM   #51
gb_in_ga

"While many folks think that the first rule of a gun fight is to have a gun, but in reality the first rule of a gun fight should be to NOT get shot!"

Right. Actually, there's a corollary to that:

And, if it turns out that you are going to get shot anyway, arrange it so that the shot does as little damage as possible.

The first, main point here is survival. It is better to not get shot at all. If you do end up in a situation where it is likely that you will get shot, try to arrange and position yourself so that the subsequent wounds are not as likely to be crippling or life threatening. Make yourself as difficult of a target as you can, and try to arrange yourself so that any hits you do take are at less than advantageous angles as far as the BG is concerned. Actually shooting the bad guy is only a secondary concern. Your own survival is the primary concern.

It does you no good at all if you manage to hit the BG COM, inflicting a fatal wound, if in the process the BG hits you COM, inflicting a fatal wound. I guess that you would have the dying satisfaction of knowing that you took the scumbag with you. Personally, I'd rather avoid the BG's fire if possible. Remember, handguns aren't death rays. Unless you manage to get a CNS hit, the BG will still be able to keep firing, for a few seconds at least. If you are just standing there firing away, the BG is VERY likely to get some hits on you.
Old May 18, 2005, 01:38 PM   #52
Para Bellum

Quote:
My question is, if the bad guy is already shooting at you, how many hits can HE get in the seconds your drawing and acquiring? He's already drawn and acquired.
This is a very good example for an interesting phenomenon I have experienced in many threads here: I can't remember opening the thread with a scenario, where one is at gun point and "in the sights" of a bad guy...

Quote:
I don't shoot IPSC, but common sense says that if he has me in his sights, its a higher priority to get me out of his sights before stopping to return fire.
Try it (or IDPA etc). It is great fun and dramatically increseases your skills. I agree with your common sense. If you are in the sights, there is only one thing to do: get out.
But, e.g. if a bad guy just has his handgun in - say - one hand, not really aimed, there might be enough time (1 - 1,5 sec) to draw and hit him first. You can still run after you hit him first and hard...
Old May 18, 2005, 03:06 PM   #53
Relayer

Well, your inital post did say "...return/open fire...". One would correctly infer that one situation that you are addressing is that you are under fire, couldn't they?

The post your quote above says "if the bad guy is shooting at you...".